Unbooked cabins

Is there a way other than doing mock bookings to see how many cabins are opened? If the ship is not full or almost full will they cancel the cruise completely?

You can check cruise fish. That can tell you the percentage of categories still available for booking. Not real accurate, as it doesn't tell you how many rooms, only categories available. So, as long as at least one room in each category is available, it will show 100% availability.

Go to the cruise line's website and start the booking process to see what's available. Most will show you a certain number of cabins but will also let you type in a specific cabin number to see if it's available. What these website don't show, however, is the number of guarantee cabins booked that have not been assigned.

Go to the cruise line's website and start the booking process to see what's available. Most will show you a certain number of cabins but will also let you type in a specific cabin number to see if it's available. What these website don't show, however, is the number of guarantee cabins booked that have not been assigned.

I have tried that and it seems there is close to a third of the ship open.

You can check cruise fish. That can tell you the percentage of categories still available for booking. Not real accurate, as it doesn't tell you how many rooms, only categories available. So, as long as at least one room in each category is available, it will show 100% availability.

Just checked cruise fish, 61%. So I was pretty close. Sept. 14, hopefully this means more price drops...

Just checked cruise fish, 61%. So I was pretty close. Sept. 14, hopefully this means more price drops...

As I said, it will give you an idea, but it's not real accurate.

It's possible for a cruise showing high availability to actually have fewer rooms available than a cruise that shows low availability.

And it doesn't account for those GTY bookings that haven't been assigned a room yet.

They are pushing lots of gty cabins lately and they don't show plus bookings go through a set pattern as shown by their historical records which means that it may be normal to at this stage have so many available cabins and therefore no sales at this time

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never heard of a cruise being cancelled due to unsold staterooms - that would be a first IMO with the mass market cruise lines. And in our experience with RCI most cruises sail full. Price reductions post final payment for short notice and last minute bookings are not uncommon to fill any remaining unsold staterooms.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

There could be lots of unbooked cabins, but that doesn't mean they aren't sailing "full"...if there are many parties with more than 2 per cabin, it means there will be unsold cabins, as the ship can only take so many souls aboard. If you have lots of families sharing a room, then they can hit the max. passenger load before all cabins are sold.

No..they will not cancel the cruise.

As I said, it will give you an idea, but it's not real accurate.

It's possible for a cruise showing high availability to actually have fewer rooms available than a cruise that shows low availability.

And it doesn't account for those GTY bookings that haven't been assigned a room yet.

I've never noticed their category percentage to be an accurate reflection of available cabins. There just has to be one cabin, so you could have 100% availability, but only have six interior cabins left--not likely, but still.

We use the Carnival booking method to figure out availability, but even it's not all that accurate. They'll only show ten cabins for each category. I should also note that just because there are 25 particular cabins open, it doesn't mean they're all actually open. Many times Carnival will assign GTY's last minute, so if there are 25 cabins and 24 GTYs, they're giving someone who wants to pick their cabin (pay more) first shot before they start assigning the others.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

Is there a way other than doing mock bookings to see how many cabins are opened? If the ship is not full or almost full will they cancel the cruise completely?

The cruise line will sell every cabin on every cruise.

Cruise lines are expert at their business. They are aware that there is no value in an unsold cabin at sailing time, so they have none. They have arrangements with agents who will pick up unsold blocks as sailing date nears. The only time a ship will sail with empty cabins is when they have hit their passenger head-count limit as a result of a number of cabins being booked with three or four passengers.

They did reroute a cruise of a 7 day one, and offered us a 11 day instead. Not too bad..:)

The cruise line will sell every cabin on every cruise.

While most Caribbean cruises go out full or very close to it, that is not the case for World Cruise or Grand Voyages, for example. The cruise lines all try to sell every cabin but that does not always happen.

While most Caribbean cruises go out full or very close to it, that is not the case for World Cruise or Grand Voyages, for example. The cruise lines all try to sell every cabin but that does not always happen.

But those are unique cruises and not the typical Caribbean cruise. And, which was the concern of the OP, would they cancel the cruise as a result of it not being fully booked? Just curious....

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Cruise lines are expert at their business. They are aware that there is no value in an unsold cabin at sailing time, so they have none. They have arrangements with agents who will pick up unsold blocks as sailing date nears. The only time a ship will sail with empty cabins is when they have hit their passenger head-count limit as a result of a number of cabins being booked with three or four passengers.

Interesting topic. Let me take it one step further. We will be 3 adults sharing a cabin on the QM2 in December (never going to be anything but full :)), but if there were unsold cabins could we ask for the 3rd adult to be given her own cabin? And if so, would they charge us the full cost of single occupancy?

Interesting topic. Let me take it one step further. We will be 3 adults sharing a cabin on the QM2 in December (never going to be anything but full :)), but if there were unsold cabins could we ask for the 3rd adult to be given her own cabin? And if so, would they charge us the full cost of single occupancy?

I'm sure you could ask for it - but I very much doubt that they would give much of a break on the pricing. On every cruise I've been on (with the exception of a few shortly after 9/11) - including trans-Atlantic re-positionings - there have been announcements, or posted signs, to the effect that the ship was sold out, so no requests for cabin changes could be accommodated.