Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

On 4/6/2019 at 10:43 PM, willcan said:

Does anyone have any information on Norwegian ships? I'm looking for a ship with a free single sex sauna and steam room possibly off the gym.  Also wonder if any are open 24/7. 

NCL jewel class ships have free steam room in mens locker room. The spa has a great mens only area with sauna  Steam and jacuzzi. This is a fee paying area but well worth it.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, alexdw said:

NCL jewel class ships have free steam room in mens locker room. The spa has a great mens only area with sauna  Steam and jacuzzi. This is a fee paying area but well worth it.

Thank you for the information. Have you had some good conversation in both the free and paid stream rooms?  Do you have any idea what the price is for a week's pass in the paid area? 

On 10/25/2019 at 9:50 PM, mulu73 said:

Anyone have details of the sauna/steam on the “amplified” Voyager/Freedom Class ships that have had the spa/fitness centre relocated to the back of deck 12?

The one we know the details of is Navigator of the Seas. In addition to being moved and greatly shrunk in size, the fitness center now has no locker rooms at all, just restrooms and a locker area. There are no free saunas/steam rooms on Navigator, though apparently there is a small sauna or steam room in the spa for paying spa guests only. They did not put in a thermal suite. Welcome to the "crap-lified" Navigator.

Edited by CntPAcruiser
  • Thanks 1

On 10/27/2019 at 9:09 PM, CntPAcruiser said:

The one we know the details of is Navigator of the Seas. In addition to being moved and greatly shrunk in size, the fitness center now has no locker rooms at all, just restrooms and a locker area. There are no free saunas/steam rooms on Navigator, though apparently there is a small sauna or steam room in the spa for paying spa guests only. They did not put in a thermal suite. Welcome to the "crap-lified" Navigator.

That is a shame, I will not cruise on any ship that doesn't have a make only sauna,steam or spa Facility.

• 2 weeks later...

Going on the Princess Crown on the 27 NOV  , I see they have steam and sauna which I’m looking forward to using the steam room . Has anyone been on the Crown lately and is it big or small ? Kind of hard  to tell by the deck pictures of the locker area . The showers in the balcony rooms I’ve read that if your taller than 5’6” the shower heads gonna hit you in the chest . I’m 6’ 5” , 
Thinking while the wife gets ready I’ll be in the steam and showers . 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pkhilberling said:

Going on the Princess Crown on the 27 NOV  , I see they have steam and sauna which I’m looking forward to using the steam room . Has anyone been on the Crown lately and is it big or small ? Kind of hard  to tell by the deck pictures of the locker area . The showers in the balcony rooms I’ve read that if your taller than 5’6” the shower heads gonna hit you in the chest . I’m 6’ 5” , 
Thinking while the wife gets ready I’ll be in the steam and showers . 

Yes, the Crown has the same excellent arrangement as the Star, Sapphire, Emerald, Caribbean, and Ruby ships.  The entry area contains lockers, benches, and access to toilets.  Through a doorway, you will find three full-size showers with glass doors, a shaving sink, water fountain, sauna and steam.  The area can be easily accessed from the adult pool or the gym.  

I will be sailing solo on the Adventure of the Seas on 12/15/19. I enjoy relaxing in the sauna and steam rooms and meeting other like-minded men for nice conversations. Are the sauna and steam rooms still free and located in the men only locker room? Thank you all!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruzguy said:

I will be sailing solo on the Adventure of the Seas on 12/15/19. I enjoy relaxing in the sauna and steam rooms and meeting other like-minded men for nice conversations. Are the sauna and steam rooms still free and located in the men only locker room? Thank you all!

Yes, for now, Adventure still has the nice locker rooms with complimentary steam and sauna. Navigator has had these removed, and Explorer is apparently next, as well as Freedom of the Seas, from the layout of the new, post-"amplification" deck plans.

• Thanks 1

I did a ship inspection of the Nieuw Statendam today (I work in the travel industry).  There is a medium sized locker room with a bathroom and sinks.  There is a sauna and two showers.  Surprisingly, there are no doors on the shower stalls.  In the paid spa area, there is a men's and women's sauna that looks out to the sea.  Not sure if you have to wear a bathing suit there.

Was on the sister ship Konnigsdam earlier this year, same sauna set up which is not that easy to find as it is not in the changing room but through a door close to theentrance to the paid spa area. The sauna and steam in the paid area requires bathing suits. The single sex one does not require bathing suitas and when i was on the ship most men went naked.

• Thanks 1

On 4/7/2019 at 12:16 AM, RydingWaves said:

Hi, just of the NCL Jade, April 1st.  On the Jewel Class ships (Jewel, Jade, Gem and Pearl) they have a sauna in the men's room of the Gym.  The thermal suite which was $219 for 10 days was single sex with all the works.  But they have changed the rules to state that a swim suit is required at all times.  These notices are posted on all doors and walls and entrances to the sauna and steam room too.  Everyone followed this except for me and another passenger.  

Unfortunately there were no detailed conversations in the steam room or sauna because of this rule.  Plus I never saw more than 8 other people use the spa.  I mean to say that I saw the same 8 people over the 10 day cruise, usually one or two in the spa at a time.  I have decided that I will not pay for a thermal spa on any future cruises as the single sex thermal spas are being phased out.

One other note:  on the Jade, they are remodeling the spa to match the other ships in the class in November of 2020.  The Jewel is being remodeled in September of 2020.  They are removing the whirlpool in the single sex sides and replacing them with individual tub style hot tubs.

I was on the Jade this April, probably one of the naked guys. The sign that says swimsuit required is on the door that leads to the coed area and that is what it refers to, not the single sex area, that is clothing optional.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, phoenix8 said:

After 36 pages and years of reviews... What is everyone's go to cruise line?  Making plans for next year and need a solid "go to" single sex/ no pay option.  Is it still Royal?  

It's not solid any longer—all of the Royal ships built starting with Oasis and later only have paid areas, and recently they have started "amping" older ships that used to have excellent complimentary facilities and destroying them in favor of adding more cabins. So far this is confirmed on Navigator, and they didn't even put in a thermal suite to replace the lost steam/sauna facilities. It's expected to be the same for Explorer in 2020, and eventually Freedom, but it's not clear what Freedom will be like or if there will be a thermal suite after the reno. 

The upshot is you have to know which Royal ship you want to go on to get the complimentary facilities yet, and the number of those is shrinking. It is really a dirty shame that they are wrecking the Voyager- and Freedom-class ships one after the other. With smaller fitness center facilities and no locker rooms or steam/sauna facilities, and a higher passenger count because of the new cabins, we will definitely be avoiding these ships in the future. Since my other half doesn't like most of the smaller Royal ships, eventually we won't have many options with Royal at all and will find someone else to cruise with.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/14/2019 at 8:25 AM, twodjs said:

I was on Edge back in April. There is NO single-sex sauna or steamroom on Edge. First Celebrity ship to not have one. VERY disappointed! ALL of the Spa spaces are co-ed with bathing suits required. Sorry! 

Thanks for the clarification and detailed info, twodjs. Disappointing RCCL (owner of Celebrity & Royal Caribbean) continues to remove these spaces from their existing ships as they refurbish and new-builds.

On 6/16/2019 at 8:50 PM, tonygcharles said:

Thanks  for looking , I had a look too and thought the same , can't see any difference in the layout 

So all looks good 

Fingers-crossed the steam and sauna on the EX remain the same after the refurb. Please DO let us know what you find, tonygcharles. 😉