Pride, LAX, Disneyland problem 1/14-15

jennbill

Have booked the Pride for 1/15. Are booking our own air. Going out a day early to do a quick Disneyland trip. Need ideas for the cheapest way to do rental car, hotel, transfer, etc. considering the distance between all three venues. Normally good at figuring these things out but struggling right now.

Unless you're in your 20's and flying down to LA from the west coast, I wouldn't suggest trying your plan. Flying and time zone changes can flat wear a person out, and then trying to do Disney, all in 1 day?

But, If you can't get in 2 days early, here's what I'd do. First of all, fly into Long Beach instead of LAX, if at all possible. I got a Hertz rental car at the airport for like $35 plus 100 free miles. Check in at the hotel, Holiday Inn Downtown, (even though I hate the location) drop off luggage and head out to Anaheim. Spend the day and evening at Disney. Drop family off at hotel. Take car back to LGB airport and get cab back to hotel (around $15). Next morning, take free hotel shuttle down to port.

Good luck

We've done roughly the same thing before, only on the Diamond Princess. Flying into LAX, I would simply get a rental car with Hertz or Enterprise (will explain why below). Take your rental car to a hotel in Long Beach---I'd personally recommend the Coast Hotel in Long Beach (http://www.coasthotels.com). It's literally walking distance from the Pride, and it has beautiful waterfront views. (Although I wouldn't walk it with luggage and/or kids in tow...the hotel has a free cruise shuttle). Check into the hotel, drive to Disneyland (about a 20-min drive with no bad traffic), enjoy your day. After Disney, drive back to the hotel, spend the night, get up the next morning and drop your rental back at the Hertz or Enterprise location nearest the pier. I forget which address is which, but if you give them a call or check online, it's easy to figure out. I believe these two agencies also offer shuttles back to the Pride cruise terminal. Soooo...to make things less complicated, you could drop the family off at the Pride, return the car, and catch the shuttle or a quick cab back to the Pride. I promise it's not nearly as complicated as it seems! Have fun!

Ooo, another thought is as the poster above mentioned. After you're done with Disney, drop your car off at the Long Beach airport or at the Long Beach location near the pier. Grab a cab back to your hotel, and then everyone can take the free Coast Hotel shuttle to the pier the next morning. It would save on an extra days' car rental.

I dont work for them, I dont have any loyalty.

But I have to say the best deals I have ever had on rental cars was on Priceline.

try putting in $14 a day... you might get a bite.

and Yes Dinseyland is really a 2 day thing at the least.

Of course, you could always do Disney's California Adventure. You only need a half day to do it entirely. And do have a back up plan as that is in the rainy season here in Southern California.

I would definately fly in to John Wanye Airport (SNA) rather than LAX. it is closer and smaller. We fly there when we go to Anaheim every year. We always stay in Anaheim (right across the street from DL) when we go. We have never cruised out of Long Beach before, but we did drive there last May from ANA to go to the Aquarium, it was about a 20-30 min drive, depending on traffic of course. DL is a place where you definatly need more than one day, but if you can only go one day make sure to stay for the fireworks and be in front of the Castle ... they are the best I have ever seen!

We have never had any problem with the time change flying from STL. IMO it is wonderful to get there with the 2 hour earlier time change ... you get more time :) (coming home is another story ;) ).

I am a first time cruiser, but if you want more info about DL or ANA, just email me .. I love OC and DL. mikayla73@yahoo.com

As a note, we did Disneyland (the original park only) in 1 day after our cruise. We saw everything, including Fantasmic and the fireworks. I felt like we had time to see everything we wanted and then some...so 1 day is fine, even with long lines...but I wouldn't try to do both parks in 1 day.

Hey jimbug, we live in Norman also!!

I'm an old hand at Disneyland so being able to hit the highlights won't be a problem. Not really interested in California Adventure on this trip.

Thanks for all the helpful info. It gives me places to research.

Disney Magic 1/99

Dawn Princess 1/00

Triumph 1/01

Spirit 1/02

Norwegian Sun 9/02

Pride 1/03

Explorer of the Seas 9/03

Golden Princess 9/04

Summit Alaska 9/05

Pride 1/06

Archived