Mid-May pre-cruise

zarleydog

We are planning the following prior to our May 20th sailing from Whittier.

Tues 5-16: Arrive at Fairbanks, late afternoon, drive to Healy or Denali.

Wed 5-17 : Drive (or bus) into Denali as far as possible, stay at Healy or Denali.

Thur 5-18 : Drive from Denali to Seward, stop at Portage glacier and/or the wildlife refuge.

Fri 5-19 : Take the six hour Kenai Fjords tour in the morning. Drive to Anchorage.

Sat 5-20 : Hang around Anchorage, then take the Magic Bus to Whittier.

We could save a few hundred on the car rental by flying into Anchorage and driving to Talkeetna the first day, but then we have a 150 mile drive to Denali the next day.

Is Denali NP worth the effort at that time of year? It looks like the busses won't be running yet, and the road will only be open to mile 30 or so.

I think you're trying to cover far too much ground, and as a result much of it will be unproductive as far as seeing much. With only 5 days to work with, I think you'd be better off flying into Anchorage, drive to Talkeetna and flightsee from there to Denali if the weather cooperates (which isn't highly likely), then head down to the Kenai. I think you'll find this to be much more enjoyable, as all of the routes/communities have lots to see:

Tues 5-16 - arrival and day in Anchorage

Wed 5-17 - to Talkeetna and back (no luggage to pack)

Thurs 5-18 - to Seward

Fri 5-19 - in Seward and area (no luggage to pack)

Sat 5-20 - to Anchorage and on to Whittier.

Murray

I agree with Murray, you are grossly underestimating time and distance needed for Alaska touring. You are going too early for Denali Park, so save that for your next later trip. No guarantee that 30 miles will be open. Could be 10. You don't have enough time for just the "drive" there in my opinion. Going back and forth to Talkeetna as a day trip is doable. But with going into Anchorage, if you get there in the afternoon, then a nice drive and an overnight there. Determine if this is the priority??? I would also suggest a one way Avis car with a Anchorage pick up and Whittier drop off, makes far better use of your short time and no back tracking taking valuable time.

Other recommendation I would suggest would be a round trip Anchorage car, then train to Seward, superior scenery, then a cab directly to Whittier sailing day. Would free up some time for a look at Anchorage which is worthwhile. If at all possible add days and go later for more access into Denali. It's one of the very "top" attractions and best bargain around for wildlife. :)

Yukon and Budget Queen, thanks for the reality check.

I'm not afraid to rack up the driving miles for a few days since Captain Steubing takes over at Whittier, but it seems the Anchorage/Kenai peninsula have more than enough to fill the five days. Fjord tour, Portage & Exit glaciers, wildlife and sealife centers, Talkeetna...

Denali may be better seen as the centerpiece of a multi-day tour later in the season.

Archived