Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

On 5/17/2019 at 2:43 AM, FLSpaGuy said:

When are your next cruises? Would love to cruise when others that love the steam and sauna are as well.

My email is in my signature if you want to drop me a line and I'll share upcoming cruises.

I also have a group elsewhere, just a few of us who chat, invite only etc.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, OntarioBiMe said:

My email is in my signature if you want to drop me a line and I'll share upcoming cruises.

I also have a group elsewhere, just a few of us who chat, invite only etc.

I am blocked from seeing your signature. 😞 Please e-mail me at my user name at gmail . No idea why I’m not able to message anyone.

On 3/29/2019 at 2:17 PM, Cruiser Bruiser said:

I haven't sailed on Grand for awhile, but it has the typical Princess Grand-class locker room/steam room/sauna set up that is on all Grand-class ships (i.e. men on starboard side; women on port side) Towels, showers and wash basins are available, and there is no charge for any of the above. Just ask for a locker key at the spa reception desk, and the locker room entrance is just around the corner. Enjoy.

Actually, Grand Princess is slightly different that others of her class.  The doors to the single sex sauna/steam are in  public areas by the pool, one at each of the corners of the pool.  The signs designating MEN or WOMAN are often overlooked meaning people have barged into the wrong one.

This was as of my May 2017 cruise to Alaska.  So the location means bundling up to go from the locker room, outside in the elements by the outdoor pool, to gain entrance.

So it's quite different from Crown, Emerald, Ruby, and Caribbean Princess.

@cruisestud I did a cruise on the Conquest last August. Very large sauna and steam overlooking the sea. 
Busy by the moment, morning around 7:00 to 9:00 and end of the day around 4:00. 
Sometimes also in the evening. We have them nice discussions.
We look to redo a cruise in the Conquest class soon

40 minutes ago, mojitos24 said:

@cruisestud I did a cruise on the Conquest last August. Very large sauna and steam overlooking the sea. 
Busy by the moment, morning around 7:00 to 9:00 and end of the day around 4:00. 
Sometimes also in the evening. We have them nice discussions.
We look to redo a cruise in the Conquest class soon

thank you. I will remember that.  What time of day did you find was the busiest and had the most amount of guys visiting?   I'm looking to have some decent interactions with guys and have some very enlightning conversation

1 hour ago, Repositioner said:

Does anyone have recent experience with the Celebrity Equinox, Infinity, or Summit?  

Thanks in advance for any current info you can share!

Both Summit and Infinity are M class ships and are scheduled for major drydocks with similar reworks. Summit happened in March, Infinity is scheduled for November. Check out Mikeedm's post #770 and my post #766 of pictures of the reworked  Millennium, also an M class ship. Unfortunately they have taken away what was a great free large sauna with views to the ocean, and replaced it with a free sauna that holds about 4 people with no view. Definitely not an upgrade! The Equinox is scheduled for drydock in June. It is an S class ship, and no change in the sauna situation is expected. It has a medium sized free sauna connected to the locker room with three large showers. Thank goodness they're not touching that sauna. It is quite busy in the afternoon. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, twodjs said:

Both Summit and Infinity are M class ships and are scheduled for major drydocks with similar reworks. Summit happened in March, Infinity is scheduled for November. Check out Mikeedm's post #770 and my post #766 of pictures of the reworked  Millennium, also an M class ship. Unfortunately they have taken away what was a great free large sauna with views to the ocean, and replaced it with a free sauna that holds about 4 people with no view. Definitely not an upgrade! The Equinox is scheduled for drydock in June. It is an S class ship, and no change in the sauna situation is expected. It has a medium sized free sauna connected to the locker room with three large showers. Thank goodness they're not touching that sauna. It is quite busy in the afternoon. Hope this helps.

Yes, the last time I was on the Summit the sauna was quite busy...being as it was the only option of sweat relaxation.  The only thing I didn't like was that there was a huge window (behind where you sat) looking in from the locker room.  It allowed no privacy at all, especially when you are engaged in deep conversation.  Hopefully that flaw gets changed in the redesign.

I will say, though, that the little locker room attendant who worked on the ship was very "attentive" to me.  We had extensive and amazing conversations everytime I visited.  He was very interested in me, and found a way to engage in conversation with me, even when others were around!  I always love those personal connections with crew members.

• Like 1

Has anyone noticed if the Mariner of the Seas locker room sauna and steam has gone the way of Navigator of the Seas? I noticed on VTO that it was last refurbished in 2018. One of my frustrations with internet information that it is not always clear the dates when sites provide the  information and since free s/s offerings are  becoming downgraded or disappearing altogether, I'm hesitant to commit before being certain.   

Edited by ouse456
vvv

4 hours ago, ouse456 said:

Has anyone noticed if the Mariner of the Seas locker room sauna and steam has gone the way of Navigator of the Seas? I noticed on VTO that it was last refurbished in 2018. One of my frustrations with internet information that it is not always clear the dates when sites provide the  information and since free s/s offerings are  becoming downgraded or disappearing altogether, I'm hesitant to commit before being certain.   

According to the Royal Caribbean web site floor plan they have not moved the gym on the Mariner. There did move it on the Navigator. 

On 6/9/2019 at 10:27 PM, tonygcharles said:

Hi 

I've got a few cruises booked over the next year and if anyone could tell me if the sauna / steamroom are free etc would be great

Rc Jewel OTS

Rc Explorer OTS 

NCL Dawn

Thank u 😀

Regarding Jewel, you can refer to the spreadsheet found elsewhere on this board regarding free sauna/steam facilities.

For Explorer, it may depend on when your sailing is. Explorer is going in for a refurbishment in early 2020, and it is yet unknown whether they will be leaving the current complimentary (and excellent) facilities as they are, or if they will be ripping them out and not replacing them with anything comparable, as they have done with Navigator, a sister ship to Explorer.

I've been trolling the internet for current info about free s/steam on Empress of the Seas. It is not on the list compiled on another CCritic forum. Can't tell by the deck plans. Has anyone cruised on her lately?

2 hours ago, ouse456 said:

I've been trolling the internet for current info about free s/steam on Empress of the Seas. It is not on the list compiled on another CCritic forum. Can't tell by the deck plans. Has anyone cruised on her lately?

I recall seeing reported elsewhere that she does not have steam room or sauna facilities.

3 hours ago, CntPAcruiser said:

Regarding Jewel, you can refer to the spreadsheet found elsewhere on this board regarding free sauna/steam facilities.

For Explorer, it may depend on when your sailing is. Explorer is going in for a refurbishment in early 2020, and it is yet unknown whether they will be leaving the current complimentary (and excellent) facilities as they are, or if they will be ripping them out and not replacing them with anything comparable, as they have done with Navigator, a sister ship to Explorer.

Thanks for info

I'm going on Explorer July August 2020  b2b 

Sounds like after refurbishment 

Will update after the cruise 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tonygcharles said:

Thanks for info

I'm going on Explorer July August 2020  b2b 

Sounds like after refurbishment 

Will update after the cruise 

On the RCCL website you can see the deck plan for explorer from May 2020 to April 2021.  That deck plan shows the gym in the same place it is now. Bases on that I don't expect changes like we see in the Navigator. 

8 hours ago, willcan said:

On the RCCL website you can see the deck plan for explorer from May 2020 to April 2021.  That deck plan shows the gym in the same place it is now. Bases on that I don't expect changes like we see in the Navigator. 

Thanks  for looking , I had a look too and thought the same , can't see any difference in the layout 

So all looks good 

On 6/16/2019 at 2:57 PM, willcan said:

On the RCCL website you can see the deck plan for explorer from May 2020 to April 2021.  That deck plan shows the gym in the same place it is now. Based on that I don't expect changes like we see in the Navigator. 

Unfortunately, the deck plans don't seem to get updated until after they have done something, many times, so they can't necessarily be counted on to be accurate as to future actual facilities on board a particular ship. That said, I hope you are right and that they will not be destroying Explorer's nice locker room and fitness center facilities.

21 hours ago, CntPAcruiser said:

Unfortunately, the deck plans don't seem to get updated until after they have done something, many times, so they can't necessarily be counted on to be accurate as to future actual facilities on board a particular ship. That said, I hope you are right and that they will not be destroying Explorer's nice locker room and fitness center facilities.

Oh no I never thought about that. I hope that's not the case. If they redo all the older ships  with these so called "improvements" like they did the Navigator I'll have to fine a new cruise line or some land based spas. 

On 6/19/2019 at 1:02 PM, willcan said:

Oh no I never thought about that. I hope that's not the case. If they redo all the older ships  with these so called "improvements" like they did the Navigator I'll have to fine a new cruise line or some land based spas. 

So true! When Oasis came out, we booked before accurate information was available about the locker rooms and steam/sauna facilities, and were disappointed to find out there were only paid (and not that great of) facilities. Since that trend continued for new builds, we avoided them for the most part and were happy to stick with earlier ships that had these available. Now that they are removing excellent facilities that were formerly complimentary amenities for all guests even on the older ships in favor of more and more revenue, we will eventually also be reevaluating our future cruise plans as we run out of the ships we like.

Edited by CntPAcruiser
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I meant to mention this to the group when I returned from my last cruise on the Nieuw Statendam, but there is a Free sauna in the spa area. It is mixed sexes, but has a phenomenal view with a full floor to ceiling glass window.

To access it, on Deck 9, enter the spa area OPPOSITE the check in desk by the forward stair case, it is located to the RIGHT of the entrance to the pay to use Thermal Suite. There is an open shower area and it is behind two solid HEAVY doors that have power open and close switches. The sauna has a clear glass door but frosted sides where the benches are located. This would probably fit 4 to 6 people since it is narrow, 8 if you pack in like sardines. There are two sets of benches facing each other with the floor to ceiling windows on your side. I am sure the layout would be beneficial to starting conversations.  I am not sure if it is this way on the Koningsdam, but I would assume since they are similar, it could be.

I didn't see this listed on any deck maps and found it quite by accident when entering the Thermal Suite. Actually I got locked inside the vestibule between the two heavy doors and it took me a while to figure out how to open the doors with the switches since they weren't marked. It was really lovely once I found it and liked it better than the pay to use sauna in the Thermal Suite, which has no windows and is much smaller.   

If only they provided a nice free to use sauna in the changing room, like on other ships, but the changing areas just have two showers and an open locker room with attached restroom.

On 6/19/2019 at 1:02 PM, willcan said:

some land based spas. 

Since you are in the DC area, you should check out the spa at the Salamander in Middleburg, VA. It is the best single sex thermal area I have ever experienced on land. Extra large whirlpool, two hot stone beds, large steam room with chromotherapy and an experience shower. They give you nice fluffy robes to use while you are in there, but a towel or less is mostly what I wear there.

I hear the women's side is similar, but has a larger stone bed area and relaxation room. I HIGHLY recommend it. Book a treatment there and the thermal area is free to use. 

Back to our cruise related topic.......

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, GaryR6273 said:

Since you are in the DC area, you should check out the spa at the Salamander in Middleburg, VA. It is the best single sex thermal area I have ever experienced on land. Extra large whirlpool, two hot stone beds, large steam room with chromotherapy and an experience shower. They give you nice fluffy robes to use while you are in there, but a towel or less is mostly what I wear there.

Thanks for the information.  I sometimes go to SpaWorld as well.  At Salamander, do you know if they offer a day pass, or if you have to be a guest (or book an appt to use the spa)?