Ideal Lens For Food Photographs Of Food

How does the camera mimic the crop factor of a larger sensor? I can understand a "digital" zoom cropping smaller than the 1.5x of the APS-C but 1.3x would require capturing some of the image circle outside the edge of the APS-C sensor.

Dave

I don't actually know - never gave it any thought, I just know it's listed as a feature of the D7100. I do see your point though - 1.3x should technically be bigger than 1.5x. A little googling implies it's 1.3x of the DX sensor - so 1.3x of 1.5x which translates to 1.95x of Full Frame.

To me it seems a bit pointless an one can just crop curing post and get the same results. there's some details in here if you're bored: http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7100/features01.htm I guess it makes sense for movie mode if you need the reach

I don't actually know - never gave it any thought, I just know it's listed as a feature of the D7100. I do see your point though - 1.3x should technically be bigger than 1.5x. A little googling implies it's 1.3x of the DX sensor - so 1.3x of 1.5x which translates to 1.95x of Full Frame.

To me it seems a bit pointless an one can just crop curing post and get the same results. there's some details in here if you're bored: http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7100/features01.htm I guess it makes sense for movie mode if you need the reach

Reading it cleared it up. It is a digital zoom feature. Sort of an in-camera electronic teleconverter. I wonder if they tried real hard, they could make that a little more vague? :)

Dave

but it's not even a digital zoom, it just gives you a "pre-cropped" image straight out of camera.

from the specs:

DX (24x16) image area: 6000 x 4000 [L]

1.3x (18x12) image area: 4800 x 3200 [L]

"Pre-cropped" is what a digital zoom is. It samples a smaller section of the image in-camera. If it sounds a lot like the cropping you might do in post-process the's because it is! :)

Phrasing it like they do sounds all techie and cool, but it is just a digital zoom like you find on any other camera.

Dave

Edited by pierces

Getting a bit nitpicky here but I always thought of digital zoom as including an upscaling step so the resulting image size is the same as in the native resolution of the sensor (or whatever resolution is in use). If I shoot a "normal" pic with my Canon S100, I get a 12mp image. If I take a pic zoomed all the way in to "full" digital zoom I still get a 12mp image.

with the D7100 one gets a 15mp image with the 1.3x crop mode active vs the 24mp "normal" size.

Either way I think we can agree it's a dumb gimmick that is better accomplished by shooting is "full" DX mode and cropping in post :)

Getting a bit nitpicky here but I always thought of digital zoom as including an upscaling step so the resulting image size is the same as in the native resolution of the sensor (or whatever resolution is in use). If I shoot a "normal" pic with my Canon S100, I get a 12mp image. If I take a pic zoomed all the way in to "full" digital zoom I still get a 12mp image.

with the D7100 one gets a 15mp image with the 1.3x crop mode active vs the 24mp "normal" size.

Either way I think we can agree it's a dumb gimmick that is better accomplished by shooting is "full" DX mode and cropping in post :)

You are correct. The typical digital zoom does upsample. I assume they don't do that in this case since in-camera upsampling is rarely as sophisticated as PC-based software. Who knows?

All of the sales-speak is a good reason to avoid the marketing pages put out by the manufacturer and find a nice unbiased review!

Dave

Edited by pierces

Just got back from a short cruise and thought that I would share a picture. This was from the Crown Grill on the Golden Princess. Dark restaurant but happened to get a table with a little down light. Shot without flash 35mm f/6.3 ISO 9000. With some color correction I think it came out pretty good.

Princess%20Catalina%202014-9944-L.jpg

Just got back from a short cruise and thought that I would share a picture. This was from the Crown Grill on the Golden Princess. Dark restaurant but happened to get a table with a little down light. Shot without flash 35mm f/6.3 ISO 9000. With some color correction I think it came out pretty good.

Not only does the photo look good so does the food!

Just one question you say shot 35mm Full frame or crop factor?

Edited by GUT2407

Beautiful photo.

Keith