Dress Code - Pls just helpful responses

uilleann

I asked this question before but maybe not as well worded and got blasted by the formal dress code police and did not get many helpful answers.... so here goes again. Please no flaming... only helpful, non-inflammatory, non-bullying, polite answers.

We are taking QM 2, next year, from NYC to N Hampton. We are taking this ship because its the shortest cruise to England, it eases the time change issues (we can hit England ready to go instead of 2-3 days in a semi-coma), and it avoids Airline stress. We are not taking it for the "pomp and circumstance". There is no other cruise line from the US to England that can do it in 8 days.

I do not want to pack or wear any dress up clothes that, for me, are uncomfortable. So I will be dressed in nice jeans, a nice T shirt, suspenders (or braces), and a nice fleece vest. I might also pack a pair of nice kaki trousers and a long sleeved collared shirt.... but only one.

Given that.... where can I eat.

Breakfast?

Lunch?

Dinner?

Thanks.

"During the day

Casual shirts, shorts, trousers and beachwear are ideal. The main restaurants require a casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch, however you may wear shorts in either the Kings Court (Queen Mary 2) or Lido Restaurant (Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth).

...Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests." quoted from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code

Dressed casually, you can eat breakfast and lunch in whatever venue you choose. But dressed in jeans & t-shirt, your dinner venue would be limited to Kings Court on QM2.

Edited by Salacia

I asked this question before but maybe not as well worded and got blasted by the formal dress code police and did not get many helpful answers.... so here goes again. Please no flaming... only helpful, non-inflammatory, non-bullying, polite answers.

We are taking QM 2, next year, from NYC to N Hampton. We are taking this ship because its the shortest cruise to England, it eases the time change issues (we can hit England ready to go instead of 2-3 days in a semi-coma), and it avoids Airline stress. We are not taking it for the "pomp and circumstance". There is no other cruise line from the US to England that can do it in 8 days.

I do not want to pack or wear any dress up clothes that, for me, are uncomfortable. So I will be dressed in nice jeans, a nice T shirt, suspenders (or braces), and a nice fleece vest. I might also pack a pair of nice kaki trousers and a long sleeved collared shirt.... but only one.

Given that.... where can I eat.

Breakfast?

Lunch?

Dinner?

Thanks.

You say We are you male/female however my answer will be for male

Breakfast and Lunch you will be fine anywhere on the ship even in shorts as long as they are smart with belt. However, Diner you will have a problem eating in Britannia Restaurant without a jacket and collard shirt.. You will need a Jacket to go with your kaki trousers.

Diner for those wishing to dress casually can be obtained in a section of Kings Court. You may also feel awkward on board as most passengers adhere to the dress code, especially in the evening in the other bars.

You will also miss out on the Captains cocktail party and other 'invited to' functions.

If you our happy to wash your one collard shirt each night (washing powder is supplied without charge together with machines free to use) and to reduce the areas of the ship in which you will feel comfortable, then you will obviously survive the crossing.

Why not just a pack a tux or Dark suite the Jacket then could be used with trousers and also a pair of shoes to match and enjoy the whole experience..

Edited by Pennbank

Assuming you're in Britannia Grade...

... Given that.... where can I eat.

Breakfast?

1. Kings Court (buffet),

2. Room Service,

3. Britannia Restaurant.

Lunch?

1. Kings Court (buffet),

2. Room Service,

3. Britannia Restaurant,

4. Golden Lion Pub,

5. Todd English.

Dinner?

1. Kings Court (Buffet Section only),

2. Room Service.

(Note. Currently, after 6pm the only bar/lounge open to the casually dressed is the Winter Garden lounge/bar on Deck 7 (next to/forward from the Kings Court). All other restaurants, lounges, theatres, ball room, night club, bars, pub, and public rooms on board require passengers to be dressed according to that evening's dress code).

Edited by pepperrn

Let me share with you the experience of our very first formal night instead. This is what got us hooked on Cunard.

We did our first Voyage on QM2 in 2012 having never cruised before. My Wife took it very seriously and hired a beautiful Ball Gown for the Black & White Ball as we didn't know what to expect having only ever been to one formal ball in our lives previously.

She spent hours getting ready. I took a while also as I was determined to do my bow tie properly (took me several attempts and a pre-downloaded youtube video on my phone to do it)

We were on the late sitting, so once ready we went up to The Commodore Club for some pre-dinner drinks and were just in time to watch a stunning sunset. After this, we took the lift down to those narrow passageways where all photos of the celebrities going to dinner are, and then walking around Illuminations and Royal Court before arriving in The Grand Lobby.

That's where the comments started.

I stuck my elbow out and allowed her to take my arm, and could see that she'd broken into a huge smile.

"Ohh, look at that dress!"

"Doesn't she look beautiful"

Even I, started to behave a little like Leonardo DiCaprio did in.....Erm..... That James Cameron film about an ocean liner from 1997. Where he's initially slouching but then straightens his posture and stands up straight in response to his surroundings. As we made our way down the Grand Staircase and on to Britannia.

That for us, is Cunard. And for me, to miss out on the formality is to miss out on a key part of what makes Cunard special.

Edited by JollyJackTar52

uilleann, pepper's post #4 above is the last word on this subject if you have a Britannia cabin. If you have a BC cabin, change every "Britannia Restaurant" answer to "Britannia Club". If you have a PG or QG cabin replace "Britannia Restaurant" with "your Grills Restaurant" and add the Concierge Lounge as a lunch option (sandwiches only). Bon Voyage and bon appétit and don't expect more choices if you ask again.

Thats exactly what I was looking for thanks for the great answers. BTW. People who like to "dress up" and others who don't are like liberals and conservatives they will almost never understand why the other side does not understand their side. I say viva la difference,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A little more about having dinner at King's Court. I don't dress up either, and had dinner there every night. I wore casual dress - usually jeans, a roll-neck sweater, and oxford shoes - which was acceptable. It was quiet up there, but not at all deserted; it was totally different from the madhouse at breakfast and lunch. You'll have the company of others, but not too much company. You can also look forward to good food (sometimes very good food), and cheerful staffers. Please don't stress any more about this; I hope you have a wonderful time.

Uilleann--

I have nothing to add to what others have said, and think you should be fine eating and moving about dressed as you describe in the evening in the limited number of places mentioned. However, I have a question. You mention that you are going to England, and it's not clear if you are going there on holiday or live there and are going back. If on holiday, are the clothes you describe wearing onboard the QM the same ones you plan on wearing throughout England? Are you going to be in London? Going to theater? Churches? It sounds like a pretty limited wardrobe to me, but every one is different in the degree they do or do not prefer to try to accommodate to their environment in terms of dress. It may be a gender thing, to some extent, since I'm female and don't want to stand out as being too formal or informal for the setting I'm in. (In general I'm a totally undressy-type person, except on the QM 2.) In addition, I do think concepts of clothing appropriateness are generational, and what looks and feels good to someone in the younger generation (e.g., jeans and t-shirts in the city) may look less appropriate for a 70 year old in that same setting. Now that I've managed to be both sexist and "age-ist" in the same posting, I'd best shut up. :D

Uilleann--

I have nothing to add to what others have said, and think you should be fine eating and moving about dressed as you describe in the evening in the limited number of places mentioned. However, I have a question. You mention that you are going to England, and it's not clear if you are going there on holiday or live there and are going back. If on holiday, are the clothes you describe wearing onboard the QM the same ones you plan on wearing throughout England? Are you going to be in London? Going to theater? Churches? It sounds like a pretty limited wardrobe to me, but every one is different in the degree they do or do not prefer to try to accommodate to their environment in terms of dress. It may be a gender thing, to some extent, since I'm female and don't want to stand out as being too formal or informal for the setting I'm in. (In general I'm a totally undressy-type person, except on the QM 2.) In addition, I do think concepts of clothing appropriateness are generational, and what looks and feels good to someone in the younger generation (e.g., jeans and t-shirts in the city) may look less appropriate for a 70 year old in that same setting. Now that I've managed to be both sexist and "age-ist" in the same posting, I'd best shut up. :D

On vacation, a 60+ year old guy. I have been to London several times. Always dressed the same.... Well the suspenders are new. We ted to go to less expensive but high rated restaurants. We see shows, go to museums, do tours, and lots of walking around. In many places we look different but I have never seen anybody staring or pointing at us. And of they did it would not bother me. We stay at B&B's and do Home exchanges and avoid hotels, high tourist areas, expensive shopping areas. That is where you will see suits and nice dresses. Jeans are an "American" look especially when combined with white sneakers. You can see American's a mile away..... But I don't care and I certainly don't expect foreign visitors to the US to dress differently to blend in. BTW never wore a dress jack anywhere in England. Same in Spain, Germany, France, Italy, Ireland, Scotland.

After a few days in London we are off to Ireland. Will probably do a B&B and a home exchange. A few days in Donegal for a Uilleann Pipe making workshop where I will be covered in wood dust for a few days and then a week or so near Carrickmacross for some Family history research.

I really think that there are two worlds of tourism. One where people go to nice hotels, expensive restaurants, famed shopping streets, have their hair done, wear their nicest clothes. The others stay on hostels or B&B's, home exchanges, airbnb, couch surfing. Maybe a day without a shower and maybe several days with the same clothes. They go to inexpensive restaurants or make their own meals, Shopping is at flea or farmers markets. No suites No fancy dresses. Luggage may be or include a back pack. Lots of public transportation. This second group might be younger but I have seen people in their 70's doing this.

I think both worlds are just fine. They don't have to approve of what the other group is doing. They don't even have to socialize with them. Although people everywhere are interesting no matter how they are packaged.... i have found.

I think you are right. In the last years you see every type of dress every where. Some actually unacceptable...but no one bats an eye, so I don't see how dressing more casually would affect your trip in any way.

If you follow the general guidelines on the ship...you will be more than fine there as well. Enjoy your trip.

Great post Uillean. Sounds like a lovely trip. I do think your dichotomy of traveler types is more of a continuum, and may even be a continuum within one person. My husband and I are a bit older than you are, but we, like you, prefer the smaller B&B-type places; non-upscale restaurants (but appreciate good food for good value); don't frequent high price shopping areas; love markets; etc. We are low-key dressers in general, though my husband refuses t-shirts and jeans and wears collared-shirts and khakis or corduroy instead. But we also like going to concerts, theater, and the occasional fancy restaurant, and we dress differently for such venues; much to our surprise, we enjoyed the formal dress occasions on the Queen Mary. As old codgers we sometimes moan a bit the "cult of informality" that seems to hold sway in many places--certainly in the state of Maine where we live--wherein people wear the same informal garb no matter what the event or environment. Baseball caps indoors! t-shirts with logos and writing! flip-flops! :D

Edited by maina

Great post Uillean. Sounds like a lovely trip. I do think your dichotomy of traveler types is more of a continuum, and may even be a continuum within one person. My husband and I are a bit older than you are, but we, like you, prefer the smaller B&B-type places; non-upscale restaurants (but appreciate good food for good value); don't frequent high price shopping areas; love markets; etc. We are low-key dressers in general, though my husband refuses t-shirts and jeans and wears collared-shirts and khakis or corduroy instead. But we also like going to concerts, theater, and the occasional fancy restaurant, and we dress differently for such venues; much to our surprise, we enjoyed the formal dress occasions on the Queen Mary. As old codgers we sometimes moan a bit the "cult of informality" that seems to hold sway in many places--certainly in the state of Maine where we live--wherein people wear the same informal garb no matter what the event or environment. Baseball caps indoors! t-shirts with logos and writing! flip-flops! :D

I agree with the continuum comment. But I just don't have the gene that makes me want to dress or judge others on their dress. Up here in Portland OR we have a annual naked bike ride. This year we had 16,000 naked or nearly naked bike riders. While it did catch my eye and I was somewhat fascinated. I did not think the less of them. And I am a "judger" for sure. Just not on clothing.

My husband and I are considering an Eastbound crossing, so I was happy to find Uilleann's question and the subsequent responses.

Here's what we are thinking of: After debarking the QM2, we would like to fly up to Ireland and rent a cottage for a week, and just drive around and explore the countryside. Therefore, the only time we would need formal dress would be aboard the ship, and formal clothes would certainly add weight/extra luggage, which we would rather not bother with. Please don't misunderstand--the formality itself would not be an issue if it weren't for the "extra baggage" so to speak. We would not even think about not being presentable as far as clothing for the buffet, etc., but we would have to be dressed more casually than the majority of the passengers in the evening. We fully understand that most areas of the ship would be off-limits to us, but that's the price we would have to pay in order to not have to pack formal clothing.

Some might question---"why not just fly to Ireland?"---but the jet lag would be very problematic for me, to the point of possibly becoming ill as I need my sleep.:p And, the "crossing" has long been on my bucket list, albeit without the formal clothing.

So, thank you, ullieann, for bringing this subject up, and thanks for posters' clarifications. I'm happy to know that we will be able to be "out and about" for meals in the evening, even though we're limited in dining choices.

(As a side note: has anyone flown the low-cost airline that flies from Southampton to Dublin? The name escapes me at the moment, but I remember airfare being reasonable. Thanks for any help!)

My husband and I are considering an Eastbound crossing, so I was happy to find Uilleann's question and the subsequent responses.

Here's what we are thinking of: After debarking the QM2, we would like to fly up to Ireland and rent a cottage for a week, and just drive around and explore the countryside. Therefore, the only time we would need formal dress would be aboard the ship, and formal clothes would certainly add weight/extra luggage, which we would rather not bother with. Please don't misunderstand--the formality itself would not be an issue if it weren't for the "extra baggage" so to speak. We would not even think about not being presentable as far as clothing for the buffet, etc., but we would have to be dressed more casually than the majority of the passengers in the evening. We fully understand that most areas of the ship would be off-limits to us, but that's the price we would have to pay in order to not have to pack formal clothing.

Some might question---"why not just fly to Ireland?"---but the jet lag would be very problematic for me, to the point of possibly becoming ill as I need my sleep.:p And, the "crossing" has long been on my bucket list, albeit without the formal clothing.

So, thank you, ullieann, for bringing this subject up, and thanks for posters' clarifications. I'm happy to know that we will be able to be "out and about" for meals in the evening, even though we're limited in dining choices.

(As a side note: has anyone flown the low-cost airline that flies from Southampton to Dublin? The name escapes me at the moment, but I remember airfare being reasonable. Thanks for any help!)

Hi sheltieluv the air line you are thinking of is Ryan air. Is your screen name any thing to do with sheltie dogs, if so they are my favourite breed.

Catherine

My apologies, folks.....the last paragraph in my post will be construed as "highjacking" the OP's original post.....I should have started a separate thread. Sorry! I didn't think before I asked....:(

The OP has his comfort answers so it doesn't matter. You will be and feel more than comfortable in Kings Court for dinner. I've skipped dinner and dressing for the dining room many times on longer trips and couldn't have been more content. :)

Re: formal clothing when doing onward travel. We used Cunard's service to ship one suitcase, with all our formal/dressy clothing, back to the U.S. when we disembarked in Southampton. I think they were using DSL for shipping at that time. It was an easy process to do the necessary transaction on board (no need to do ahead of time); we dropped bag in designated spot in the Southampton terminal, and that was that. On we went for another 2.5 weeks in Europe with just our two carry-ons. We had the big bag sent to our daughter and picked it up when we returned. Cost depends on weight; our steward got a luggage scale for us so we could make sure we were staying under the weight for which we were willing to pay. We even ended up throwing in a few more items we decided we wouldn't need, as we hadn't maxed out the weight with just the dressy clothing.

As I recall we thought the rates were a bit pricey, but well worthwhile to be able to travel with just the carry-ons as we climbed stairs and hopped on and off trains, buses, metro, etc.

north east girl--Yes, we have a Sheltie---he's getting to be quite an old boy, 12 and 1/2, and he's our pride and joy. He's given us many laughs through the years. Thanks for the name of the airline!

briggitetom--we don't mind buffets, (in fact, my husband really enjoys them) so I'm glad to know we'll be comfortable there. Thank you!

If the luggage is your only issue with participating in formal nights, there are some options to consider.

If you're crossing both ways, investigate storing a suitcase (or sturdy garment bag) with your formal clothes while you're off the ship. A long time ago, Cunard would store it on the ship for you. That's gone, but I think they have some sort of shoreside storage arrangements. If you're flying home, from Ireland, then you might investigate shipping the formal clothes home from Southampton, using Cunard's service. With these options, you wouldn't be burdened with extra luggage, but you would get to enjoy the full experience of formal nights at sea.

We've used the "white star" shipping service several times to send our formal wear to the ship whe we're sailing home from a trip to the UK. We think not having to drag around that extra piece of luggage is, as the commercials say, "priceless."

Hi maina and 3rdGen

I hadn't even thought of shipping a suitcase, so thank you for your suggestions. We could probably do Ireland with our carry-on's, so shipping the other bag would be a good option. I will have to look into the pricing. Thanks again!

If the luggage is your only issue with participating in formal nights, there are some options to consider.

If you're crossing both ways, investigate storing a suitcase (or sturdy garment bag) with your formal clothes while you're off the ship. A long time ago, Cunard would store it on the ship for you. That's gone, but I think they have some sort of shoreside storage arrangements. If you're flying home, from Ireland, then you might investigate shipping the formal clothes home from Southampton, using Cunard's service. With these options, you wouldn't be burdened with extra luggage, but you would get to enjoy the full experience of formal nights at sea.

We used the Cunard luggage storage in Southampton between our East and West crossings in May and June. They give you a special luggage tag to put on your luggage and you put it out (with all your other luggage) the evening prior to disembarking in Southampton.

We began our return crossing from Hamburg, and our "formal" luggage was delivered to our stateroom when the ship reached Southampton. We plan to do the same on our next voyage to Europe. It is a great option if you are taking the ship both ways. I believe the charge was $65 per bag for up to 30 days.

Bob

Edited by BobBranst

We had not considered returning home (Westbound) on the QM2. I'll have to do some cost comparisons as we're thinking about flying home from Dublin; so if we cruise back to the states I'll have to see what works best, $-wise and schedule-wise. Thanks for the suggestion!

We went Westbound in May and Eastbound in July.

We had planned to leave our formal/cold weather clothing in NY in a luggage storage facility at some considerable cost.

Fortunately we got chatting to some World cruisers during our outbound trip and they suggested using Cunard's luggage storage arrangement.

We left our bag in Brooklyn as we left for our epic trip and found it already in our cabin when we embarked on our return voyage. As mentioned above the cost per bag was $65 for up to 30 days. It cost us about $115 for our storage and was a bargain (in our eyes anyway).

I can really recommend travelling both ways if you can. No jet lag and something to look forward to at the end of your vacation.

Edited by CABINET