Getaway 10-4-14 BX room reservation question????

goblue1981

So me and Dw are booked on the Getaway sailing on October 4. We booked a BX balcony room ( guaranteed room but no assignment yet) we did this two years ago on the NCL SKY and ended up in a normal balcony, which was fine with us. Looking at the deck plans it looks like there's only a few designated BX rooms available on deck eight, so my question is, has anyone booked this? How are the rooms? Did you get an upgrade? Etc... Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So me and Dw are booked on the Getaway sailing on October 4. We booked a BX balcony room ( guaranteed room but no assignment yet) we did this two years ago on the NCL SKY and ended up in a normal balcony, which was fine with us. Looking at the deck plans it looks like there's only a few designated BX rooms available on deck eight, so my question is, has anyone booked this? How are the rooms? Did you get an upgrade? Etc... Thanks!

If you are booking a balcony guarantee how can you see designated rooms on the deck plan? By definition, a guarantee booking could be any room that is in the category you book or higher. In other words there aren't a set few rooms to assign to you. You could be assigned any cabin on the ship that is at least a balcony cabin. It'll just depend on what's available within a few days of sailing. You may not even know which cabin until you get to the pier. Could be an obstructed view balcony or could be something much nicer. That's the risk with a guarantee booking.

Edited by justhere

If you are booking a balcony guarantee how can you see designated rooms on the deck plan?

Because some ships actually have something-X category cabins, very few but still. This the same on Dawn class and Jewel class ships as there are at least few OX cabins (obstructed oceanviews on deck 8).

When first few people have booked the actual cabins in that subcategory, it will only accept GTY bookings as there are no more actual cabins to choose from in that subcategory.

We also booked a guarantee on Getaway for Sept. 27th and have yet to be assigned a cabin. I agree that you would not think there would be BX (guarantee) category cabins on the deck maps but the OP is correct. There are a few coded BX on deck 8. I thought it was odd. Not sure what that means.

I just got back from the Getaway that sailed on 8/2 - I'm not sure what a BX balcony is, but I was in room 8114 and it had an extended balcony. The rest of my family had a regular balcony on deck 11. 8114 is the last larger balcony on the front of the ship as it extends all the way out to the side. It has 2 chairs and 2 chaise lounge chairs and a table. I loved it...the only downfall was that everyone above can look down on you...but you can get a tan from your own balcony.

Since there are so few actual BX rooms, odds are your assigned balcony will be in a different (higher) category. which category balcony...who knows? Try to look at it as half the fun of booking a gty. The other half the fun is saving money by booking the gty. OK, I admit, if you got a really good price for the gty, the savings may be more that half the fun.

Thanks for the responses so far. I thought it was odd that they had actual BX cabins but figured there were so few it might increase my odds of getting bumped up. Looking at the deck plan it looks like the BX cabins are pretty nice so I will be more than ok not getting a bump, but here's hoping! Still no assignment as of this morning but as most people have said in other GTY threads, maybe that's a good thing!

When I booked my BX for my upcoming Getaway cruise directly with NCL, I was told there are no obstructed balconies because the lifeboats are on a lower deck.

I was also told that loyalty status with NCL factors in to which cabin you are ultimately assigned. From that I assume the higher up the loyalty food chain you are, the better the chance of an upgrade.

In reality, they probably toss us all into a hat and assign cabins randomly. ;)

But I'm good anywhere they put me. There's no such thing as a bad day on a cruise ship! :)

DD and I are literally in the same boat! Booked our BX Gty with no room assigned yet. I am good with waiting but hope we are assigned a room before we arrive at the port!

snow bunny

I'm still a little confused! I booked a balcony gty on the Breakaway today. Our reservation says BX GTY. I thought by booking a balcony GTY that we could get any type of balcony or possibly upgraded. When it says BX GTY does that mean that it will be a BX category or above? This will be our 27th cruise. We don't often do GTY but when we have it simply means any balcony or better. Possibly this is just how Norwegian lists all their balcony GTY's. Can anyone clarify this for me ?Thanks-Kade

I'm still a little confused! I booked a balcony gty on the Breakaway today. Our reservation says BX GTY. I thought by booking a balcony GTY that we could get any type of balcony or possibly upgraded. When it says BX GTY does that mean that it will be a BX category or above? This will be our 27th cruise. We don't often do GTY but when we have it simply means any balcony or better. Possibly this is just how Norwegian lists all their balcony GTY's. Can anyone clarify this for me ?Thanks-Kade

It means that you are guaranteed to get a room with at LEAST a balcony. That is the lowest category you can get. But you might get a better cabin.

We booked a gty inside on the getaway initially. Prices dropped enough after final payment we upgraded to a balcony gty. Then we got our room assigned about a month out. We got put in a connecting balcony...ick. That's the risk of getting a gty so whatever. Then Prices dropped again, and we decided to pay for an upgrade to a large balcony. When we got assigned our large balcony room, it was an angled small balcony which we did not want and apparently it was the only large balcony cabin yet, so we asked to be moved back into the balcony gty category. When we got assigned again, we got a better location balcony stateroom than we did the first time and and our balcony wasn't connecting. So all in all I think its just a form of safe gambling. One we will continue to do because of the savings

We booked a guaranteed balcony (BX) on the 8/16 sailing of the Getaway on 7/30. Just a couple days ago (a week before sailing) we were assigned a BD balcony on deck 9 aft.

If I had booked this cabin myself I might have opted for a higher deck but we always prefer the aft locations so all in all I'm pretty happy with the assignment. No big upgrade but still a nice balcony.

Thank you both for your responses and experiences. I'm happy to have a balcony and when we do gty I never expect more than what we paid for. If we get an upgrade,that's an extra bonus! I didn't know that BX was their lowest balcony category and I appreciate the clarification .

More cruises-We love aft cabins! Have a great trip!!

Aubreyc1988-I'm not familiar with a connecting balcony in Norwegian ships. What is it about them that you don't like?

Thank you both for your responses and experiences. I'm happy to have a balcony and when we do gty I never expect more than what we paid for. If we get an upgrade,that's an extra bonus! I didn't know that BX was their lowest balcony category and I appreciate the clarification .

More cruises-We love aft cabins! Have a great trip!!

Aubreyc1988-I'm not familiar with a connecting balcony in Norwegian ships. What is it about them that you don't like?

I havent been on NCL so this MAY not apply, but if you have noisy neighbors, i feel like you can hear them better than if your rooms werent connecting. Also sometimes they share a vent so if its a smoking cabin, it comes into your room. and most connecting rooms are all clumped together...and families are more likely to book a connecting cabin....and kids are just noisier...and if they are teenagers and are up late....it *can* be noisy. But like i said, its all whos next to you. It definitely is not the end of the world, but if we had the choice between connecting and non connecting, would def choose the non connecting room

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We booked a BX GTY room in March for Jan 2015 and shortly after (within a couple weeks I think) got assigned one of the actual BX rooms. I was hoping to get mid-ship so there would be less movement, but the balconies are supposed to be bigger so I'm okay with what we got. Maybe we were the first to book, so we got exactly what we paid for?