How do you keep your camera safe on excursions?

Someone suggested I post this here.

I'm not sure if I'll bring my DSLR or point and shoot, but either way I'm wondering how to keep them "safe" if I want to duck in the water in a beach excursion.

Only other cruises were DCL with stop at private island and Nassau. Both of those with enough family to always have someone watching things.

BFF and I are doing five night to Ocho Rios & Grand Cayman and are hoping two beach days.

Anyone use KYSS bags or something similar?

The KYSS bag looks great at a good price.

I have never seen one, but use various bags from Packsafe. We find they are of high quality and make us feel secure when visiting "heavens" for pickpockets. Our bags can be attached to chairs using the slash proof strap.

I usually have both a DLSR and P&S on a cruise. Often the DLSR does not go to the beach. When it does it stays in a plastic bag within something else to keep any sand/salt water out. Also, when the DLSR is there, someone tends to sit with our stuff on the beach.

It was just my wife and I on our cruise this past spring and I worried about the same thing. IF I brought the DSLR, either my wife was right there next to it (she's more beach than water) or we were both close enough to watch it while in the water together.

I just purchased an overboard roll-top bag for protecting the camera stuff. It gets good reviews - including a video test on Youtube where a guy throws the camera into the bag and then drops it into the bathtub.

Here's the product info:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009LEQ3MU/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

There is a smaller version of the bag available at Amazon as well.

My plan is to use this bag even when I'm wading (like on the Stingray City excursion) so I'm counting on it to protect the gear even when I'm chest-deep in water

I just purchased an overboard roll-top bag for protecting the camera stuff. It gets good reviews - including a video test on Youtube where a guy throws the camera into the bag and then drops it into the bathtub.

Here's the product info:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009LEQ3MU/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

There is a smaller version of the bag available at Amazon as well.

My plan is to use this bag even when I'm wading (like on the Stingray City excursion) so I'm counting on it to protect the gear even when I'm chest-deep in water

Wow. That's a cool bag! Ok. I have a few things to look into. Thanks for the reply. :)

It was just my wife and I on our cruise this past spring and I worried about the same thing. IF I brought the DSLR, either my wife was right there next to it (she's more beach than water) or we were both close enough to watch it while in the water together.

This is good ole plan B!

Thanks for weighing in.

I can't remember how to multiquote.

Edited by Vacationdreamer<><

Best advice I can give is expect to lose what you leave unattended. I'm not saying that it will happen. It's just a measurement of how valuable an item may be to you.

That being said I can recommend the Pacsafe products. The portable safe 5l http://www.pacsafe.com/travel-accessories-wallets.html?cat=87 is a better step to locking up items. A potential thief will choose a camera out in the open and easy rather than the Pacsafe. Just don't make the mistake of locking it to the beach lounger. Pick something more solid and anchored rather than the beach chair which can be easily picked up and moved.

Best advice I can give is expect to lose what you leave unattended. I'm not saying that it will happen. It's just a measurement of how valuable an item may be to you.

^ This.

I'm fortunate that my wife doesn't like going in the water at the beach, so someone is always present. I also do things like loop my bag's strap around something large and/or difficult to move (lounge chair, umbrella, table). I have a few carabiners I can use to anchor it. These steps only deter theft. With over $10K of gear in my bag, I never leave it out of sight or reach.

Beach, amusement park etc. I have yet to get a camera stolen. Tuck them in non discript bags and not leave unattended in isolated area and likely you'll be fine. I carry insurance and back up photos daily so if the worse was to happen the impact is minimum.

Beach, amusement park etc. I have yet to get a camera stolen. Tuck them in non discript bags and not leave unattended in isolated area and likely you'll be fine. I carry insurance and back up photos daily so if the worse was to happen the impact is minimum.

Do you have trip insurance or some kind of specific coverage for your gear, or is it covered under some other policy?

If it were available I'd get insurance for our upcoming trip because I'm using my brother's equipment . . .

Pacsafe, also. Plus, you can use it in hotel rooms when you don't feel you want to shlep all your camera equipment with you when you go out for dinner. Just loop the metal cable around the plumbing in the bathroom and go…the one we have will hold my laptop, lenses, DSLR, and jewelry. Nice backpack overall.

On the beach, you can attach it to a pole, multiple chairs (more difficult to run off with than one), etc.

I don't understand how the PacSafes work. I was looking at this one:

http://www.pacsafe.com/metrosafe-100-gii-hip-shoulder-bag-8.html

but how does it lock someone out? Don't they just have to know how to twist/turn the latches and they can take off with it anyway?

Will someone help me understand?

http://www.pacsafe.com/travelsafe-12l-portable-safe-1.html

is this more of what you folks here use?

My dad had a bright yellow Pelican case for his gear and discouraged theft by labeling the case with "Texas Blood Products, Inc." :D

Along the same lines, I have a friend who carries his valuables whatever they are in a diaper bag with some baby stuff and a clean soiled diaper on top of the bag. So far nothing has ever been stolen.

Might not work on the beach where you will be missing the baby (LOL).

DON

We are visiting Barcelona on our upcoming cruise which is well known for pick pockets. We are booked on a private organised trip. Do you think or does anyone have experience of carrying their camera around their neck in such places?

I have visions of it being snatched from my neck.

We are also doing a Segway tour in Malaga and I was thinking the same thing, rather than keep getting my camera in and out of its bag I would like to have it around my neck.

I have a Canon DSLR (my very first :-) ) and just have the Canon strap around it.

Any suggestions would be greatly received.

Thanks

Edited by rwright261

We are visiting Barcelona on our upcoming cruise which is well known for pick pockets. We are booked on a private organised trip. Do you think or does anyone have experience of carrying their camera around their neck in such places?

I have visions of it being snatched from my neck.

We are also doing a Segway tour in Malaga and I was thinking the same thing, rather than keep getting my camera in and out of its bag I would like to have it around my neck.

I have a Canon DSLR (my very first :-) ) and just have the Canon strap around it.

Any suggestions would be greatly received.

Thanks

I did not have a problem with my Canon DLSR in Barcelona. I did purchase a slashproof strap from Pacsafe and wore a slashproof bag cross body. Also, I never put the camera down, even in a restaurant it was in the bag around my neck. I took hundreds of pictures all over Barcelona so I was not afraid to take it out of the bag (and keep it around my neck).

I've had a camera stolen in South America (Canon 5D Mark III with an expensive lens). It was in my backpack. Under my chair in a restaurant. I had my back to the wall even and my foot through the backpack strap. All it takes is a distraction and someone who is good at stealing. They didn't get my wallet (in a different zipper pocket).

-Holly

who also couldn't claim insurance as they wanted a police report and it was obvious it was going to take more than the two hours we had left on shore...

I usually have both a DLSR and P&S on a cruise. Often the DLSR does not go to the beach. When it does it stays in a plastic bag within something else to keep any sand/salt water out. Also, when the DLSR is there, someone tends to sit with our stuff on the beach.

YES! I leave my DSLR on the ship or in the hotel safe. We typically don't leave anything valuable on the beach unattended, both because of theft concerns and also because I had a discman destroyed as a teenager when the tide came in and learned a valuable lesson about leaving valuables!

We've also invested in a shockproof/waterproof point and shoot so we can take it in the water with us. While the pictures aren't nearly as good as the ones I take with a regular p&s or DSLR, they're good enough for me. :)