Any update on the America Queen?

riversights

We are still savoring our voyage from Pittsburgh to Cincy Landing and an extended stay in northern Kentucky, but also wondering how the rest of July went for AQ, and what the future holds. If you have been steamboatin' since we disembarked in Cincy, please give an update from down river.:D Tease us! We are dying to travel again (at least vicariously).

The AQ is currently downbound on the Ohio river and has been in Louisville recently. I assume she´s going to St. Louis.

The last I´ve heard is that the shaft will be back on Aug 4th and the paddlewheel by Aug 16th.

steamboats

We happened to be in Madison Indiana (which we first visited while on the AQ) last Friday and the AQ was there all day. The paddlewheel is still missing - she looks very strange without it!

ehschief,

You should anticipate a still missing paddlewheel. The z-drives should get you enough "power" to get to all ports on the Upper Mississippi river (unless there´s still high water and a swift current).

steamboats

Thanks to each one who replied with a newsy update for us. That's what we wanted to hear, that the AQ was still plying the great rivers, touching a port here and there. We are mooning over the holiday voyage schedule at the end of the year.:)

I called and was told that the paddle wheel is on and no ports will be missed.

Hope that is true.

Unfortunately, you were told wrong. The wheel is not on and last week, while the AQ was in Cincinnati, I was told by one of the boat's mates that August 16 is the scheduled date to return the wheel. The boat will be accompanied by a towboat as she treks up the upper Mississippi.

So, it will be interesting to see, I will make an issue, one of the parts of doing this trip is seeing the paddle wheel. The person I spoke to was Sam so we will see, if he was told to give untrue information that is a company problem and I don't take lightly to it.

It is too late to cancel, even though we have independent insurance we might still be able to. We haven't packed yet.........

WOW...jumping catfish! That's great news about the AQ. Now the multitudes will swarm all over those 50% discounts!:D

I bit on the 50% off lure and they reeled me in for the Holidays! I do expect the wheel to be on by that time.

So, it will be interesting to see, I will make an issue, one of the parts of doing this trip is seeing the paddle wheel. The person I spoke to was Sam so we will see, if he was told to give untrue information that is a company problem and I don't take lightly to it.

If I have a problem or question and I have to call the AQ's Memphis office there are a couple of CSRs that I will just hang up on. I won't mention any names as the poor things just never seem to have the answer, bless their hearts! I'd give the office another call and see what the answer is this time.

We are boarding on Saturday and will expect the worse, don't think it will ruin our time but I hate being lied to. I really have to think about packing and getting ready to go because we are leaving Thursday and literally haven't done a thing.

Please give us some gossip from your Upper Mississippi voyage. Whatever the news may be, we want to hear it and discuss it with popcorn. Meanwhile, we need to know if Mark Twain would gamble the price of a new suit on airfare to New Orleans in December (from Seattle), considering last winter's siege of bad weather. What would a river gambler advise?:)

Please give us some gossip from your Upper Mississippi voyage. Whatever the news may be, we want to hear it and discuss it with popcorn. Meanwhile, we need to know if Mark Twain would gamble the price of a new suit on airfare to New Orleans in December (from Seattle), considering last winter's siege of bad weather. What would a river gambler advise?:)

Well, you could take the daily "Coast Starlight" to LA and then catch the tri-weekly "Sunset Limited" to New Orleans. After I return from England to NYC on the QUEEN MARY 2 later this year my partner and I will be arriving back home in a sleeper on Amtrak's "Cardinal." The price is comparable to air travel too.

We must look into the rails option, especially the sleeper, not having to fight for seat or berth or dining table. We've trained to Wisconsin Dells with the plebs. What a circus! And I used to think the hubbub was entertaining.:D Now we'll take the Pullman. Thanks for a great suggestion, and maybe you will review the Queen Mary 2 just as expertly as you have the AC for us.

We must look into the rails option, especially the sleeper, not having to fight for seat or berth or dining table. We've trained to Wisconsin Dells with the plebs. What a circus! And I used to think the hubbub was entertaining.:D Now we'll take the Pullman. Thanks for a great suggestion, and maybe you will review the Queen Mary 2 just as expertly as you have the AC for us.

Thanks for the compliment, but I could never expound on the QM2 like I do the American flagged steamboats that operate on the Mississippi River System. They're my birthright!

BTW the earlier you book on Amtrak the less costly the ticket, and sleeper accommodations do sell out.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our Mississippi cruise. The paddle wheel is not on, will be back on the 16th of august. They had a tugboat push us up river. It was a disappointment but they handled it fine. We were each given $100.00 on board credit.

The cruise itself was spectacular. The crew, the shows, the lecturers were more than perfect. We had an open balcony and so enjoyed sitting outside and talking to people as they went by.

We were not able to make it all the way to St. Paul due the silt in the river and part of the channel was unpassable but we were bused and it was actually nice because we got to see some of the countryside. Eh pun the river.

I will be happy to answer any questions.

ehschief, thanks for the update. Mom and I will be on the Aug 30th cruise from St Louis to Cincinnati. It sounds like the paddle wheel should be back on by then. We have also booked an open balcony and hope to spend time people and river watching.

We look forward to more river voyage updates. We would love to be kicking water with you. That Upper Mississippi segment looks interesting; perhaps we'll hear more about it from someone. But whatever mile of river is sliding by the guard, we envy those sitting on the Front Porch!:D

Now you have opened a wide door.:) But I'll settle on one question: How did you enjoy Red Wing? We've admired that spot from the train, but it intrigues us as a steamboat landing, and we've contemplated making it a destination, of sorts, for extended stay.

We just returned from our Mississippi cruise. The paddle wheel is not on, will be back on the 16th of august. They had a tugboat push us up river. It was a disappointment but they handled it fine. We were each given $100.00 on board credit.

The cruise itself was spectacular. The crew, the shows, the lecturers were more than perfect. We had an open balcony and so enjoyed sitting outside and talking to people as they went by.

We were not able to make it all the way to St. Paul due the silt in the river and part of the channel was unpassable but we were bused and it was actually nice because we got to see some of the countryside. Eh pun the river.

I will be happy to answer any questions.

My Uncle and Aunt were on the same voyage. They posted lots of great pictures on FB. It looked like it was a wonderful trip.

Edited by iluvcruzin