Trying to get on CC Boards ~ Let's talk about it!

This is a thread on the Celebrity board about the problems accessing CC and I think it does no harm to say something here as well.

I understand this is a free service for us so I really do try to be patient and understanding. And I had decided I needed to cut back on my time here, so perhaps a greater power has stepped in to assist:D

But that would not explain that it seems to be so widespread and everyone else is having the same problem! LauraS posted on the Celebrity thread that they were "working on it", but it seems to me to be worse, not better, since she posted that.

And to top it off, the advertisers can't be happy that half the time even the ads come up as "Web Site Not Responding".

If you're having a problem, too, how about posting it here so that CC will be aware that this is no small problem or limited geograpic area.

Heather - I saw that post on the Celebrity board also, and after reading I figured that Laura knew about the problem, so didn't bother saying anything on the board.

However it's driving me crazy. I know patience is a virtue, but this is ridiculous. Sometimes the board finally comes up and it's BLANK. I wait and wait, and nothing.

I pity those posters that are on dial-up.

It seems to be fine in the early am and late at night, but during the late morning and afternoons, it's down. Obviously too much traffic.

I do wish they would please do something about it.

I just assume that they know that the system is overloaded and have made their decision. But I really would like to know if this is the case. Some services will indicate if they will be having down or slow time. It would be nice to know, if they know. s.

Some days I get in only 30% of the time on the first try. Lunch time is worse, but it also happens early in the morning and at night. :(

It seems like too many hits on the server and it just can't handle it.

The poor server appears that it could be running on over load or there is another problem with the system possible data base issues, indexing, etc. there are a so many things that can be wrong. :eek:

Hope they get it fixed soon.

I just assume that they know that the system is overloaded and have made their decision. But I really would like to know if this is the case. Some services will indicate if they will be having down or slow time. It would be nice to know, if they know. s.

This is posted at the top of all boards.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/announcement.php?f=171&announcementid=40

In the past I have had problems but none lately. I have dial up and at times its a bit slow but nothing like that in the last few days. Now the HAL site is another story, it is always so slow............jean :cool:

I've had similar problems even accessing the site. Seems to take forever to load. sometimes it just doesn't load at all. One time, the Home screen did not even load completely and the Boards screen looked different than I ever saw before.

I have twice posted replies and had the replies disappear because the board seemed to be 'stuck'. We are on cable. Had we been on dial up it probably would have been even worse.

Being somewhat addicted to the CC boards, especially when anticipating an upcoming cruise, this temporary withdrawal is very painful.

I had lots of problems getting in last evening and finally gave up. This morning, at 8a, there was a message that siad they were upgrading software and the system would be down until about 8:30a. When it came back up, it seemed OK, but later when I checked it again... same problems.

Camel... there are a lot of us with cable modems... doesn't make any difference. When the system gets cranky, it affects everybody, unless there is a geographic difference. I even tried the trick of using "boards2" instead of "boards" in the URL. That worked a lot last year, but no go this time.

Let's face it... we've created a monster here...

After having several anxiety attacks the last few days, I e-mailed Laura last night. All I was getting several times a day was blank pages with the word "done" at the bottom, or "Page cannot be found", or "techinal problem".

She sent me an e-mail this morning. There are so many cc members that that are having a problem with the system being overloaded at times by so many posters. The worst times are from 3 - 9 PM (Eastern). Those were times when I had major problems. But there are still other times when I can't get in on any board.

This site is a very popular one.

There is also another problem - some cc members leave their computers on to a particular board for hours at a time even though they are not responding to anything. That makes it hard for those of us who log off completely and then try to get back on to any board.

Okay, maybe cable modem is not the answer. Is there a geographic or time difference as some suggested? I'm on EST in Frederick Maryland (50 miles west of DC). Another thought is maybe that I've not posted much and the system is letting me through -- let's see, this is my 3rd time.

Joy

I had trouble getting to this post, as it kept coming up as a blank screen, and then I had to try three times to wait for the reply box to come up. It doesn't seem to be working very well lately, and it is a shame. I find that I give up after a few tries and don't post as often either. I would be willing to pay a reasonable membership fee if it meant the boards would be up and running on a regular basis.

Me, too. The last couple of days have been pretty "spotty". I even sent an email to the "board" yesterday (no response).

When it's good, it's very, very good! And when it's bad, it's excrutiating!!

And here I go again, tying up more broadband width....Sheesh! :eek:

Happy Sailing (and Surfing)!!!

Paul :)

We've all heard the "too many members" story - but, at most, it's only part of the problem. Otherwise, when I connect at 10-11 PM Pacific time I really shouldn't have a problem, should I?

What I surmise is that there are a number of problems which arise at different times. There's the "too many people on the system" problem. There's occasional problems with the server which presents the ads. Plus - as has been noted before - there are multiple servers in a cluster holding the databases for the boards. One of these is much more tempermental than the others. The database itself (MySQL) is known to have stability issues when there's significant traffic, also.

Add all those together, and there's some really technical issues that need to be addressed. And that doesn't even take into account any problems the vBUlletin software might have itself.

I have a cable modem at home and a T1 at work and I have had problems getting to the site for the past 2 or 3 days. It doesn't seem to matter what time I attempt to get here as I've tried several different times of day and evening.

The connection problems to this site have been around for years. This is a very frequent problem that other high traffic bullitan boards (Yahoo Groups or Live Journal for examples), don't seem to have. Very frustrating.

This site performs technically just about as poorly as any I use. Difficult if not impossible to access and almost always operates unreasonably slow.

I feel sorry for those who are addicted. Best you find an easier habit to feed!

I was unable to get on the board, last night, and tried AOL, Internet Explorer and Safari. None worked. It's nice to hear I wasn't the only one. It's worked fine today, so far, but there's a lot of catching up to do!

I have also had problems for more like a week. Blank pages after waiting and waiting. But I will try to be understanding since it's not costing me anything. (Hard, though, because I need my "fix" like others have mentioned!)

We've all heard the "too many members" story - but, at most, it's only part of the problem. Otherwise, when I connect at 10-11 PM Pacific time I really shouldn't have a problem, should I?

Dave, I'm quoting you in my reply because I trust your answers on this type of thing. Someone above mentioned that people leaving their computers signed in to cc will contribute in jamming up the system. Of this, I am very guilty and I had no idea that I could be causing a problem for other people.

Can you just give me a quickie techie answer on this. Should I sign off? Close my cc window? Will it make a difference to other people? I'm assuming I'm not the only one doing this and maybe it could make a difference. susana.

Archived