Viking Rhine Getaway - Our photo intensive review on the Viking Ingvi, Summer 2014

cruisinskier

We found there was lots of storage space in the room for the two of us. We did request extra hangers which were provided quickly. We did have an issue the first night with a broken door restraint on the closet. Basically, the door slid across every time the boat had any motion....not that there was much motion on the boat but apparently just enough to make a closet door slam :D And also the light in the closet area is automatic so it would come on every time the door opened. Anyway, we raised this to the front desk and it was fixed quickly. The maintenance man checked in a few times throughout the week to ensure all was well.

The safe had lots of room and easily fit my 13 inch laptop.

DSC07176.jpg

DSC07178.jpg

DSC07199.jpg

DSC07201.jpg

There was also lots of drawer space although the first door is actually the fridge. The bottom drawers are double depth. We had lots of extra storage room with the suitcases fitting under the bed as usual. My wife used the hairdryer all week and found it sufficient.

DSC07179.jpg

DSC07180.jpg

DSC07182.jpg

DSC07186.jpg

DSC07181.jpg

Our room steward, Jovancho, was quiet but efficient. He seemed to know every time we left the room. He was a man of few words but did a great job.

We did not really watch and TV but I know people always ask so here are a few shots of what options are available. There were numerous recent release movies available if you choose, all included.

DSC07196.jpg

DSC07169.jpg

DSC07293.jpg

DSC07292.jpg

DSC07295.jpg

DSC07296.jpg

The bathroom was small although similar to any other bathroom on a cruise ship. Space was well used and the shower door was split so we found be leaving the doors pushed into the shower when not using it made the room feel larger. There was a switch to heat the floors in the bathroom which we did not use but I am sure it would be nice for those Christmas cruises!

DSC07171.jpg

DSC07174.jpg

DSC07175.jpg

DSC07173.jpg

DSC07198.jpg

Enjoying your review and photos. It's amazing how similar the layouts and rooms look on these ships (we just returned from a Vantage cruise). Guess there is only so much you can do with the same amount of space! (Even had the same shampoo, conditioner, gel bottles!)

Did notice the shuffleboard, putting range and flower pots on the top deck... wonder if they also have to be removed when the river is high. We had a chess set on our deck that disappeared quite often (along with all the chairs and even railings!) due to high water.

Also Vikings laundry prices are a bit higher than we experienced. We used the laundry service twice ( 20 days on board 2 ships)) and found it quite fast and efficient.

Did you use the balcony much? Does the balcony space come from inside the room?

Wish I were river cruising again this week.... :)

You are doing a great job! If anybody had questions you are "checking every box"!

I do have one question though.....Did you find the shower doors didn't seal and the bathroom floor would/could get wet? If so, did you find a solution?

Hi Jerry from a kindred Canadian detailed trip planner :D. Your review and pictures are fabulous! We are doing this same itinerary a year from now on Viking Idi so your review is directly relevant. I will be following it closely and will post your link on our Viking Rhine Getaway 2015 roll call. Thanks!

Fabulous photos!!! Should answer all questions about Viking's longboats! Except for some decoration details - large photo at top of stairs, lounge furniture coverings - it looks just like the Rinda we took last December and all the other longboats.

Thanks again!!!

I know this is the River Cruise part of CC - but perhaps you could go to the ports area to post about Ypres (would enjoy hear about you trip there, we had a one-day private excursion in 2011), Amsterdam (we've been 3 times), Belgium, and Paris (4 days in 2012 and will be spending 8 days in September).

I'm know we're not the only ones who would enjoy & benefit from your photos and review!!

Just a stupid question? You did a remarkable job showing the ship and room etc.. I am not a photo person but would like to know what type of camera and how did you download to cruise critic forum.

On our last cruise I just used my I Pad and shared photos..I would love to learn how this was accomplished. It was great..

Enjoying your review and photos. It's amazing how similar the layouts and rooms look on these ships (we just returned from a Vantage cruise). Guess there is only so much you can do with the same amount of space! (Even had the same shampoo, conditioner, gel bottles!)

Did notice the shuffleboard, putting range and flower pots on the top deck... wonder if they also have to be removed when the river is high. We had a chess set on our deck that disappeared quite often (along with all the chairs and even railings!) due to high water.

Also Vikings laundry prices are a bit higher than we experienced. We used the laundry service twice ( 20 days on board 2 ships)) and found it quite fast and efficient.

Did you use the balcony much? Does the balcony space come from inside the room?

Wish I were river cruising again this week.... :)

Hi PBNJ, the highest area of the sun deck is around mid ship and then there are a few steps down to the area with the recliners, garden, etc. In most cases the chairs get folded down for low bridges and the awning above it is motorized and also folds down. However we were experiencing high water on this trip and apparently there was one bridge where they did have to remove all the railings, etc to fit under. Apparently this was the first time this had to be done since the Ingvi was launched earlier this spring. We were not on-board to see this as we were at one of the optional tours however we heard about it from others.

We did use the balcony a fair bit each day, morning tea and to relax after shore excursions. While I am sure the size of the room is impacted somewhat, Viking shifted the centre hallway off-centre and rooms on the other side of the boat are turned sideways to make this design work. We had no regrets with having a balcony, especially mid-summer.

Thanks and happy travels!

You are doing a great job! If anybody had questions you are "checking every box"!

I do have one question though.....Did you find the shower doors didn't seal and the bathroom floor would/could get wet? If so, did you find a solution?

Hi Rothbury, actually the shower doors worked great. Not once was there any water on the floor. The doors meet in the middle of the shower and both doors have a seal on them. Worked great!

Thanks for your kind comments! I am using the "picture is worth a 1000 words" approach. :D

Hi Jerry from a kindred Canadian detailed trip planner :D. Your review and pictures are fabulous! We are doing this same itinerary a year from now on Viking Idi so your review is directly relevant. I will be following it closely and will post your link on our Viking Rhine Getaway 2015 roll call. Thanks!

Hi Betty! Yes us chronic planners need to form a support group...or maybe that is what CC is :D

I have seen the info you have posted to the 2015 thread and you have done a fabulous job. I also remember your website was very detailed. Hoping I can provide a few details to assist with your planning...only a year to go ;)

Fabulous photos!!! Should answer all questions about Viking's longboats! Except for some decoration details - large photo at top of stairs, lounge furniture coverings - it looks just like the Rinda we took last December and all the other longboats.

Thanks again!!!

I know this is the River Cruise part of CC - but perhaps you could go to the ports area to post about Ypres (would enjoy hear about you trip there, we had a one-day private excursion in 2011), Amsterdam (we've been 3 times), Belgium, and Paris (4 days in 2012 and will be spending 8 days in September).

I'm know we're not the only ones who would enjoy & benefit from your photos and review!!

Hi Peg! Thanks for your kind words. I am actually leaning towards just posting some photos from each town directly in this review given there seems to be interest. After all, our visits to those areas were all based around our cruise and future cruisers could decide to visit. It will take a while to get all the photos sorted and downloaded so please bear with me. Ypres was fantastic and one of the highlights of our entire trip. More to follow soon.

Just a stupid question? You did a remarkable job showing the ship and room etc.. I am not a photo person but would like to know what type of camera and how did you download to cruise critic forum.

On our last cruise I just used my I Pad and shared photos..I would love to learn how this was accomplished. It was great..

Hi amd1234 and thanks for your comments. My camera is nothing really fancy, no detachable lens or anything....it is a higher end point & shoot (Sony) that fits in my pocket which I find more convenient than lugging a big camera around. Full description / model #, etc of the camera is in my first post of this thread.

Not a stupid question at all....I remember trying to figure this out myself a while back. To post photos you need to use a hosting site (I use Photobucket) and then you just copy the IMG link. If you are interested, a Google search will also help guide you through the process (there are also threads on CC specific to posting photos if you do a search). Good luck and I look forward to your next review :)

Edited by cruisinskier

Love your review andallthe photos and can't wait for more. I leave in two days for the Rhine Getaway on the Viking Sun, one of the older boats, but I'm sure it will still be great.

Hi Mimmy! Thanks for the kind words and have a fantastic cruise!

Great photos nice and sharp and clear. Looking forward to seeing more.

Not sailing on Viking but enjoying this so much! Wish I could find one as comprehensive about AmaWaterways!:D Doing our first river cruise in December so it is all new to us. Thank you again!

Thanks for the comments!

goinsoon, enjoy your cruise, I have heard very good things about AMA from friends who have sailed with them.