St Louis to Nashville Port or Starboard?

We are planning on booking the October 2015 Fall Colors from St Louis to Nashville. If anyone has taken this trip before, is there a preference as to which side of the boat you are on? We will be in either a C or D category cabin.

I guess I am asking what side of the boat on this itinerary is typically facing land when you are docked.

Thank you.

It depends which side of the river the boat lands as to which side of the boat will be towards land. Generally speaking, boats tie up facing the current. If the landing is on the right descending bank the boat's port side will be towards shore, and for landings on the left descending bank the boat's starboard will be towards land. In New Orleans though because of a big eddy at Canal Street and the river flowing back on itself, many times a boat will tie up facing downriver into the reversed current.

With that being said, on the AMERICAN QUEEN I recommend the boat's starboard side for a room and table in the dining room. There is a large exhaust fan on the port side that can be heard out on the guard if sitting outside your room. In the J.M. WHITE Dining Room there is a generator that can be heard in that spectacular room's port side.

On our three trips on the AQ, we have been on the starboard side each time. The first time it was by chance, the other two times by choice. It seemed that most of the time when docked, the starboard side was facing the shore. We liked to watch the shoreside activity. Of course this would vary by itinerary.

We liked port side from Pittsburgh to Cincinnati...enjoyed the natural landscape of West Virginia. Didn't notice any loud noises coming from the boat.

And I'm sure that scenery became even more spectacular off of the port side after you passed the West Virginia, Kentucky border! ;)

Col. Frank, The Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels

Yes, we will rally for the port side of the lazy journey between Pittsburgh fireworks and Cincy Landing, mainly because we had never explored that piece of geography, so it was like drifting past a mysterious shoreline in a Mark Twain dream.