What makes disney superior over other lines out there?

Susiecruisey

I don't agree. Apples to oranges. Like comparing to Ritz Carlton to a Motel 6. It's just not a fair comparison.

Based on my experience DCL does things better than most other cruise lines in the same market-segment (I've sailed them all multiple times), therefore I would say DCL is superior in many ways. The downside is they cost more, sometimes substantially so. For many the additional cost is not worth the "Disney Difference" and that is fine. I don't sail on DCL for every cruise (I love variety), but I sure to enjoy them when I do.

But the OP hints that the cruise line should be responsible/remove all jellyfish from the ocean on their private island, be responsible for the actions of wildlife when small children are present and pay for any medical care afterwards.

No one on here will suggest a cruise line that meets the expectations of someone like that!

Nor would they wan't a customer like that.

ex techie

and everyone else is as quite as a mouse when someone is brave enough to stick their head above the parapet to point the obvious out, there is no back up, support, vote, as the Imagineer is GOD.

ex techie

Bottom line is that overall Disney has a certain reputation when it comes to quality and innovation and people ARE willing to pay for. This is not just with the ships but with the parks and resort hotels as well. Obviously they are doing something very right or they would simply not be able to fill ships or their parks. The market dictates what they can charge. The performance of the Disney Co. keeps getting better and better, and prices keep going up and up yet people are still willing to pay. Other companies only wish they could garner the yields that DCL does but lets face it, they don't have the Disney name or what backs it up.

I'm not saying DCL is perfect by any means, but I think they do what they do extremely well and I only wish other cruise lines with production line clone ships put in half the detail and innovation that Disney does. That kind of detail is expensive which is why you generally don't see it on other lines in the same market-segment.

No one on here will suggest a cruise line that meets the expectations of someone like that!

Nor would they wan't a customer like that.

ex techie

On that point I certainly agree wholeheartedly, but keep in mind it wasn't the OP that wrote those comments, but someone else within this thread.

Edited by eroller

On that point I certainly agree wholeheartedly, but keep in mind it wasn't the OP that wrote those comments, but someone else within this thread.

Sorry, I used the OP acronym, not meaning Original Poster, but Other Poster.

I should have been clearer.

ex techie

Bottom line is that overall Disney has a certain reputation when it comes to quality and innovation and people ARE willing to pay for. This is not just with the ships but with the parks and resort hotels as well. Obviously they are doing something very right or they would simply not be able to fill ships or their parks. The market dictates what they can charge. The performance of the Disney Co. keeps getting better and better, and prices keep going up and up yet people are still willing to pay. Other companies only wish they could garner the yields that DCL does but lets face it, they don't have the Disney name or what backs it up.

I'm not saying DCL is perfect by any means, but I think they do what they do extremely well and I only wish other cruise lines with production line clone ships put in half the detail and innovation that Disney does. That kind of detail is expensive which is why you generally don't see it on other lines in the same market-segment.

Personally, innovation wise, DCL is far behind the likes of RCI and Norwegian.

They do come with innovative ideas, the "magic mirroresque" porthole, the animated artwork, the Animator's Palete shows, being the first at sea to offer a firework show whilst at sea, first to have a water coaster at sea.

Even the theatrical work in the theatre.

But every other cruise line has cottoned on to it, and also some now offer fireworks at sea, characters (not disney), and some are offering floor to ceiling virtual balconies for inside Staterooms, an arm that extends 400 feet up and over the side of the ship, bumper cars, ice rinks, Flowrider, a venue with 270 degree vista's with monitor panels at night covering that view and additional ones for a performance moved by robots.

Or Waterworks on Carnvial?

Everyone else has stepped their game up to match, equal DCL and exceed it.

Mickey is a massive massive draw, but when your 8 and over.....

How much gravitas you put on him is obviously up to the individual, and what they receive from it.

Given that other main stream cruise lines also receive glowing reports of amazing service and attentiveness, and fun for the whole family, I personally think it would be foolish to discount other lines unless you have specific character based requirements, and especially if you have tween's, teen's or 18 and older members cruising with you.

Just saying'

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Personally, innovation wise, DCL is far behind the likes of RCI and Norwegian.

They do come with innovative ideas, the "magic mirroresque" porthole, the animated artwork, the Animator's Palete shows, being the first at sea to offer a firework show whilst at sea, first to have a water coaster at sea.

Even the theatrical work in the theatre.

But every other cruise line has cottoned on to it, and also some now offer fireworks at sea, characters (not disney), and some are offering floor to ceiling virtual balconies for inside Staterooms, an arm that extends 400 feet up and over the side of the ship, bumper cars, ice rinks, Flowrider, a venue with 270 degree vista's with monitor panels at night covering that view and additional ones for a performance moved by robots.

Or Waterworks on Carnvial?

Everyone else has stepped their game up to match, equal DCL and exceed it.

Mickey is a massive massive draw, but when your 8 and over.....

How much gravitas you put on him is obviously up to the individual, and what they receive from it.

Given that other main stream cruise lines also receive glowing reports of amazing service and attentiveness, and fun for the whole family, I personally think it would be foolish to discount other lines unless you have specific character based requirements, and especially if you have tween's, teen's or 18 and older members cruising with you.

Just saying'

ex techie

Overall DCL does a pretty good job keeping relevant and raising the bar. Other cruise lines have copied and even enhanced what Disney has offered or innovated, but often times it's just not executed as well. Beyond the innovation, there is just the quality of the Disney experience that doesn't exist within cruise lines of the same market segment. The cabins for instance. Beautifully finished and detailed. Bathrooms with real tile and logo towels and even a logo shower curtain. Nice individual bath products. Compare to Carnival where the cabin looks like it's straight from IKEA and the bathroom is just one big prefab unit all plastic with no bath products except bulk dispensers on the shower wall. Other little details like linen cocktail napkins in certain bars and unlimited towels by the pool rather than having to sign them out. Those are just a few examples but there are little details like that which exist all over the Disney product, and all those little details add up to something substantial. Now to someone that doesn't appreciate or notice those details, by all means cruise on Carnival or NCL at a much lower rate and you will be happy. I actually do cruise on Carnival and NCL along with all the others, so I appreciate what they have to offer as well but they fall short when it comes to attention to detail that is for sure. I have found after 100+ cruises that every line really excels at something, whether it be the cuisine on Oceania or innovation on Royal Caribbean, but none are perfect and that includes DCL. Overall though I find I'm very happy when I cruise on DCL and generally leave at the end of the cruise feeling it was worth every penny and promising myself I will cruise more on DCL. That is hard to do though because they have a small fleet and the itineraries are limited.

Regarding the bumper cars, North Star, 270 Lounge, etc those are all on QUANTUM OF THE SEAS. I'm sailing on her maiden voyage from Southampton to NY so I'll let you know how that goes. Next to Disney, Royal Caribbean is my favorite for innovation and attention to detail in the mass-market segment. Not quite to Disney standards but they have fantastic concepts and execute them pretty well. All those "gimmicks" if you will do create plenty of controversy even within many "loyal to Royal". Many feel the ships are becoming too much like amusements parks and it's cheapening the entire experience. Disney has done a great job for instance balancing new innovations while retaining that classic elegant look and feel from ocean liners of a bygone era. It's also nice that Disney ships actually look like ships, and not floating condo boxes. Aesthetics are still important to Disney, and long forgotten to most cruise lines because aesthetics cost $$$ and rounding corners eliminates adding more cabins. NORWEGIAN EPIC is a blaring example of what a ship looks like when no consideration what so ever was given to aesthetics. It's hideous looking.

FYI I'm an adult male with no kids, and absolutely love DCL and Disney in general. I grew up with Disney and with Disney you can be a kid at heart no matter what your age! On NCL, Royal Caribbean, Princess, etc. I can't walk down the corridor humming along with my favorite Disney tunes coming over the PA system. That is really something special for someone like me that loves Disney, but it would be pure hell to others including several of my friends that don't hold Disney in as high esteem as I do. LOL

Edited by eroller

I don't agree. Apples to oranges. Like comparing the Ritz Carlton to a Motel 6 or Emirates First Class to Southwest. It's just not a fair comparison nor is it really relevant.

Based on my experience DCL does things better than most other cruise lines in the same market-segment (I've sailed them all multiple times), therefore I would say DCL is superior in many ways. The downside is they cost more, sometimes substantially so. For many the additional cost is not worth the "Disney Difference" and that is fine. I don't sail on DCL for every cruise (I love variety), but I sure to enjoy them when I do.

Nope....still the same. What if the OP had said "What makes the Ritz Carlton superior to all other hotels?". Still not specifying how low grade a hotel/motel might or might not be.....

Or...."What makes Southwest Airlines superior to all other airlines?"......it's not specific enough to eliminate ALL OF THEM.

But I do agree with you....I've cruised several other lines also, and like I said before, Disney IS better at some things, but not better at ALL things.

Nope....still the same. What if the OP had said "What makes the Ritz Carlton superior to all other hotels?". Still not specifying how low grade a hotel/motel might or might not be.....

Or...."What makes Southwest Airlines superior to all other airlines?"......it's not specific enough to eliminate ALL OF THEM.

Looking at the OP's cruising history which includes Royal Caribbean and Carnival, I really don't think they were looking for a comparison of Disney to luxury lines like Regent, Silversea, Crystal, etc. It's not relevant as the two are nothing alike and frankly it would be a waste of time to try and list all the differences. I don't agree with your rationale but it's fine to disagree.

Looking at the OP's cruising history which includes Royal Caribbean and Carnival, I really don't think they were looking for a comparison of Disney to luxury lines like Regent, Silversea, Crystal, etc. It's not relevant as the two are nothing alike and frankly it would be a waste of time to try and list all the differences. I don't agree with your rationale but it's fine to disagree.

That would be like taking a public opinion poll and only allowing certain responses. Like trying to get an approval rating for the President, but only allowing Democrats to respond.

You aren't going to truly get an accurate result that way.

And there's no way I'm going to ASSUME the OP was only asking about certain cruise lines, based on what she or he may have listed as their cruising history. I don't have mine listed at all.

But..whatever....

Edited by MizDaisy

That would be like taking a public opinion poll and only allowing certain responses. Like trying to get an approval rating for the President, but only allowing Democrats to respond.

You aren't going to truly get an accurate result that way.

And there's no way I'm going to ASSUME the OP was only asking about certain cruise lines, based on what she or he may have listed as their cruising history. I don't have mine listed at all.

But..whatever....

Grasping at straws, but like I say we can agree to disagree.

Grasping at straws, but like I say we can agree to disagree.

Trying to set a limit on comparisons is more desperate, especially when there weren't any limits set in the first place. It's not up to you to decide which cruise lines can and cannot be compared, just so you can get the result you want.

Trying to set a limit on comparisons is more desperate, especially when there weren't any limits set in the first place. It's not up to you to decide which cruise lines can and cannot be compared, just so you can get the result you want.

I don't have an agenda. I cruise on all the lines and I'm not loyal to any in particular. Just stating the obvious. Comparing DCL to a luxury all-inclusive line is not a fair comparison. Period. And I can decide whatever I want. It's a free country last I checked.

Edited by eroller

Hi eroller,

Thanks for your reply.

I agree with a lot of it, especially how ugly the EPIC is in comparison to the DCL ships. I have to say I was proud to be working on the best looking ship in every port!

IMO the best looking main stream cruise ship at sea is now the Disney Wonder.

It would have been the Magic had they not added the AquaDunk and the Ducktail to her, ripped out the second staircase.

The D&F are ugly IMO.

The Quantum does sound like a great ship with so much to do for the whole family, and thats where I think DCL let's itself down.

All of the other lines are playing catch up with innovations, and it will be interesting to see how the Quantum class is recieved against the Oasis class.

The Aida Prima is an interesting looking ship ;) With a hint back to the liners of days gone by with her bow?

aida-prima.jpg

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Hi eroller,

IMO the best looking main stream cruise ship at sea is now the Disney Wonder.

It would have been the Magic had they not added the AquaDunk and the Ducktail to her, ripped out the second staircase.

The D&F are ugly IMO.

The Aida Prima is an interesting looking ship ;) With a hint back to the liners of days gone by with her bow?

aida-prima.jpg

ex techie

I agree AIDA PRIMA is interesting looking, and the bow does harken way back to the early 1900's in terms of liner design. Hard to believe, but AIDA PRIMA is based off the CARNIVAL DREAM platform. Heavily modified of course, but that is where you might say her roots originated.

I think both the DISNEY DREAM & DISNEY FANTASY are fantastic looking ships based on today's standards of maximum balcony penetration. No argument from me that MAGIC and WONDER are better looking, but those two ships would not be built today. Not profitable enough. Another modern day ship I truly love and admire is QM2. It's the one daring thing Carnival Corp. has done the past decade as generally they play it very safe and are not even remotely innovative when it comes to ship design. They are masters of imitation or buying up brands that have already innovative. They have done very little innovation of their own besides learning how to mass-produce a product very cheaply and make tons of money.

I first started cruising when I was a pretty young child, and my first ship was the Italian Line's LEONARDO DA VINCI. Talk about graceful lines, sweeping bow, tiered aft decks, and perfectly proportioned! There were absolutely no balconies so no floating condo look. They just don't build them like this anymore!

14766128058_b56c68bae2_c.jpg

Edited by eroller

Our most recent "non-DCL" was on the Celebrity Infinity. While there were some things that Celebrity did better than DCL' date=' it really highlighted some of why WE like Disney better.

First, the ship was built at about the same time as the Magic.[b'] It really looked like a poor man's version of a cruise ship. Our cabin was about half the size of a DCL cabin. We had twin beds and a chair. No couch, no real sitting area. There was a tiny built in desk. Single bath, small closet[/b]. To their credit, there were many built in cabinets for storage. The food was better on Celebrity and they had an enclosed pool as well as outdoor pool. Since we were in Alaska, the enclosed area was nice. They had a "healthy food" take away window where the food was prepared when you ordered it--yummy and healthy! Their guest services was amazing. Down side--ship appearance. CMs speaking their native language to each other around the ship and on guest elevators. (CMs were allowed to ride guest elevators). Kid programming good, but limited hours. Gift shop very upscale only with the exception of "sale" items. Limited assortment. While food was better, dining service was not. My daughter had an unlimited soda package, but getting a refill at dinner was difficult. The serving team was not unfriendly, but only the head server made any attempt at conversation. The entertainment was HORRIBLE with a couple of exceptions. There was one female comedian and one a capella quartet that were good. Cruise director was all about celebrating himself and what a great CD he was (not). Our stateroom hostess was a dear--very on par with DCL.

So what is special about Disney...be in any port and watch the reaction to any one of the Disney ships. Definitely the best looking ship in any port. That continues inside the ship as well. Wear a Disney shirt and watch the people ask if you are on the Mickey ship. DCL isn't perfect, but it tries. And no one else has Disney imagineering or the special Disney touches all over the ship.

Was this an inside cabin on Infinity?

Was this an inside cabin on Infinity?

The oceanview and inside staterooms on the Infinity ARE quite a bit smaller than the ones on Disney. The inside staterooms on the Infinity are an average of 14 sq ft smaller, a standard balcony can be 60 sq ft smaller....BUT.......a family balcony stateroom on the Infinity is a whopping 209 sq ft larger than Disney's.....and isn't Disney supposed to be all about FAMILIES???? And I won't even begin to compare their (Celebrity) suites. Disney's are not even close.

Edited by MizDaisy

The oceanview and inside staterooms on the Infinity ARE quite a bit smaller than the ones on Disney. The inside staterooms on the Infinity are an average of 14 sq ft smaller, a standard balcony can be 60 sq ft smaller....BUT.......a family balcony stateroom on the Infinity is a whopping 209 sq ft larger than Disney's.....and isn't Disney supposed to be all about FAMILIES???? And I won't even begin to compare their (Celebrity) suites. Disney's are not even close.

Standard insides on DCL's Dream and Fantasy are 169 sq. ft. vs. 170 sq. ft. on the Infinity. Standard insides on the Magic and Wonder are 184 sq. ft. I don't consider the latter's difference of 14 sq. ft. to be "quite a bit smaller." According to the info on Celebrity's web site, their cabins do have a small couch: http://www.celebritycruises.com/ships/celebrity-infinity#Staterooms/ships/celebrity-infinity/staterooms/stateroom-subtype-in-is

Celebrity's standard veranda cabins @ 170 sq. ft. plus 38 sq. ft. veranda are certainly smaller than verandah cabins on DCL (204/214 sq. ft. plus verandahs), but they aren't "half the size" - as moki'smommy said.

Precisely. The topic is Disney superiority over other lines and my point is they aren't! Are you limiting your comparison to cruises that cater to kids? If so, our grandkids who sailed with us last summer on RCCL's Allure of the Seas preferred it to the Disney Fantasy and the Allure was much less expensive than the Fantasy. Furthermore, our cruise on Regency Seven Seas was less expensive than the one on Disney. I realize that all of this is subjective and others will disagree with me. We enjoyed our cruise on the Fantasy as we have enjoyed all 15 cruises we have been on; however, we did not find it superior to the others.

Standard insides on DCL's Dream and Fantasy are 169 sq. ft. vs. 170 sq. ft. on the Infinity. Standard insides on the Magic and Wonder are 184 sq. ft. I don't consider the latter's difference of 14 sq. ft. to be "quite a bit smaller." According to the info on Celebrity's web site, their cabins do have a small couch: http://www.celebritycruises.com/ships/celebrity-infinity#Staterooms/ships/celebrity-infinity/staterooms/stateroom-subtype-in-is

Celebrity's standard veranda cabins @ 170 sq. ft. plus 38 sq. ft. veranda are certainly smaller than verandah cabins on DCL (204/214 sq. ft. plus verandahs), but they aren't "half the size" - as moki'smommy said.

The verandahs on the Infinity are MUCH larger than any of the ones on Disney.

Disney is a great cruise line, but everyone has their preferences. I like it a lot. It's definitely a good cruise line for families.

Just don't over pay when booking and you will enjoy it. Try to book a special rate like the IGT, OGT and VGT rates and you will be happy with your choice.

soccer

I agree AIDA PRIMA is interesting looking, and the bow does harken way back to the early 1900's in terms of liner design. Hard to believe, but AIDA PRIMA is based off the CARNIVAL DREAM platform. Heavily modified of course, but that is where you might say her roots originated.

I think both the DISNEY DREAM & DISNEY FANTASY are fantastic looking ships based on today's standards of maximum balcony penetration. No argument from me that MAGIC and WONDER are better looking, but those two ships would not be built today. Not profitable enough. Another modern day ship I truly love and admire is QM2. It's the one daring thing Carnival Corp. has done the past decade as generally they play it very safe and are not even remotely innovative when it comes to ship design. They are masters of imitation or buying up brands that have already innovative. They have done very little innovation of their own besides learning how to mass-produce a product very cheaply and make tons of money.

I first started cruising when I was a pretty young child, and my first ship was the Italian Line's LEONARDO DA VINCI. Talk about graceful lines, sweeping bow, tiered aft decks, and perfectly proportioned! There were absolutely no balconies so no floating condo look. They just don't build them like this anymore!

Given that the Carnival Dream platform (with sister ships such the Carnival Magic and Carnival Breeze also sharing her platform) only has a 49% of Staterooms with balconies and the Disney Magic Class with with 44%, and they were launched 10-14 years before the Disney Magic, I wonder if the Aida Prima will have more balcony Staterooms than her sisters that share the same platform?

They managed to increase the balcony count on the Dream, by making her a quite a lot longer and wider and .

(Magic class has 44% balcony Staterooms) so a 64% increase in balconies (Dream Class has 72% balcony Staterooms) vs. 57% increase in ship dead weight, 15% increased length, 29% increased beam and 13 years in ship development by corporations such as Carnival Corp, RCI etc that they have copied their inovations.

I think we are agreeing to a point! :)

ex techie

Edit to add:

I WILL 100% agree that the LEONARDO DA VINCI was a magnificent and beautiful looking vessel!

Edited by Ex techie

Not really superior to all the other mass market cruise lines that we have experienced (75 cruises on all mass market cruise lines past/present).

More of a unique Disney atmosphere onboard with the same old ports of call ( Castaway Cay is nice but so are the other private islands).

Justifying the extra cost is often difficult.

Unique describes DCL better than superior to us.

I would really have to agree wholeheartily! Do you have young kids and do you LOVE Disney characters and everything about Disney? Then that's the line for you. Do you have teens or are you an adult who likes to gamble and have a ton more options as well as a far superior ship? Then try Allure or Oasis from Royal Caribbean. Those are tops to me. I don't want tons of kids running around on my cruise, so I stick with Royal where I get treated as more of an adult. But the DCL ships are gorgeous and I do love Disney, so if they had a casino onboard (which I don't understand because they certainly serve alcohol), I would be back onboard in a heartbeat.

OH, but WAIT! Yep, the big draw is that you are paying TWO to THREE times the same amount for a lesser category cabin than you would on any other line WITH a casino, and that includes Oasis and Allure (which I find hard to beat). So if you are REALLY, REALLY into Disney and you want suckered into paying so much more for that Disney name, then I would say that Disney is superior. Otherwise, it's just different or unique and a ton more expensive.

I went back and found my review of my first Disney cruise on the DISNEY WONDER in 2009. I titled the review "The Disney Difference". I think it's appropriate for this thread as it outlines many of the differences that you will find on a Disney cruise compared to other major cruise lines. Some aspects may not appeal to the OP and some might, but hopefully it will provide some insight into the differences.

Overall if there is anything you should take away from the review it's that Disney is very detail oriented. If detail is not your thing, move on to another cruise line and save a dime. If attention to detail is something you appreciate along with everything being Disney themed, then you may have found your new favorite cruise line! Happy reading.

================================

The Disney Difference

For years I have enjoyed the advantages of staying at Disney owned properties in Walt Disney World. The various themes are extremely well executed, and the Disney attention to detail is difficult to surpass. Of course you pay a premium to stay at Disney but then I’ve always felt I received more than enough value in return. I’ve often wondered how this Disney value proposition would translate into a shipboard experience. After all, there is a lot of competition in the cruise industry and Disney Cruise Line doesn’t have the landside advantage of a theme park on the aft deck. For this reason, along with the fact I have no children and the extra cost compared to various competitors, I have not sailed on Disney … until now.

My November 5, 2009 sailing on the DISNEY WONDER marked my 79th cruise. I have enjoyed sailing on everything from budget cruise lines to top of the line luxury ships. I am also a big fan of Disney, so please keep this in mind as you read on. What might seem impressive to me could be something of no importance to you.

I have always admired the Disney Cruise Line ships ever since they were introduced. They are stunning on the exterior, and looked beautiful in pictures. There appeared to be a lot of Disney touches but nothing too over the top. Disney’s intention when building the Magic and Wonder was to create a modern day interpretation of a classic ocean liner, with a little Disney pixie dust thrown in for good measure. I think they succeeded!

Rather than write a traditional review, I’m going to focus on the “Disney Differences”. These are the unique attributes that can only be found on Disney. Basically all the little extras that essentially rounded out my Disney Cruise experience, and left me feeling I received an exceptional value for what I paid.

Lets get started.

The attention to detail started even before we left, with the ability to schedule a Character Call to a phone number of your choice. It's a cute personalized greeting from Mickey or another character welcoming you onboard your Disney ship. In addition, actual paper documents and pre printed baggage tags were received which is something no cruise line does anymore except the highest end luxury lines. Nice touch!

It’s rare these days, but when you book transfers through Disney they actually pick up your luggage for you at the airport, and deliver it to your cabin. When you check your bag at your departure airport, you don’t see it again until you are onboard ship. It went without a hitch but be sure your Disney tags are attached prior to checking your bag at your departure airport.

DCL offered complete check-in at the airport. When we arrived at the pier all the check-in formalities had already been completed. We were even given our “Key to the World” card, or cruise charge card/cabin key at the airport.

The DCL transfer busses are custom designed. They have “portholes” for windows, DCL logos in the seat fabric, and present a DCL video on the way to the port. It was a festive way to begin my first Disney Cruise vacation.

The DCL terminal at Port Canaveral is again custom designed by Disney. It’s impressive and designed to look like an ocean liner terminal from yesteryear. There is an exceptional model of the ship, with a cut-away view in the center of the terminal. Don’t miss it!

As you board the DISNEY WONDER, you are met by the staff and your name is actually announced over the PA (lobby area only). I was announced as a first time DCL cruiser. This was not really my cup of tea but it was unique, and just one example of how Disney goes the extra mile to make you feel special.

The sail away party is not to be missed. It’s fully choreographed and of course the Disney characters are in full force. The ship’s whistle plays “When you wish upon a star” as you depart. The Goofy Pool, otherwise known as the family pool is where all the outdoor action takes place. There is a large stage, a giant screen TV, and a teak dance floor that automatically covers the pool at the touch of a button.

Rotational Dining. This is something only DCL offers. There are three unique dining rooms, each with a theme. Each night you rotate to a different dining room, remaining at the same table number. The best part is your wait staff rotates with you! The three dining rooms are Animator’s Palate, Tritons, and Parrot Cay. Animator’s Palate is a “show dinner”, with changing walls going from black and white to full color by the end of dinner. Parrot Cay is Island theme, and Tritons is more formal and is the French dinner. Animator’s Palate was my favorite. Overall, food and service were excellent. Your dining rotation and table number are printed on your “Key to the World” card.

The staff. There is a difference on Disney! The staff was extra friendly and accommodating, perhaps more so then any other large ship I have sailed. There were more Australians and Canadians working onboard then I have seen on any other cruise line. As an example, the first night at dinner our waiter and his assistant actually called us by name. That is a first for me, even on luxury lines like Silversea. Another example is the cabin steward knocked on our door, introduced himself and gave an overview of the cabin amenities soon after we boarded. This is impressive for a three day cruise.

The evening shows. I think it’s unprecedented that are three, full-scale production shows on a 3-night cruise. You are lucky to have three production shows on a 7-night cruise. All three shows were phenomenal. The Golden Mickey’s, Toy Story the Musical, and Disney Dreams. Toy Story and Disney Dreams were truly Broadway caliber shows and the best I’ve seen on any ship.

Fireworks at sea! Who else but Disney would have fireworks at sea? Of course it’s all set to a Pirates in the Caribbean Party on deck, complete with music, a choreographed show, costumes, and Disney characters of course with Mickey even sliding down the funnel! It was excellent!

Castaway Cay. Until now, Royal Caribbean’s Labadee was my favorite private beach day. I was truly impressed with Castaway Cay. The theme of the entire island was so well executed, and I loved the fact the ship actually docked instead of anchoring. We loved the adult’s only beach called Serenity Bay and there was even a post office. The beach barbeque was better then any other I have experienced on these islands, and you could even order a grilled steak at Serenity Bay. Well done! Plenty of soft serve ice cream and free soft drinks as well.

Free soft drinks. It’s minor but it was so nice having a 24-hour beverage station up by the pool. You could serve yourself whatever soft drink you like, and refill as often as you like. Soft drinks are complimentary in the dining room and on Castaway Cay as well.

The Cabin. We booked a standard outside with balcony on Deck 7. It was larger and better appointed compared to other mass-market ships. I loved the large closets with sliding doors and the two bathrooms. One offered a toilet and sink, and the other a tub and sink. Very practical. Also, the finish in the bathrooms was exceptional. Higher grade faucets and actual tile. Most ship bathrooms today are one pre-fabricated plastic unit. Not so on Disney! In addition there were lots of Disney touches like the bedside lamps, the propeller clock, a steamer truck that opened to reveal shelving, and even hidden Mickey’s!

If you like Disney Classic films, then you are in for a treat. The flat-panel TV in the cabin has multiple channels showing various Disney animated classics. In addition there are the usual channels like CNN, the navigation channel, and Disney promotional channels. Watching bits of Cinderella and Snow White just added to the magic. I haven’t seen those since I was a small child.

In addition to the beautiful Walt Disney Theater, the Disney ships offer a true shipboard theater that shows first run films as well as Disney classics. It’s called the Buena Vista Theater. In fact if Disney premiers a movie on land, it premiers on the ship the same day. The new Disney film “A Christmas Carol” premiered on the DISNEY WONDER at 12:01am on Friday night. Pretty cool!

Disney Characters. Yup, they’re everywhere. You never know when you will turn the corner and bump into Mickey Mouse or one of his buddies. I loved it and enjoyed watching the kid’s reactions when they saw the characters.

Just for Adults. On DCL, even if you are traveling without kids you are well cared for. I was impressed by the variety and quantity of adult only areas. One big difference with DCL is they actually enforce these areas. There is the Quiet Cove pool along with the adjacent Cove Café and Outlook Café. The Spa, and “Route 66”, which is an entire section of the ship located on Deck 3 forward that is dedicated to adult only lounges. Diversions is a sports bar, Wave Bands is a multi-purpose club, and the Cadillac Lounge is an intimate piano bar. I really fell in love with the Cadillac Lounge. It’s become one of my favorite all-time shipboard venues.

Palo – This is the adult only specialty restaurant. We dined in Palo the second night and the experience was awesome. We had an excellent waiter from Australia and the food and presentation were superb.

Piped in music. I know I lot of people don’t like piped in music in the halls and foyers, but I really enjoyed it on DCL. I liked hearing Disney theme music as I walked to my cabin, or something like the theme from Pirates of the Caribbean on Pirates night. It’s a pirate’s life for me!

Overall ship décor and organization. The DISNEY WONDER is a class act. It’s not garish or overdone. The attention to detail is stunning and the ship was extremely clean and in excellent shape. I loved the teak decking and loungers in the Quite Cove pool, and little Disney touches all over. Even the deck chairs had the Disney logo imprinted into them, as well as the light switches in the cabin. The organization of the activities, meals, shows, etc. was excellent. DCL obviously has this down to a science. The ship was extremely spacious and at no time did I feel crowded except for the buffet.

I was surprised by the fact I never felt overwhelmed by the kids. There were a lot onboard, but they were so engaged in their own activities that you never felt bombarded by them. In addition they were well behaved and stayed clear of the adult areas. I have actually sailed on “regular” cruise lines where the kids were much more in your face.

There were only two announcements per day, and the liquor we purchased in Nassau was not confiscated at the gangway. I felt this was a touch of class unlike so many cruise lines today.

Disembarkation was simple and easy. Like most lines you put out your luggage the night before. Unlike most lines your luggage tag is a Disney character as opposed to a color or number. Ours was Tinkerbell. We literally walked off the ship when we were ready; with no line what so ever.

Well, not everything is perfect. So what didn’t I like? Very few things actually.

The Beach Blanket Buffet area is far too small for a ship this size.

I wish they used a fitted sheet instead of a flat sheet on the mattress.

It’s time to replace the bedspreads.

The showerhead needed replacing. It was old and lacked water pressure.

Overall I hope you can tell I truly enjoyed my first Disney Cruise experience. While I will continue to sail on other cruise lines, I now know what makes DCL tick. It’s the attention to detail, that special Disney magic, a focus on quality, a happy and experienced crew, the ability to make every passenger feel special, and a well-designed and beautiful ship.

I look forward to sailing on Disney Cruise Line in the future, and of course I am excited about the new DISNEY DREAM and DISNEY FANTASY.

There's nothing that drives me more crazy than when someone says Disney has "Free" soda. It's not free. It's INCLUDED in that higher price that you're paying. And it's not convenient. If I'm down in the theater, or in a club, and I want a soda, I'm not about to run all the way up to the pool deck to get a small cup of soda. And the choices are limited.

Palo and Remy are very nice, but other ships also have some really nice upsell restaurants, and they aren't as high priced as Palo and Remy.

Anyway, I could say more, but it's really that "free" soda thing that gets me.

There's nothing that drives me more crazy than when someone says Disney has "Free" soda. It's not free. It's INCLUDED in that higher price that you're paying. And it's not convenient. If I'm down in the theater, or in a club, and I want a soda, I'm not about to run all the way up to the pool deck to get a small cup of soda. And the choices are limited.

Palo and Remy are very nice, but other ships also have some really nice upsell restaurants, and they aren't as high priced as Palo and Remy.

Anyway, I could say more, but it's really that "free" soda thing that gets me.

After that entire review which DID provide the OP many of the things that are different about DCL, that is ALL you had to say? Nitpick nitpick. Nothing drives me more crazy than someone that constantly criticizes yet has nothing of value to add. If you're so down on Disney why even sail on them? Go elsewhere and be happy.

I could also say more but I'll leave it at that.

Edited by eroller