Alaska: Sept vs Late May Pearl vs Jewel

With the new KSF promo, i have the ability to sail in May vs September on the Jewel vs The Pearl for the same price in a 2 BR fam suite (SC).

Would you trade this out if the price was identical?

I know late May is considered pretty decent, and sept is not. I have been on the Pearl, but not on the Jewel.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts!

We sailed the jewel at the end of May in a 2 bedroom. Loved it! It was our first cruise. It doesn't go to glacier bay, but my DH enjoyed it so much we are going back on the pearl to see glacier bay. My evil plan worked!

I have been on Jewel and Pearl. I like both ships, but if everything was the same; I would choose Pearl.

Reasons: I like the décor of the buffet on Pearl and I like the aft lounge décor and location.

As you can see these are minor differences.

I have been to Alaska twice in Sept. (1998 and 2009) and both times it was rainy and cold. The other time in Alaska in June 2-9 2002, it was cold, windy and rainy.

My sister cruised first sailing in May in 1999 and had gorgeous, warm weather. BFF cruised first sailing this May and had beautiful, warm weather. Alaska weather is hard to predict.

Done them both, both times last week of May. First time, warm and sunny every day the entire cruise. The next time, real Alaska weather, cloudy, cool, drizzly, frequently. Both ships are very similar. Late May is good because of the long days, still light until about 11 pm. I would go in May and either ship is great.

General information- Sept is the worse weather potential. Expect an average of 3 days of rain and cool temp. Significant negative is by second week, it is dark by 7pm. Cutting into a lot of scenic sailing. I only consider Sept cruise, when they give them away, which they used to, picked up several in the $299 range.

There are no guarantees on Alaska weather, but historically, May is significantly dryer.

The other BIG difference is Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. In my opinion, it is "necessary" to purchase the add on ship excursion. It is grossly superior to any cruise ship sailing. I have been there multiple times and it's an always factor in my trip planning. This adds at least $200pp. If glaciers are your priority and you aren't going to purchase any tours, then Glacier Bay is your only choice.

We have sailed to AK in September 7 times (#8 coming up in about 9 weeks.) We love going in September and other than last year, we've had good to great weather in September.

As for the Pearl vs the Jewel, we have been on the Pearl twice and the Jewel once, although our Sept cruise will be our second time on the Jewel. To me they are so similar that I really don't have a preference.

I've sailed Alaska in late May and early September. I prefered the late May sailing. Why? Mountains are still covered in snow and a good bit of ice sailing near the glaciers. Of course if you like to see the trees change colors Sept is a good time.