Bay of Islands, NZ

R & R Carroll

We had to tender and it was very slow due to the sea conditions. Interesting to walk around, but if you don't get off right away, you will not be able to see the museum unless you are on an Oceania tour. Because we arrived late, all Oceania tours were given preference for tendering so many on the ship missed their private tours.

Where does Marina tender when at Bay of Islands? Is it Russell Bay or Waitangi? If it is Waitangi does Oceania provide a shuttle to Paihia or anywhere in the vicinity of the ferry docks?

Cruise ship tenders usually go to Waitangi - at least we did when on Cunard earlier this year. Buses were provided into Paihia. You can get a local ferry from Paihia to Russell.

Happy cruising.

We were in New Zealand for a bit over a month in Feb. of 2014. Bay of Islands was on the car part of our trip (small boat (56 passengers ) trip on South Island fjords for 10 days) and the weather in Feb. was delightful and the museum small but interesting and the flowers of New Zealand just downright outstanding both formal gardens and beautiful wildflowers everywhere. Loved New Zealand and I hope you have a fantastic cruise.

One word of caution -- the word summer as applied to NZ is not the same as summer in Washington DC. Most of the time I wanted a light sweater or jacket (sun protecting jacket as that was what I had) and on the South Island I put on every piece of clothing I had when we ran into misty dark weather coming from the south which was the Antarctic . Heavy rain poncho over jacket and long sleeve shirt and undershirt and mittens and winter hat (from the leaving snow storm in DC) all were lifesavers. NZ style summer is about a high of 78 or so up in the "tropical area". or so it seemed.:D

One word of caution -- the word summer as applied to NZ is not the same as summer in Washington DC. Most of the time I wanted a light sweater or jacket (sun protecting jacket as that was what I had) and on the South Island I put on every piece of clothing I had when we ran into misty dark weather coming from the south which was the Antarctic . Heavy rain poncho over jacket and long sleeve shirt and undershirt and mittens and winter hat (from the leaving snow storm in DC) all were lifesavers. NZ style summer is about a high of 78 or so up in the "tropical area". or so it seemed.:D

Thank you for the advice. We will be leaving the U.S. northeast for this trip so we will have some warmer clothing with us if needed.

Edited by R & R Carroll

Thanks for asking that R&R Carroll (I'm on the roll call for this cruise). I am looking to join a small day-long sailing trip in Bay of Islands and was confused as to location and timing and this cleared it up. :)

Can't wait for this amazing trip in just over 170 days!!

Well, I went back and looked at my pictures, and I was incorrect--we did not "sail by," that was elsewhere.

The pictures brought back some wonderful memories. Bay of Islands was beautiful and simple. We went to Puketi Forest via Paihia and then visited the Kemp House & Stone Store. We had wanted to go to the glow worm cave, but the more I thought about a cave, we changed to the forest. :o

Have a wonderful trip.

Thanks for asking that R&R Carroll (I'm on the roll call for this cruise). I am looking to join a small day-long sailing trip in Bay of Islands and was confused as to location and timing and this cleared it up. :)

Can't wait for this amazing trip in just over 170 days!!

You are most welcome. If you are still looking for a small sailing excursion, check out post 515 on our roll call, I have a couple of spots left for a day sail. Limited to 10 people.

Thanks Spindrift.