Windstar cabin question

acruisefan

We are in the middle of cabin selection for a cruise on the Windstar. I have been on it sister ship, Windspirit, and know that cabins 101 and 102 are smaller due to the tapered hull. I do not want to book those even though they are cheaper (cat. B). I know there are a few other forward cabins, that are cat. B, but I think they are booked.

Another cabin that is available (cabin 120 - BX category) is $400 more, but of standard size. However, it is noted that this cabin has a 3rd berth, as do several other cabins in various categories.

Has anyone been in a cabin with a 3rd berth? I expect they would be the same on Windstar or Windspirit. Does it hang down and make your ceiling lowered, even when closed up? I am thinking that since I may be paying $400 more, I definitely don't want a compromised space since we don't have a 3rd person in the cabin. Thanks!

We have been in 3rd berth cabins on both the Wind Spirit and Wind Star. The berth is located above the bed and, if not in use, you won't even know whether it is a storage area or berth. To be quite honest, without doing a bit of research on our past cruises I really couldn't tell you which of our cabins did or did not have the berth.

The only thing you will lose is the additional storage space over the bed - which, unless you are an extremely heavy packer, you won't need.

Did some research - here is a photo of Wind Spirit cabin 138 with 3rd berth:

ry%3D480

I thought the 3rd berth on Wind Star was over head of the newly renovated seating area (behind the mirror). I was on the ship in March but had a cabin on deck 2 (no 3rd berth) but I am pretty sure that I have seen a photo (sorry can't find it) showing the 3rd berth over the seating area (not over the bed). Perhaps someone else should verify this. Either way it should not have a large impact on the enjoyment of your cruise, however my preference would be to pick a cabin without the 3rd berth

Called Windstar and questioned them. Was told that in most cases the 3rd berth is over the bed. I was then told that if someone has a specific cabin in mind they can check for you. I had her check 138 on Wind Spirit and it is over the bed in that cabin.

As Sunprince noted, either way it should not impact your cabin space. Here is a picture of the seating area on Wind Star. THIS IS NOT A 3RD BERTH CABIN; however, it does give you a feeling of where the berth would be located if it were over the seating area.

ry%3D480

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to book a cabin with the 3rd berth if I liked the location and price. We've never had a need to use the overhead storage spaces.

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...