El Cheapo Cruises Thread

8 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I find it hard to believe that Carnival would be selling cruises, with full payment now, and non refundable.  Australian waters are not even open for cruising at present.  How could anyone trust a cruiseline which does that?  Have Carnival provided refunds for all cruises cancelled because of corona virus?

It should have said through to June 22 and have now corrected. 

Edited by Cruisegroover

2 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

Sorry my bad I should have typed 2022 but typed 2021 I have now corrected.

Sorry my bad I should have typed 2022 - I have now corrected.

So Carnival wants full payment, non refundable for a cruise in 2022?  Seems the risk is all on the passenger, with so many things unknown about the corona virus, at this time.  I personally think there will be no trouble getting cabins, at the last minute, once ships are cruising again.  I have always done it, in the past. 

I see Carnival cruises have a 72 hour sale on at the moment for cruises ex Australia for departures through to June 2022. The t&cs are pretty tough ie full payment now, non refundable, room allocation 30 days prior to travel. That's a no from me no matter how good a deal they may be, COVID-19 aside I just can't pay out money that far in advance others may feel differently though.

Are you sure this deal is only for 72 hours? Because I have seen these low prices for ex Australia departures for many days now. 

The NON REFUNDABLE deposit is approximately 41 to 46% of the total fare including port fees and taxes.

The fare code is "KSV."

is this the same as "early saver fare" ?

Because I read that in case of an "early saver fare", if you cancel any time from the date of booking upto 91 days before sailing, you will get a cruise credit of the deposit amount less $50 processing fee per person ($100 per cabin deducted from the future cruise credit)

This future Cruise credit is non refundable and non transferable.

So, no cash refund under any circumstances. Also $100 penalty.

So if your deposit is $500 and you cancel anytime after booking up to 91 days before sailing, they will give you a future cruise credit certificate of just $400 after deducting $100 penalty.

is this true?

The fare code is KSV for ex Australia departures. Is this the same as the early saver fare?

4 hours ago, drsel said:

Are you sure this deal is only for 72 hours? Because I have seen these low prices for ex Australia departures for many days now. 

The NON REFUNDABLE deposit is approximately 41 to 46% of the total fare including port fees and taxes.

The fare code is "KSV."

is this the same as "early saver fare" ?

Because I read that in case of an "early saver fare", if you cancel any time from the date of booking upto 91 days before sailing, you will get a cruise credit of the deposit amount less $50 processing fee per person ($100 per cabin deducted from the future cruise credit)

This future Cruise credit is non refundable and non transferable.

So, no cash refund under any circumstances. Also $100 penalty.

So if your deposit is $500 and you cancel anytime after booking up to 91 days before sailing, they will give you a future cruise credit certificate of just $400 after deducting $100 penalty.

is this true?

The fare code is KSV for ex Australia departures. Is this the same as the early saver fare?

There appears to be several sales running at the same time - I took this screenshot just now. Maybe it depends on what cruise you choose as it says selected cruises.

image.thumb.png.50b79502934a3117a6e6d47546514489.png

There appears to be several sales running at the same time - I took this screenshot just now. Maybe it depends on what cruise you choose as it says selected cruises.
image.thumb.png.50b79502934a3117a6e6d47546514489.png

The information I quoted is from their main website www.carnival.com
The NON refundable deposit is 41-46% of the total fare

I know some online TA's are trying to tempt cruise bookings with $1 deposit. However, read the fine print carefully as it might say full payment made 6 months prior to cruise date.

I;m not booking nothing until there is a much clearer picture. At the moment they just trying to raise revenue off you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, icat2000 said:

I know some online TA's are trying to tempt cruise bookings with $1 deposit. However, read the fine print carefully as it might say full payment made 6 months prior to cruise date.

I;m not booking nothing until there is a much clearer picture. At the moment they just trying to raise revenue off you.

But that's really not so bad.

If you're not satisfied with the situation 6 months out, just walk away from your $1 deposit. You haven't really lost anything so that's not really a reason to not book a $1 deposit.

8 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

But that's really not so bad.

If you're not satisfied with the situation 6 months out, just walk away from your $1 deposit. You haven't really lost anything so that's not really a reason to not book a $1 deposit.

Good point. 

I would like to book Carnival and Princess with a $1 deposit.
How do I find out where to get these $1 bookings?

1 minute ago, drsel said:

I got an email from one of the TA's a couple of days ago. I deleted it.

4 minutes ago, drsel said:

I am not too sure if those cruise lines are offering the $1 deposit. P&O definitely are......have a look on that Guru of a website. 

I am not too sure if those cruise lines are offering the $1 deposit. P&O definitely are......have a look on that Guru of a website. 
But the $1 deposits on the PO official website are on Cruises which are fully priced.
while with the US online travel agents, you get a huge discount

I searched on Google and I couldn't find any one offering $1 deposits on Carnival and Princess cruises.
can you help us out please?

1 minute ago, drsel said:

I searched on Google and I couldn't find any one offering $1 deposits on Carnival and Princess cruises.
can you help us out please?

I got sent an email about it. I don't have that email now. Sorry can't help further.

• 1 month later...

On another thread, someone said that
During the Great depression of 2008, Princess had offered Cruises at a $0 basic fare.
you only had to pay the port fees and taxes
Is this true?

does anyone remember how low the cruise fares had gone during 9/11 and the global financial crisis of 2008

2 hours ago, drsel said:

During the Great depression of 2008, Princess had offered Cruises at a $0 basic fare.
Is this true?

does anyone remember how low the cruise fares had gone during 9/11 and the global financial crisis of 2008

I must have been on another planet as I don't remember a Great Depression in 2008.

$0 basic fare might have been the case in some markets (USA), but definitely not here in Australia.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drsel said:

Is this true?

The Global Financial Crisis of 2008 hit USA much harder than it hit Australia. There could have been deals where the passenger paid only port fees and taxes in USA, but I don't believe these were offered in Aust. When cruising is permitted to re-start, I don't believe fares that low will be on offer. It would be better for the cruiseline to leave their ships in hibernation.

7 hours ago, drsel said:

Is this true?

Untrue as a general statement. 

There may have been some one-off special offer especially say a month out from sailing to fill remaining spaces, but it wasn't the norm or anything that went on for a while as standard.

that poster clarified that the Princess terms were --

if you paid in full for one Cruise, you would get a free Cruise certificate of the same value for another Cruise

This was during the global financial crisis 2008

3 hours ago, drsel said:

that poster clarified that the Princess terms were --

if you paid in full for one Cruise, you would get a free Cruise certificate of the same value for another Cruise

This was during the global financial crisis 2008

I wonder if the deal stipulated that you had to pay brochure price for the cruise, then get a second 'free' cruise. That isn't as good as a lot of deals where the prices are slashed and you don't have your money tied up for a future cruise.

Quite a different thing.

Makes sense though, as there were many cancellations. I doubt it was about brochure price as that would be new bookings, but more just to get people to pay at final payment, so at existing pricing.

Given the number of cancellations and so reduced prices, I can't imagine a separate deal to pay 2+X that and get another cruise credit would get many takers. And they did have to reduce prices due to cancellations being made.

• 3 months later...