What makes disney superior over other lines out there?

Susiecruisey

Awe Daisy...................

dcl is not only different it is easily better then the major lines.........vessels' date=' service, food(ok food is very arbitrary), entertainment, etc.......Yes some will disagree.....but the over whelming majority will support me on this.

The only question is, if it worth the extra you get on DCL...........since these days they don't seem to be having any trouble filling the ships I would have to say..........YES.

Carnival line, RCCL and NCL are all still having to deeply discount many of there vessels and cruses to keep them at a operating level. RCCL new monster ship is even going to the far east as there is not the market for it in the US and European market.

AKK

PS, I am really tired on the soda thing......there you are right and everyone should understand its not FREE![/quote']

Now, Skipper, DCL isn't better, it's just different. :) Of course people here will agree with you, they're on a Disney board. Go over to a different one and you're going to get a different answer.

Celebrity's ships are equally as nice as DCL's ships, they just don't have Disney characters everywhere. I've experienced good and marginal service on every line I've been on, mostly good. The only truly BAD service I've ever gotten was a room steward on DCL Wonder. Entertainment....well, if you like Disney stuff, that's true. However, some of us would prefer to see a good hypnotist or magician or dance number. There are lines that do those things very well.

I question the business decision by CCL and RCCL to have so many ships. That's why they're discounting, basic supply and demand. If DCL had 23 ships they'd be discounting, too. Even with only four ships, the last time I looked they had discounted the heck out of October cruises.

I love that so many people are passionate about what they like, especially when it's something I like....cruising. But really, to answer the OP's question, DCL isn't superior...it's just different.

Hey there Texas!

Now, Skipper, DCL isn't better, it's just different. :) Of course people here will agree with you, they're on a Disney board. Go over to a different one and you're going to get a different answer.

But even on the other boards you will here many many people saying DCL puts on a overall better, excellent cruise, they just don't want to pay for it.

Celebrity's ships are equally as nice as DCL's ships, they just don't have Disney characters everywhere. I've experienced good and marginal service on every line I've been on, mostly good. The only truly BAD service I've ever gotten was a room steward on DCL Wonder. Entertainment....well, if you like Disney stuff, that's true. However, some of us would prefer to see a good hypnotist or magician or dance number. There are lines that do those things very well.

Actually I see HAL as mostly square ships, not at all with the grace and smooth lines of the DCL vessels. As to entertainment , from what I am reading on CL, RCCL and to NCL is the entertainer is not good at all..I hear complaints left and right, especially CL.

I question the business decision by CCL and RCCL to have so many ships. That's why they're discounting, basic supply and demand. If DCL had 23 ships they'd be discounting, too. Even with only four ships, the last time I looked they had discounted the heck out of October cruises.

We agree on that, CL and Rccl are running to many ships the reasoning is beyond me....the only good result for now is cheap cruise prices. However the second they can rise their prices, they will!

I love that so many people are passionate about what they like, especially when it's something I like....cruising. But really, to answer the OP's question, DCL isn't superior...it's just different.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this, ...............We find DCL to be overall better, but to each their own.

Now all that said.......we are hoping to hit Bermuda on EOS this summer. I never said I never would sail another line ;)

AKK

to answer the OP's question, DCL isn't superior...it's just different.

We find DCL to be overall better' date=' but to each their own.[/color']

Now all that said.......we are hoping to hit Bermuda on EOS this summer. I never said I never would sail another line ;)

AKK

I think it is fair to say DCL is unique in some of their offerings and different to some other lines, but not superior.

ex techie

• 2 weeks later...
Hey there Texas!

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this' date=' ...............We find DCL to be overall better, but to each their own.[/color']

AKK

We had to cancel Bermuda this year and I was hoping to do it in 2015 but I think the graduating senior may have different ideas for her cruise! Then again, she's not paying for it. Maybe we'll end up in Bermuda after all. :D

I just wanted to comment on the free soda.

We usually cruise on Celebrity and we always get the soda package. Yes, it costs $7 a day per person. But I think we can all figure it out that when you cruise on DCL, you do pay for your soda, just not a daily charge;).

But my comment is this. We find that the soda on DCL is not something that we would consider convenient. It is nice that they give it in the dining rooms, but other than that you have to high-tail it up to the top deck to get it from the fountain. Each and every time.:rolleyes:

We enjoy it on Celebrity because you can get a can of cold soda every place but your cabin.

And if you want it in your cabin, get it at any bar and put it in your little refrigerator for later.

I never mind the hike to the top deck for the soda, because it helps to burn off all the calories taken in during the cruise. :D

Hey there Texas!

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this' date=' ...............We find DCL to be overall better, but to each their own.[/color']

AKK

You're going to have to hit LOS. EOS has left and I was sad to see her go. We were suppose to go to Bermuda on our Oct 18th cruise but were diverted to Canada due to Gonzalos, so no Bermuda. Canada was nice but the real fun was on the ship. We had a great time, but Disney is still the most fun for us.

They are different experiences and both do a good job, but when it came to service and feeling like royalty, Disney does it best. We also cruise other lines and normally have a lot of fun, but we have yet to have a better time than when on a Disney cruise. Disney is the best in our eyes too!

Now that we live in Florida, it's very hard to justify the Disney cost. It's just me and DH, We love Disney, have Annual Passes and even got married at Castaway Cay.

We just sailed Princess (which I really enjoyed). Princess definitely caters more to adults than Disney and there were a lot of things I like better on Princess. Their food is a step up from Disney. Their pools are larger, and I love the Movies Under the Stars. There are a lot more events during the day that cater to adults. They seem to let their staff have a lot more fun in the demonstrations, especially the bartenders. They offer drink specials have have happy hour twice on sea days and once on port days. There is more nightlife and have a lot more bar/cafe/relaxation areas. They don't have any adult only areas but we didn't see many kids on board at all.

Disney excels in service in most cases. We did have poor service on the Dream on both of our Dream sailings. The other three ships have all been good to outstanding in the excellence department. Palo is one of my favorite places to eat at, ever. Disney has larger inside rooms with IMO nicer decor and their ships are brighter with a larger atrium area. However, they fail on the design of the adult only areas where they are right outside the forward elevators causing families to walk right through them. Because of the classic liner ship design, they take away a lot of space which could be used for more public areas.

Is it worth the premium pricing? If you have kids who love Disney, probably. For us, probably not anymore. We have just one Disney cruise booked next year, along with two Royal and two NCL. We will probably still book Disney for longer sailings (transatlantic or Panama Canal) but the 50% cost difference in the 3-7 day make it not worth it for us anymore as we have no airfare to think about.

To the person earlier in the thread who said that CMs spoke their own language on Celebrity, I have seen them do that on DCL. I don't care if they do or don't speak in their own language.

(Their free soda thing annoys me too. You're paying for it in the cruise fare and it's only free at dinner or on the pool deck. If you get it from room service or a bar it's not free. A solution would be to add more soda fountains to the ship that are not on the pol deck.)

Sent from my iPad using Forums