Dress Code for Dinner?

Not snobbery, but the statement of being bottom of the barrel is closer to the truth than many may think. Even with the club benefits, many old style cruisers are leaving the RCL brand, hence why RCL is seeking a new (younger) demographic with reduced prices and dumbing down of dress codes to attract this new clientele. They must fill the ships.

Celebrity is also in decline, offering an overpriced, over hyped product, and are over reliant on selling perception.

Just my thoughts.

Duh. All cruise lines sell perception!

I don't see reduced prices but selling to a younger demographic is the only way for Royal Caribbean or any business to have a future. Times change and cruise lines must change with the times. So called old style cruisers would be leaving anyway. That's nature.

Time to ditch that TA. Innovative ships, restaurants, and activities...I believe your TA needs to be enlightened. Not a cheerleader, but come on...the bottom of the barrel- and you bought that????

I like some things about RCCL but for some cruisers that want the traditional old time cruising RCI's Celebrity and Azamara would be better fits and Royal's mega ships would be bottom of the barrel .

To those who want 50 eateries and amusement park Royal would be on top.

For some smaller the better , to others the more the merrier.

I personally would not want to get off in a port with 5000 plus passengers but ships with less than 3000 would be fine.

For now Royal has both sides covered

:cj

Duh. All cruise lines sell perception!

I don't see reduced prices but selling to a younger demographic is the only way for Royal Caribbean or any business to have a future. Times change and cruise lines must change with the times. So called old style cruisers would be leaving anyway. That's nature.

Younger demographic becomes older demographic .They have to keep both sides happy .Old style cruisers will be here forever and ever

Younger demographic becomes older demographic .They have to keep both sides happy .Old style cruisers will be here forever and ever

The new older demographic will have different a style than the old, old style. Look at pictures from the past. Like how people dressed at Baseball games. I don't dress the same as my parents did when they cruised 20 years ago. Style changes. When the younger demographic becomes the older demographic their younger demographic will be different. Nothing is forever and ever!

The new older demographic will have different a style than the old, old style. Look at pictures from the past. Like how people dressed at Baseball games. I don't dress the same as my parents did when they cruised 20 years ago. Style changes. When the younger demographic becomes the older demographic their younger demographic will be different. Nothing is forever and ever!

Point is people still go to baseball games,ride bikes,sail boats,hike in parks and sail on simple ships without the amusement parks.The style of dress has nothing to do with it.

Point is people still go to baseball games,ride bikes,sail boats,hike in parks and sail on simple ships without the amusement parks.The style of dress has nothing to do with it.

But the discussion is about dress. Ten years from now dress will be different in some way.

You have just started the 1,000,000,000 post this year on this very subject.

Why doesn't anyone search the subject before asking a question??

Maybe we just like seeing you throw a hissy fit....

A positive response to the OP as to how to search the topic would be so much more helpful than a negative response...

Or how about just a helpful answer to the OP or no response at all...

To the OP, just keep asking questions, someone here will always be willing to help and just ignore the rest:):)

Maybe we just like seeing you throw a hissy fit....

A positive response to the OP as to how to search the topic would be so much more helpful than a negative response...

Or how about just a helpful answer to the OP or no response at all...

He simply doesn't DO positive or helpful answers, it's not in his nature! :rolleyes: But you're right, the hissy fits can be rather entertaining! :D

Edited by LetsGetWet!

I have to say I was "disappointed" in the level of dress on my very recent Oasis cruise. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised based on all the threads here (with many defending very casual dress in MDR and even on Formal night), plus the fact that it was Caribbean in July. But it was only my second RCCL cruise (last one was in 2008 in the Med), vs. about 5-6 Celebrity and 2-3 Princess over the past 15 years. Maybe it's a time thing (general trend toward casual), or maybe that's how RCCL in the Caribbean has always been. I missed my experiences on X and Princess - there was always just something enjoyable to me about looking nice for dinner (and other people looking nice too -- I do like to people-watch). Certainly many did on Oasis, but there was A LOT of very casual dress in the evening. Personally, I felt like it did cheapen the experience -- there's just something wrong in my mind about being served "gourmet" meals while surrounded by people in shorts and t-shirts. Oh well, I'll just keep my expectations low next time.

Maybe, just maybe Royal should take the lead. If they want people to dress their best, formal and smart casual, they should start by increasing the quality of the food served to match the dress code.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We'll said! Just two of the reasons why we, along with others, have moved.

Disappointed by others in shorts and t shirts are you? As you stated, since you have read about the changes in attire, you should have been prepared. Times have changed as well as the food. In the 1,000,000 clothing posts on cruise critic, the majority seem to enjoy a relaxed code, easier to get ready as well as faster. I am in the majority, shorts and t except for formal night when I wear a tasteful jockstrap and cup with my clean wife beater shirt,:D but don't worry, I will not wear my hat inside.

because they want to watch your post count go up because you feel the need to respond even know the question has already been answered....

Disappointed by others in shorts and t shirts are you? As you stated, since you have read about the changes in attire, you should have been prepared. Times have changed as well as the food. In the 1,000,000 clothing posts on cruise critic, the majority seem to enjoy a relaxed code, easier to get ready as well as faster. I am in the majority, shorts and t except for formal night when I wear a tasteful jockstrap and cup with my clean wife beater shirt,:D but don't worry, I will not wear my hat inside.

Obviously, you are from the North, this is possibly why you pronounce and spell the specific headwear as CUP and not CAP, pronounced CAP in the South.

This appears to confirm the divide.;)

Note you are sailing RCI after many years away. You will notice the difference, and suggest you set your expectations to the lowes possible level, this to ensure you will not be disappointed.

I have been sailing RCI every December for the past several years, and nope I'm not disappointed in the least.

Obviously, you are from the North, this is possibly why you pronounce and spell the specific headwear as CUP and not CAP, pronounced CAP in the South.

This appears to confirm the divide.;)

I'm pretty sure he's not talking about headwear...

Matj2000, don't like the question, don't comment and move on or better yet if you don't like the question don't open the link!!!

I think you make some great points. I think you are particularly right on people taking things out of context - this really isn't Cunard or the Queen Mary. It's a lovely relaxed cruise ship perfect for the majority of us to not worry about our attire too much. I do get the impression that those who get worked up about what others are wearing need to find a hobby.

I sort of agree, but it would nice if the dress code "suggestion" was adhered to and these threads would be a thing of the past. Much like in the work world you have employees that do what is expected and what the employee handbook says they should do, then you have those that do less than is required but because of the problem with firing employees in todays world they continue to be employed. Other employees that do adhere to the rules as do other cruisers that adhere to the rules don't like it but have to put up with it.

i find it funny about this snobbery about dressing up on formal night...Just came from a cruise travel agent who told me RCI is near the bottom of the barrel when it comes to cruise lines...I like royal, but when she put it in that perspective, it was enlightening. come on people lighten up

I would find a different cruise travel agent, and quick.

Glad they're dumbing down the dress code as that is what has brought me back. After a couple cruises on Oceania I'm coming back to RCI as Oceania's prices have really gone up. Pretty much same 11-day Baltic cruise, $14K (used to be around $10-11K) for 2 without air in a standard cabin (they're real nice), or grand suite on RCI for $8K for 2. With the extra money they can nickle and dime me all they want. I'll just ignore the photographers and announcements, and settle for average fare when it comes to food, maybe eat in the specialty restaurants a good bit if they're that much better. Maybe do Noma for dinner the few days we're in Copenhagen prior to the cruise.

Depends on what they're looking for. I left RCI for Oceania because I wanted a nicer experience, no formal nights, awesome food, no photographers, no bingo, only necessary announcements (e.g. we've been cleared by customs, go ashore at your leisure), etc.

I don't mind the dumbing down the dress code, but they haven't. The passengers have dumbed it down. The recommended attire is the same as it has been. As long as that suggestion is in the travel documents that everyone signs and agrees too, I will follow them, and will still look down at those that don't.

With the cost of flights going up & up and charges for luggage, I prefer to pack light and leave the suit at home and on formal nights I find a dress shirt and tie appropriate enough.

Spend thousands of dollars on a cruise, another hundreds to thousand for airfare and you have a concern about a jacket taking up too much room in your luggage or having to spend an extra $25 for a checked bag. I don't buy it. Just admit you don't want to adhere to the suggested attire agreement and want to do it "your" way.

Spend thousands of dollars on a cruise, another hundreds to thousand for airfare and you have a concern about a jacket taking up too much room in your luggage or having to spend an extra $25 for a checked bag. I don't buy it. Just admit you don't want to adhere to the suggested attire agreement and want to do it "your" way.

LOL, it's amazing what some people will do to save money on airline-related travel. Our friends who were joining us on a cruise and don't fly much booked Spirit Airways, even after I told them which flights we would be on (JetBlue and Delta). They probably saved $50 each on the ticket but had to stand in 90 minute check-in lines and pay fees, fees, fees out the wazoo. And then they spent $900+ on alcoholic beverages for a week.

Just off a weekend cruise on the Enchantment, which I guess is as casual as it gets. I did MTD and there were very few men with jackets or suits on formal night. A lot of long or short sleeved collared shirts but that was it.

Not as bad as last month when the table next to us had all men who wore baseball caps and tee shirts, every night.

Just off a weekend cruise on the Enchantment, which I guess is as casual as it gets. I did MTD and there were very few men with jackets or suits on formal night. A lot of long or short sleeved collared shirts but that was it.

Not as bad as last month when the table next to us had all men who wore baseball caps and tee shirts, every night.

PLEASE tell me that they wore pants, too. ;) :D