Taking Wine On Board

kenmerloo

Does anybody know how strict Princess Line is about taking extra wine on board ?

Thanks

As many threads report, there is some variability. This past FEB on EMERALD, I carried on a smallish case size wine box that my 6 bottles of wine had been packaged in at TOTAL WINE in FLL. They taped up the box for me as it was a bit flimsy in places.

I fully expected to be paying corkage one way or another on the trip. We were the second group to enter the building and things weren't quite setup yet. One of the crew noticed my box after security scan and I told him I wanted to get checked in and my place in line for boarding first and I would return to see him later.

When I did return, he had recalled we were with another couple as we sailed with friends that trip. He automatically was allowing 4 bottles for us (I don't recall if I had even thought of leveraging our friends to get more bottles past the table). In any case, it didn't matter much, as I expected to be assessed corkage in the MDR for excess bottles.

So, I also told him I did not want to open the box until I got it safely to the cabin since the store had taped it up and it was a bit flimsy. So, he just wrote me up for 2 bottles charged on my Cruise Card (remember I had checked in and returned to see him). And he gave me 4 of the bottle stickers off his roll for me to put on the bottles myself. In other words, he took me at my word that I had 6 bottles (it was the truth).

So I think if you are cooperative and reasonable, they can be too. I was not worried about paying less or nothing at the port since I expected to get charged in the DR and don't drink a lot in the room.

I think the new policy is really just annoying to folks who plan to drink wine in their room because that used to be free. Princess does continue to have a pretty reasonable corkage fee (not that I am in favor of an increase mind you).

Someone booked in a balcony pays a lot more than I do for my inside, and we both get to use the same ship facilities, food, etc. Paying more doesn't mean they can take on more wine either. The rule is 1 bottle per passenger 21 or over. Not saying it's fair, just that it's the way the rule reads, and that I would expect them to enforce it that way.

Don't get me wrong, I can see your point about 1 passenger over 21- 1 bottle.

However, the solo cruiser actually pays for 2 people even if they stay in an inside cabin. If the cruise line would allow solo cruisers to pay for 1 person in a 2 person cabin most ships would be sailing with a lot less passengers. I for one would book 2 cabins, one for my DW and one for me because I snore rather loud :D . People that book a balcony do not pay extra for the common facilities of the ship, they pay extra for the type of accommodation they are staying in and/or the location on the ship.

To go back to the bottle issue, I think they could/should give the solo cruisers some leeway with this. After all they are alone and might need an extra drink ones in a while ;).

Theo

Personally I am an elite member and if Princess checks me and asks me to pay corkage on wine - that's fine but I will stop buying wine in the dining room. That is so ridiculous - most people like to have a drink in their room - my husband and I don't crazy - we might buy a bottle or two of wine for the room.

Thanks Theo for having my back. I have every intention of following whatever rules Princess has in place - one bottle or two. And I will be content with whatever the answer is. I enjoy my vacations way too much to allow minor details to annoy me.

Reason I asked is other cruise lines it is two per stateroom. And I read someplace - perhaps on CC that the rule is one per adult OR two per stateroom. I will followup directly with Princess to get the final word and then I personally will abide by the rules and be very content in doing so. :)

Don't get me wrong, I can see your point about 1 passenger over 21- 1 bottle.

However, the solo cruiser actually pays for 2 people even if they stay in an inside cabin. If the cruise line would allow solo cruisers to pay for 1 person in a 2 person cabin most ships would be sailing with a lot less passengers. I for one would book 2 cabins, one for my DW and one for me because I snore rather loud :D . People that book a balcony do not pay extra for the common facilities of the ship, they pay extra for the type of accommodation they are staying in and/or the location on the ship.

To go back to the bottle issue, I think they could/should give the solo cruisers some leeway with this. After all they are alone and might need an extra drink ones in a while ;).

Theo

Very good point.

Thanks Theo for having my back. I have every intention of following whatever rules Princess has in place - one bottle or two. And I will be content with whatever the answer is. I enjoy my vacations way too much to allow minor details to annoy me.

Reason I asked is other cruise lines it is two per stateroom. And I read someplace - perhaps on CC that the rule is one per adult OR two per stateroom. I will followup directly with Princess to get the final word and then I personally will abide by the rules and be very content in doing so. :)

Passage contract states one bottle per person of drinking age. And that is one bottle for a one day repo or a 28 day cruise from LA to Hawaii and Tahiti. Talk about unfair :(

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

Passage contract states one bottle per person of drinking age. And that is one bottle for a one day repo or a 28 day cruise from LA to Hawaii and Tahiti. Talk about unfair :(

I agree that this is the most glaring inequity of the Princess wine policy...maybe 1 bottle for every 7 days would be more equitable.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We have never been asked about wine being taken on board with us. We usually take a 3 liter box wine. For us easier and no breakage. We would have gladly paid the addl 15 but were never asked even if we had wine. We've cruised Princess out of NYC and Vancouver

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Do backpacks get X rayed when returning to the ship in each port ?

Everything you bring onboard at port stops goes through the X-ray machine.

I put a 3 liter box of wine in my checked luggage and have never been called down to pay a corkage fee although I would be more than happy to do so. I don't know if the box shows up when they are scanning the bags or not.