El Cheapo Cruises Thread

Yeap. This ship seems to have a lot of the baragins at the moment. I think its a case of Celebrity just wanting the ship to be full. However, I only really saw them at the inside cabins of which I snagged one for the 1 December sailing.

The ship still seems to have plenty of availability too.

Yes, even the Solstice has some great last minute savings, $889 for balcony on the 8 night cruise in October.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Please could you explain why it is worthwhile buying OBC. Isn't it just as easy to pay at the end of the cruise? I have $150 OBC as I used a FCC for my upcoming cruise, and expect that will go in purchases from the shop for our grandkids and the occasional drink as I don't like doing ships excursions.

Just wondering why folk would buy extra OBC unless its just to get the good exchange rate but unless spending a lot of $$ I wouldn't think it was worth the effort. Please enlighten me, I love to get a good deal so if there is a bargain to be head I need to know!!!

Yes, only for the exchange rate. I.e. there's no point buying more than you'll actually spend onboard.

But you can use for gratuities as a starting point if you haven't prepaid, so small amounts can usually be easily swiped up.

How would that work - I saw that they were allowing you to buy AUD$25 in OBC but would think that that would mean that it would be converted to US$ by them or am I missing something? :confused:

Edited - just noticed that you have written that people are saying that the get the equivalent $ - can you point me to the link please? thanks :)

This was the thread where it was talked about. The thread does go over a variety of subjects and views from different countries. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2027656

this is the celebrity OBC purchase area.... http://www.celebritycruises.com/bonvoyage/cruise-onboard-credit/onbdcr

As you can see, it just says the cost in AUD$. I am purely going on the fact that people have said they got US$25 for a parity cost. Nobody contradicted this at all. I went for shipboard credit as I figure I can spend that on anything. I will be back here after our November cruise to let people know how I went! I figure the worst will be that they apply the exchange rate and we have our purchase converted to US$ at their rate. We have only purchased $125 in total, so not a big hit.

Today little baragin

Ship Name: Voyager Of The Seas Cruise Code: VY25NOV14 Departure Date: Tuesday, 25 November 2014 Cruise Name: Singapore to Sydney Nights: 13 Departing: Singapore

Inside Guaranteed $932

Oceanview Guaranteed $1361

Balcony Guaranteed $1626

Happy Snoozing. Ooops Cruising.

Today little baragin

Ship Name: Voyager Of The Seas Cruise Code: VY25NOV14 Departure Date: Tuesday, 25 November 2014 Cruise Name: Singapore to Sydney Nights: 13 Departing: Singapore

Inside Guaranteed $932

Oceanview Guaranteed $1361

Balcony Guaranteed $1626

Happy Snoozing. Ooops Cruising.

Just by way of comparison the same cruise from the USA TA. +55 and previous passenger entered into pricing calculator.

INS GTY $852

OV GTY $1142 US

BALC GTY $1345 US

I believe that comes paid gratuities and $200OBC.

I think as a source of info we should cross check all these prices so we are aware.

This was the thread where it was talked about. The thread does go over a variety of subjects and views from different countries. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2027656

this is the celebrity OBC purchase area.... http://www.celebritycruises.com/bonvoyage/cruise-onboard-credit/onbdcr

As you can see, it just says the cost in AUD$. I am purely going on the fact that people have said they got US$25 for a parity cost. Nobody contradicted this at all. I went for shipboard credit as I figure I can spend that on anything. I will be back here after our November cruise to let people know how I went! I figure the worst will be that they apply the exchange rate and we have our purchase converted to US$ at their rate. We have only purchased $125 in total, so not a big hit.

Thanks...i may buy some now anyway and see how it goes :)

Just by way of comparison the same cruise from the USA TA. +55 and previous passenger entered into pricing calculator.

INS GTY $852

OV GTY $1142 US

BALC GTY $1345 US

I believe that comes paid gratuities and $200OBC.

I think as a source of info we should cross check all these prices so we are aware.

Does it include taxes and port charges and then add on difference for exchange rate.

Does it include taxes and port charges and then add on difference for exchange rate.

Includes all taxes, port charges etc. As I said just not grats. With the exchange rate it is close but the balcony for example is $1442 Aus at the current rate. Yes you will probably pay a little extra but my Citibank + Visa Debit give me as close as possible to the prevailing rate. So prices are similar but with the added perks and flexibility I know which way I would go.

I have also seen cases when things sway to the local price.

I just think it is a worthwhile exercise to check each posting on here from both the Aussie and US costs. I think it will help us all and that is why I love this thread. I will try to do as often as I can which should be reasonably often as I am a little obsessive compulsive about bargain hunting.

Includes all taxes, port charges etc. As I said just not grats. With the exchange rate it is close but the balcony for example is $1442 Aus at the current rate. Yes you will probably pay a little extra but my Citibank + Visa Debit give me as close as possible to the prevailing rate. So prices are similar but with the added perks and flexibility I know which way I would go.

I have also seen cases when things sway to the local price.

I just think it is a worthwhile exercise to check each posting on here from both the Aussie and US costs. I think it will help us all and that is why I love this thread. I will try to do as often as I can which should be reasonably often as I am a little obsessive compulsive about bargain hunting.

The OBC will definitely make it worthwhile then.:D

OK a little off topic but still in the cost saving mode. Is it possible for 5 people.2 oldies(us) 2 x 20 somethings and their 1 year old to all sail in the same cabin. Can it work out cheaper or almost as cheap to book a suite for 5 as two separate OV's etc. I know I can call up a TA, cruise line rep etc. and find out but am more interested in what experienced cruisers think of the idea. Might be able to take advantage of RCCL 3rd, 4th person for free etc. I like to have some background knowledge before I speak to the booking person as I have found at time they are not all over some of the categories/issues.

Edited by woodyren

Pity I cant go. Full book till later next year. All these searches at the moment are in the name of research.

But the researching is so much fun and gives you such a headstart when looking at booking next year for cruises the year after.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

OK a little off topic but still in the cost saving mode. Is it possible for 5 people.2 oldies(us) 2 x 20 somethings and their 1 year old to all sail in the same cabin. Can it work out cheaper or almost as cheap to book a suite for 5 as two separate OV's etc. I know I can call up a TA, cruise line rep etc. and find out but am more interested in what experienced cruisers think of the idea. Might be able to take advantage of RCCL 3rd, 4th person for free etc. I like to have some background knowledge before I speak to the booking person as I have found at time they are not all over some of the categories/issues.

Definitely possible to do.

But as far as savings against an OV, it's very uncommon. Usually it's the kind of thing you do because you normally travel in suites, rather than it being a better price.

As for the 3/4 offer, if you do some price comparisons, you'll see in <some (not all)> of those cases, they raise the twin price when they lower the 3/4 rate. Also, some promotions are effectively only for 3/4 bookings and not greater.

It is doable but would be rather cramped at times i would think? When we had my mum in law livign with us, we found it better to have 2 cabins albeit interconnecting ones. It just gave us the extra space and the extra bathroom came in very handy. Sadly she is no longer with us and now we share one cabin (three of us) and it suits us fine but i dont think i would say the same if there was four of us in the one cabin.

2 bathrooms, and a bit of space if needed (particularly for the young one sleeping)....I think a lot of the time 2 rooms wins hands down, but you need to add it up with the 3 and 4 passengers deal if it applies. Ask for a quote both ways, and research the room sizes. Good question!:)

another good bargain

24th november Voyager from Singapore to Sydney

inside gte $1499

outside gte $1799

balcony gte $2199

suite gte $2799

What's Included?

Your holiday includes,

• One way flight from Sydney

• One night pre cruise stay in Singapore staying at the V Hotel Lavender or similar

• Thirteen night cruise on Royal Caribbean's 4 star rated ship the Voyager of the Seas on full board basis

• All port fees, taxes, food and entertainment

Transfers and gratuities are not included

That is a pretty good price as it includes the airfare, must work out to be just over $100 /person/per day for a balcony.:D

yes its a good price but the company advertise it may not be a direct flight

they advertise in the travel section with the sunday tele

When you look at the cruise price then the flight/hotel adds about $500-600 costs.

You can get there by Scoot for $254 on the 13th. Direct.

Air Asia via KL is about $268.

Jetstar via Melbourne is about $420

Of course there will be baggage to pay with them all.

Etihad via Brisbane $490 no baggage costs.