Hello Pittsburgh

riversights

If you are at the Omni Wm Penn hotel you can go out the back door there are some place to eat along that street or the restaurant in the lobby was very good also ..reasonable prices

One tip ...do not bother lining up for the AQ desk in the lobby area..

you cannot check in with them until the morning

people stood in line for a while only to find out they just had some general info

Enjoy

Lyn

While I was on the boat last week, she broke her shaft. Yep, it's as bad as it sounds too, so when you get on in Pittsburgh, expect a towboat alongside to help her along. Don't go looking for a paddlewheel either; it was disassembled while the boat sat in Augusta, Kentucky and Cincinnati last week.

I will say though that even with a cracked shaft I enjoyed myself so much on this past trip that I booked a week long trip out of New Orleans for later this year.

Edited by Calliope

Here are two photos, the first is showing a z-drive being removed. On the second you can see the partially disassembled paddlewheel. The photos were taken in Maysville on Monday.

Calliope, you don´t have any own photos of the disassembled paddlewheel by chance?

steamboats

Calliope,

Did they totally disassemble the paddlewheel already? But to replace the shaft they still need a big crane... That´s the second time within the last two years...

steamboats

The shaft cracked sometime last Wednesday night while heading towards Huntington, WVa. When we left Huntington the next evening for Augusta, KY the wheel was chained so it wouldn't roll. In Augusta they started to disassemble the wheel, and nearly finished the massive job the next day while in Cincinnati.

Yes, I have photos of the boat's wheel being taken apart while in Augusta, but I have no way to post them here.

Edited by Calliope

We are thankful for the news reel, even if the message is a sour note.:( Does this event change our planning, that is, on the personal level? I'm not sure how to even ask the question, but you experienced river hands will know how to respond. We really don't care if we are drifting, or tied up at the dock; it's all adventure and romance to us! Something to horrify the folks back home!:D

OP, to reply to your original question about Pittsburgh food: If you want to try something that is not gourmet but is a local tradition, go to Primanti's for a sandwich. They put the fries, slaw, etc. inside the big sandwich. Messy and tasty. There is a Primanti's in Market Square, downtown, and in the Strip District, not far from downtown. Another Pittsburgh favorite is pierogies.

You might also be interested to know that Thursday through Sunday is the Pittsburgh Regatta, with lots of crowds, lots of things happening on the rivers, food booths all over, and much more. You can probably get schedules and maps at your hotel. And I understand you will be staying for the fireworks on Friday night and then sailing afterwards.

Bon Voyage!

According to Travelpulse the AQ is on her way to Pittsburgh now without doing any further stops. The paddlewheel shaft is broken plus one z-drive was defunct. The z-drive has been replaced in Maysville. The paddlewheel shaft is not so easy to replace or repair. I assume they first have to determine whether it can be repaired. If it has to be replaced this can be a longer task (the shaft has to be produced on order, it´s not an "ordinary" replacement part).

shipgeeks, the paddlewheel shaft is the metal "stick" the paddlewheel is mounted around, it´s the center of the paddlewheel.

steamboats

shipgeeks,

You might check out this page. Use "find a vessel" and search for the American Queen. At least you know when she passed through the last lock. Currently it´s still Hannibal.

You might also try marinetraffic.com but the coverage is pretty bad on the Ohio river.

steamboats

I couldn´t find a current position on marinetraffic. The AQ is accompanied by the towboat Enterprise.

Friends of mine saw her near Marietta and thought she´d be at Hannibal lock at 8:30 pm but it took her two more hours to arrive there.

steamboats

A friend of mine (who´s onboard) posted on FB that they are under their own power again and the towboat has left. They are 60 miles downriver of Pittsburgh. According to the lock website they´ve arrived at New Cumberland lock by 11:30 am (and are still in).

steamboats

As of the 11pm news, the boat still wasn't in Pittsburgh and they showed video of it being tug boated up the river. I hope they can fix things, but I don't hold out a lot of hope as there isn't a repair facility in the area.

Yep, Darcie, there used to be Dravo shipyards. But either they can fix it on their own or they do need a new paddlewheel shaft which would take quite a time. I´m not sure whether the second z-drive has been built in again or whether she´s running on just one z-drive. That might be easier to repair. According to my friend (crew) they were able to get rid of the towboat Enterprise earlier yesterday. So I assume they are back on two z-drives.

steamboats

I do wish the company would post something here in the way of information about the broken shaft. I can understand their reluctance to advertise the negative, but all this speculation could be doing them more harm than the real facts.

Jim L

I do wish the company would post something here in the way of information about the broken shaft. I can understand their reluctance to advertise the negative, but all this speculation could be doing them more harm than the real facts.

Jim L

Or at least something on their website

Most of the news is old stuff 2013

No wonder bookings are slow

AQ will simply remove the shaft in Pittsburg If it is repairable, they will weld it , machine it, and then stress relieve it. This will take at least a few days if they can find a repair shop that can take it immediately..then they will still have to install it and reassemble the wheel. Then this will happen again unless they fix the design. In the meantime they may be able to sail downstream and make their ports on time, but they will not have enough power to up stream and meet their posted ports, in my opinion.