Rain Jackets/Coats for Warm Weather

OCruisers

That says it all. Me? I have a lightweight fully lined,car coat length trench by Mulberry Street. I can layer it over a fleece sweater if needed. If it starts raining, I will go inside the ship. My coat is light enough to wear in flight and getting on board. It scrunches up to pocket sized to put in my handbag if necessary. I am bringing the microfiber fleece sweater if it turns really cold.

Both articles were less than 10$ at a thrift store, and will do me fine for the trip. I rarely need a coat or sweater where I live, so I can't justify purchasing a new, or expensive (to me) coat.

Just throwing this out there, so you all know there are alternatives.

Read this blog post. At the bottom she has great suggestions for a nice looking warm weather rain coat.

http://ladylighttravel.com/2014/04/19/choosing-a-coat-for-spring-travel/

Thanks for taking the time to post the blog information. There are some good looking things she posted! I'll have to check them out to see if any might possibly be light weight enough to work.

LuLu

ducimergirl and Bobbie Voyger .... Thanks for the suggestions. It's good to keep various alternatives in mind.

At home I have a sturdy purse size umbrella. On cruises some ports of call can be VERY windy so umbrellas don't work well.

LuLu

ducimergirl and Bobbie Voyger .... Thanks for the suggestions. It's good to keep various alternatives in mind.

At home I have a sturdy purse size umbrella. On cruises some ports of call can be VERY windy so umbrellas don't work well.

LuLu

Very true, wind AND rain can be a deal breaker for an umbrella!

storm2008blownofffeet.jpg

Are you doing a tropical cruise? I used to have a lightweight, well vented jacket that I wore during hurricanes - but finally learned to just get wet :)

If you need something heavier, I just bought a packable, lightweight jacket at Costco last weekend. It is vented, has pockets,a roll up hood & a little pack. I'll wear it over a hoodie or sweater if the weather is cold in Alaska. $49.95 - Cole Hahn.

Edited by JanineM

Are you doing a tropical cruise? I used to have a lightweight, well vented jacket that I wore during hurricanes - but finally learned to just get wet :)

A light weight well vented rain jacket is exactly what I would like to have. :)

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

A light weight well vented rain jacket is exactly what I would like to have. :)

LuLu

Don't bother looking at the cheap shops - WalMart, etc. You you need a well vented breathable rain shell. Shop around for sales on good quality Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, The North Face, REI products. Those with "pit zips" are really nice - you can unzip the under arms for extra ventilation and still stay dry. The breathable materials keep you dry on the inside while keeping the rain out. I have one Marmot Precip jacket (I've had it for years), a North Face shell (black with matching rain paints) and my new fave from Mountain Hardware.

I also have a Marmot Precip and love it for travel. You can almost always buy them steeply discounted at Sierra Trading Post. They come in normal colors like cream, gray and navy if you don't favor purple, orange, or lime green "outdoor gear" that make you look like you're about to scale a high mountain peak. The styling is pleasant. They weigh about 6 ounces, fold up small, have vents, and breathable fabric. Columbia also makes a trench called "pardon my trench" which is nice looking.

If anyone is interested in purchasing from Sierra Trading Post, go Like their Facebook page - they currently have a 30% off coupon that's good through the end of August (I think). They quite often have 20-30% off coupons, and every once in a while they'll have a 40% off coupon but those are usually posted in the afternoon and only good through midnight that day.

Of course, more frequent coupons means the "regular" price tends to stay higher, but it's still a discount over what you'd pay at a regular store.:D

For lightweight raincoats, I personally have a Lands End jacket that is "waterproof" and a goretex coat from LLBean. If I'm traveling to tropical rain forests, I leave the coats at home and just get wet. I never travel with an umbrella (much of our travel is city oriented and I find umbrellas get in my way, other people's way, and take up hands that I prefer to do other things with:p)

I have a "nicer" car coat that is water resistant but I don't use it for travel - it's not waterproof and it's just not flexible enough for my needs. I have a trench with removable liner from LLBean (I got at a thrift store) and event without the liner it's somewhat warm. Definitely a fall or possibly spring (or, winter, depending on locale) and not summer coat. LL Bean still makes the line - H2Off - but I don't see the insulated/ lined trench now, just the mesh lined one.

My husband and I both ordered Helly-Hansen rain jackets from REI before a trip to Scotland 10 years ago, and they are still going strong. Very waterproof, very packable, excellent quality, and good for layering with sweater or fleece for colder days. The one I have isn't there any more, but there are some good ones here I think. http://www.rei.com/b/helly-hansen/c/womens-casual-jackets. I think other outlets may have a bigger variety.