Happy Ohio River voyagers

riversights

Contra the sad sacks who have registered disappointment, we experienced the American Queen's slow voyage down river from Pittsburgh as "fabulous" (like right out of the 50s). It was a near perfect 20th anniversary: "lost time on the river" (what every romantic dreams of). We dined along The Strip in Pittsburgh at every little shack mentioned in the comments, and when we arrived at Cincy, we started over...across the river in Bellevue and Covington. The recommended "opera creams" were too rich for me, but two scoops of UDF fresh peach ice cream was just right. Oh, back up river, my wife met Mothman, but she's still with me.:D

I'm deuced glad that you enjoyed your AMERICAN QUEEN voyage down the beautiful Ohio. I also had a great time on my recent boat trip, and have booked a week long trip for my partner and I later this year.

I must say though, don't take away my opera creams, and Greater's Ice Cream has it way over UDF!

Yes, Greater's got raves, even from the crew pampering us at our table-for-two in the J.M. White Dining Room aboard the AQ. Alas, something had to be reserved for "next time" (there must be one). We hope to do the Green Derby, as well. But we sampled a lot of the Taylor's Daughters District up and down Fairfield on foot, and were squired around Covington (and beyond), starting at Pompillio's. Bocce is both fascinating and incomprehensible.:D

Next time you're in these part, and branch out a bit, Aglamesis Brothers' ice cream is almost as good as Greaters'. For opera creams there aren't any richer than Aglamesis'! They're my favorites. Their store on Oakley Square dates back to the early 1900s; its marble soda fountain, stained glass lighting, and pressed tin ceilings are so charming. Best of all Aglamesis' is on the bus line, if you're in town without a car.

Algamesis Brothers is one we'll tuck away for next time. I'll make sure my Hertz driver (who squired us around the Kentucky shore and Cincy) gets the message!:D We are always in the hunt for excellent local ice cream (my wife seeks local popcorn, as well). A voyage is not complete without sampling local foods (like goetta) and listening to the cardinals calling to each other; we don't need to spend our money at faux honky tonks and franchised drive-ins. But a sausage festival, YES!:)