Fee for seat assignments on Air Canada?

bonsai3s

I have to admit that I was more than naïve in booking these flights. I rather panicked when I saw the flights go up and up for the March Break period for the following year, and the flights were not cheap. We paid over $800.00 round trip each person for our flights. However, we could not get access to the seat maps and even the 24 hour before flight check-in was denied.

However, lesson learned. I will now only book direct with the airlines and make sure I have a seat selected when I book and pay.

It was an education in finding out that a ticket purchased doesn't necessarily guarantee a seat on the plane.

Not sure when this charging for seats started but I booked an international flight with choice air on June 20th for a trip from CPH (Copenhagen) to ROC (Rochester NY) via YYZ (Toronto) and did not have to pay anything to select seats although the Air Canada website did make me select seats on a Travel Agents website. Did these charges start recently? I am flying Air Canada all the way, no code sharing. Maybe I lucked out but I got to choose economy seats and was not charged a penny for that and got a great fare (Tango S) through Choice Air.

Mike

I was 'happy' to at least see they are only charging on flights in Canada and between Canada and the USA. Intercontinental flights allow seats to be booked still without charge it seems.

Yes, these charges are starting to show up everywhere. Lufthansa groups, Lufthansa, Swiss and Brussels Airlines are charging for all flights in economy and I assume Austrian as well. They just started charging July 1st.

Just a tip. As most are not paying, just remember to go in 23 hours prior and you should be fine.

If can not get seats you like or not together, book no seats and do not check in. Go to airport and check in 3 hours prior to flight and they have seat inventory that is released for operational use at airport only. While intended for passengers needing assistance, they would normally be able to give you seats there.

Another solution that usually works is to get two aisle seats across from each other. Might end up further back in aircraft, but is a solution.

I was 'happy' to at least see they are only charging on flights in Canada and between Canada and the USA. Intercontinental flights allow seats to be booked still without charge it seems.

Yes, these charges are starting to show up everywhere. Lufthansa groups, Lufthansa, Swiss and Brussels Airlines are charging for all flights in economy and I assume Austrian as well. They just started charging July 1st.

And British Airways, Virgin Atlantic & KLM and more charge to select seats in advance of online checkin opening.

Edited by peteukmcr

Don't forget, on Air Canada you pay for all checked bags even if you only have one of them. it's $25 per 50-pound checked bag (when crossing the border). No free lunch on AC!!

In Western Canada for a number of reasons many people prefer West Jet. Also, good to compare.

I am surprised that travellers are shocked that there are advance seat selection fees for the Airlines these days.

Most of the airlines are getting into the game and charging extra for the extra services, bags, carry on pieces, seat selection, etc. Those that do not are getting to be the rarity now.

In Air Canada's case, Tango fares have had seat selection charges for a couple of years. If you want the competition, WestJet, guess what, there is an extra fee for advance seat selection... Porter, again a charge for seats.

I take it into consideration when flying, if the flight is longer than 2 1/2 hours then I always get advance seat selection, shorter, I can sit by myself for the trip, As one poster suggests.. do I feel lucky. But, I am on-line as soon as the previous day's flight departs, and am booking my seat selections.

If you purchased from Choice Air, you got a Tango Fare and you have to pay extra for the seat selection in advance.

I think the mods should delete this thread. And NOW!

What if some cruise line bean counter sees this, and gets the bright idea of charging us extra to pick our cabins? :eek::cool:

Some cruiselines already do!! Thomson cruises in the UK charge to choose your cabin

Yes. It took 20 years for this practice to take hold widely in the airline industry.

The practice of payment for special seating first appeared in 1994 with the Scandinavian Leisure Groups, Premiair charter airline. This was acquired by Airtours in late 1994 and is now part of Thomas Cook Airlines.

Thomson was their main competitor, I guess. So, if history repeats itself in the cruise industry will yet to be seen

I wouldn't really call FLL a mini-hub for United. The only cities they serve from FLL are their hubs (IAH, ORD, EWR, SFO, CLE...maybe DEN?). A mini-hub would have service to secondary cities rather than just their main hubs. But they do have a decent operation at FLL.

After looking at their route map I stand corrected. But I am pretty sure they had most of their island flights going form there a few years back. I went diving in the Bahamas a few years ago and had to fly from IAH to FLL and catch a baby plane to what ever island it was. (it has been a few years so I don't remember which one it was). I guess after the UA/CO merger they either scrapped the little island flights or moved them to EWR or IAH as I have not had a need to back lately and didn't notice they were missing from FLL,

We had a bad experience booking Air Canada through Cheap-0. We booked almost a year in advance and were unable to book seats since it was through a third party. Upon arriving for our flight, 3 of our six people were assigned seats. The other three were to be assigned at the gate. Well, only 2 of them got on and the other one ended up shuffled all over the place. Just because you pay in full for a flight, it doesn't guarantee you'll get on it. They claim they overbook as a matter of course and in my mind, I think because we were the ones that booked through Cheap0 we were the ones SOL. Certainly since we booked almost 11 months ahead, we were not the last ones to purchase our tickets.

However, checking in early does guarantee it.

Airlines in Canada are required to bump the last people to checkin; not people without seat assignments; not people with status. They've been fined a few times over this very issue.

We were attempting to get our seat assignments on the Air Canada website when we discovered we had to pay $62 to select our seats.

I was just a bit dumbfounded, surprised, and ultimately annoyed at this fee. Just curious, has anyone encountered this? Note: I was selecting "standard" seats and not preferred seats. We have flown numerous times and have never had to pay for seat assignments.

I recently encountered fees for seat assignments on Jet Blue (couldn't get out of Anc, stand by). Being nonrev, I sit where ever there is a seat, so have never cared anything about any seat assignments. I simply just left the "page" for the fee and assignment, during booking the cheap seats. At the gate, I was called up and given an exit row, 2 seats together. and actually had exit rows on my later nonrev flights, since they can be left open.

I have seen people who "have" to sit together, so the fee may be a worthwhile expense for them.

Edited by Budget Queen

However, checking in early does guarantee it.

Airlines in Canada are required to bump the last people to checkin; not people without seat assignments; not people with status. They've been fined a few times over this very issue.

Wow, I wished I'd known that. We were, in fact, at the front of the line to check-in after our cruise. We had been at the airport several hours before our flight and were lined up before they opened the check-in. They would not give three of our party seat numbers while the other three of us did get seat assignments. When asked why - they just said we'd get them at the gate. All the people behind us had not checked in either, because there was a separate line for those who had completed the on-line check-in. They sure would not tell us what was going on or why we couldn't get seats.

I'm hoping someone with experience on Air Canada 77W Business Class can help me. We're looking at Beijing to Vancouver on Flight 30 July 6, 2015. Business Class on that flight is set up in "pods" in a herringbone fashion. We're traveling as a couple and know the middle seats won't work as they have a divider. Would love to see other's experiences and/or suggestions as to good seat choice.

I'm hoping someone with experience on Air Canada 77W Business Class can help me. We're looking at Beijing to Vancouver on Flight 30 July 6, 2015. Business Class on that flight is set up in "pods" in a herringbone fashion. We're traveling as a couple and know the middle seats won't work as they have a divider and face away from each other. Would love to see other's experiences and/or suggestions as to good seat choice before we commit with Choice Air.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

Though I have not been on the AC version, these are quite similar to the DL 777 pods, which I am familiar with. The hard truth is that these seats are made for single business travelers, not couples. Aside from the divider (which is actually small, IMO), the center seats are angled away from each other, so you have to twist backwards to face the other person. Made that way to increase privacy - though Zach would be the expert on that.

Here are some photos links for you to see what the cabin is like.

PHOTO1, PHOTO2, PHOTO3, PHOTO4

Photo1 shows what it would be like if you were opposite the aisle and how much you are angled. Photo2 shows some general layout. Photo3 is really important, because you can see the difference with the adjustable part of the divider up or down. You can spot how the barrier is down in the left-most seat, while the one to the right has it up. Photo4 lets you see how the center seats are at about a 90 degree angle to each other.

Personally, I would either have two seats across the aisle or one behind the other on the outside.

And for others who have cabin curiousities, the photo collection at Airliners.net is a great resource to actually see what they look like. Use the search tool on the right hand side and search for cabin views.

Though I have not been on the AC version, these are quite similar to the DL 777 pods, which I am familiar with. The hard truth is that these seats are made for single business travelers, not couples. Aside from the divider (which is actually small, IMO), the center seats are angled away from each other, so you have to twist backwards to face the other person. Made that way to increase privacy - though Zach would be the expert on that.

Here are some photos links for you to see what the cabin is like.

PHOTO1, PHOTO2, PHOTO3, PHOTO4

Photo1 shows what it would be like if you were opposite the aisle and how much you are angled. Photo2 shows some general layout. Photo3 is really important, because you can see the difference with the adjustable part of the divider up or down. You can spot how the barrier is down in the left-most seat, while the one to the right has it up. Photo4 lets you see how the center seats are at about a 90 degree angle to each other.

Personally, I would either have two seats across the aisle or one behind the other on the outside.

And for others who have cabin curiousities, the photo collection at Airliners.net is a great resource to actually see what they look like. Use the search tool on the right hand side and search for cabin views.

Thank you....I knew I could get information from other Cruise Critic members.

I'm hoping someone with experience on Air Canada 77W Business Class can help me. We're looking at Beijing to Vancouver on Flight 30 July 6, 2015. Business Class on that flight is set up in "pods" in a herringbone fashion. We're traveling as a couple and know the middle seats won't work as they have a divider and face away from each other. Would love to see other's experiences and/or suggestions as to good seat choice before we commit with Choice Air.

They are very nice. July 6 2015 is quite far out so things can change. The photos you have are older 77W (I have been on those pods several time and love them). Most of their 777 aircraft are of this configuration. Given how far out in time it is there is always the chance they may swap out the aircraft with something else. Good news is the other two options are equally as good, they all have about the same width and convert into flat beds.

The 77H (same aircraft but higher density) has a different design that does have a layout that is suitable for couples traveling together. I never been on one of these. There are slightly newer. Economy is not as nice on this configuration but Business Class is about the same.

I believe Air Canada plans to convert all the 777 to the 787 design at some point. Which is slightly updated but very similar. I don't think they have started that yet.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/onboard/comfort_intexec.html

For the classic Pod design (the one you are current on) traveling with a companion I have had seats one behind the other. For example 3A and 4A. There are very private seats. The middle of the cabin by the set set of doors there is a bar area counter area that for a long flight such as the one you are on they setup with snacks and drinks. There is a place to stretch your legs. In flight service is very good. There will likely be at least one Asian and several western 4 course meals.

Edited by em-sk

The 77H (same aircraft but higher density) has a different design that does have a layout that is suitable for couples traveling together. I never been on one of these. There are slightly newer. Economy is not as nice on this configuration but Business Class is about the same.

Except for one particular seat in BC, the cabin is said to be dreadful. Even worse in the back. Even the FAs don't like working on it.

How can one identify the high density 777s from the standard (older) ones? They are not identified as 77H on line (either on their own site, or on seat guru).

If you try to book a flight on the Air Canada web site it shows up in both the aircraft code and the seat map that is available for the flight.

I have only been in business class or economy on the standard 777, A330 and 767. I have not been in business class on the high density 777. So I don't have any first hand experience with the high density aircraft. The layout does look better for couples travelling together. The "classic pod" looks better for passengers traveling on their own.

In business class on the 777H the seats people complain about are the ones that come in pairs (which would likely be preferred by the OP who are traveling as a couple).

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_Canada/Air_Canada_Boeing_777-300ER_77W_new.php

In economy the 77H is 10 seats across (instead of 9 as the other 777). Have to keep in mid that most of the new 777 going into other airlines are also 10 across. Obviously 9 across provides more room that 10 and makes for a nicer trip.

I don't work for the airlines, so I don't know how accurate the "story" behind the 77H is but the way its has been told to me is Air Canada's 787 were delayed and Boeing had to provide compensation. These were new aircraft intended for a different airline that backed out and as compensation Air Canada was sold these at deeply discounted prices. They had to take the seat layout originally planned.

Edited by em-sk

I don't work for the airlines, so I don't know how accurate the "story" behind the 77H is but the way its has been told to me is Air Canada's 787 were delayed and Boeing had to provide compensation. These were new aircraft intended for a different airline that backed out and as compensation Air Canada was sold these at deeply discounted prices. They had to take the seat layout originally planned.

While it may be true, the problem with this story is that seating and interior are not included in the price of the aircraft and are spec'd out and furnished by the airlines. It's also easier for an a/c to be (re)configured for lower density over higher density.

As for airlines backing out, the usual is to put down 1/3 on order, 1/3 when the a/c is being assembled (or even earlier) and final 3rd on delivery. Anyone backing out after assembly starts is walking away frm a huge deposit.

I do think this high-density strategy is AC's way to compete on low-yield routes.

See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1528930-comments-777hd-hkg-yvr-epic-fail.html

I see the 77W come in two versions, and which version you have won't be known until I'm booking......got it now. I didn't realize there were two versions when I first looked at them.

I do think this high-density strategy is AC's way to compete on low-yield routes.

I used to be a huge AC fan, but its status in my eyes has dropped dramatically in the last year. Well, so have almost all the other North American airlines, which I guess still leaves AC on the top (IMO) of a very shallow hill. The Rouge offerings were the first failing, especially since they offered far less without actually even decreasing the ticket prices, so you were paying full AC prices for a Rouge seat. Now this, which I'm sure will continue to spread throughout the fleet as time goes on. I'd say I'd start flying only Business Class, except I see that even the Business seats are compromised.

I see the 77W come in two versions, and which version you have won't be known until I'm booking......got it now. I didn't realize there were two versions when I first looked at them.

I used to be a huge AC fan, but its status in my eyes has dropped dramatically in the last year. Well, so have almost all the other North American airlines, which I guess still leaves AC on the top (IMO) of a very shallow hill. The Rouge offerings were the first failing, especially since they offered far less without actually even decreasing the ticket prices, so you were paying full AC prices for a Rouge seat. Now this, which I'm sure will continue to spread throughout the fleet as time goes on. I'd say I'd start flying only Business Class, except I see that even the Business seats are compromised.

I am in a similar position. I like AC and Alaska over the other North American airlines. But honestly they are all getting worse in economy.

I have been in Business Class on Canadian Airlines (when they were around) and Air Canada before the pods. Even the "compromised business" of today looks better that what you use to get. It still reclines into a flat bad.

The Rogue aircraft are used on flights where Air Canada has never been able to sell business class. The seats in there are similar to the old fashion business class that existing in the 90s. The flights to China don't have the Rogue aircraft.