Upgrade to Suite Guarantee? Confused..

Yarrowfell

We are booked in a CC Cabin (a cabin we chose and like) but just noticed a Suite guarantee has come up. (final payment was 2 days ago).

We paid $1999+$498 port fees/taxes

The Suite guarantee is $2499 +$129 port fees/taxes.

I am confused what it would cost for us to upgrade. Going to ring celebrity when they open but hoping someone could explain to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are booked in a CC Cabin (a cabin we chose and like) but just noticed a Suite guarantee has come up. (final payment was 2 days ago).

I am confused what it would cost for us to upgrade. Going to ring celebrity when they open but hoping someone could explain to me.

Normally, you just pay the difference between your CC cabin and the Suite GTY, but I'm a little confused because the port fees should be pretty much the same, and taxes based on cost of the cruise. Definitely call celebrity, and good luck getting the upgrade.

Thanks. I am confused at the difference as well. I assumed port taxes/fees would be the same cost but there is a huge difference.

The difference between total price per person is only about $200 - happy to pay

The difference in base fares is $500 - will keep my CC cabin at that price.

Also, be careful that you don't lose any perks linked to your current booking, sometimes this happens with sale fares. Get everything in writing, just in case there is a question later. Also be aware that with a guarantee, you can be put in any suite, including a handicap accessible one which some dislike because of the bathroom setup.

Edited by cynbar

There has been another thread recently where various people posted that the breakdown between cruise fare and taxes & fees for a travel agents is different from the equivalent breakdown for a cruise booked direct with Celebrity [with the suggestion that it was creative accountancy by Celebrity to reduce the commissionable portion of the price]. Is it possible that the OP booked through a TA but checked the guarantee price on Celebrity's website. If so, the OP needs to approach his/her TA.

The price for the port fees for a suite G could be a typo. Best to call! Good luck.

We've had travel agent play with the numbers also, to make it look like you were getting a cabin for a lower price than what the cruise line was offering. Yet they raised the taxes and fees so that the TOTAL payment was exactly the same as the cruise line. That was a real turn off to me...especially if there was any cruise line price drop for the cabin it would never be as low as the agents advertised cabin rate. Major reason we don't book with that agent.

Could it be the lower figure $129 represents only the gov't taxes/fees, while the higher number ($498) represents both port charges and gov't taxes/fees?

I've seen cruise fares "presented" both ways depending on the source.........

Thanks everyone. We hit a hitch that means we can't upgrade (even though the room is better and cheaper), apparently you can't do a guarantee on any cabin if you have more than 2 people (we has 3). So although there are suites that fit 3 available we would have to pick one (at a much higher price) instead of a guarantee cabin :-(

Ah well. It was a nice dream :-)