Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

Hi 

i just glanced back the last few pages but still not sure where things stand. Can someone update me on RC. Are explorer and Indy the only ones from those classes that still have the original steam sauna layout? If there are others are they schedule for dry dock this year for the refit ? Thanks in advance 

14 minutes ago, steve3008 said:

Hi 

i just glanced back the last few pages but still not sure where things stand. Can someone update me on RC. Are explorer and Indy the only ones from those classes that still have the original steam sauna layout? If there are others are they schedule for dry dock this year for the refit ? Thanks in advance 

Hi

Can only speak from my own experience from  recent sailing and reading about refits

Explorer will be losing hers in the refit in the next few week , unless they move it , im on her in July so will update then

The below ships still have there sauna steam room on recent sailing on RC 

Indy  

Freedom 

Rhapsody 

Adventure 

Brilliance 

Jewel 

Vision

Radiance 

Hope this helps 

5 hours ago, steve3008 said:

Hi 

Independence still has it, so does Adventure and Mariner.  Explorer has it now but will be gone in a month. Mariner was the last ship to be amped and still have it. It's a good bet that any ship heading into retrofit will lose it in the future. 

On 2/4/2020 at 5:29 PM, mulu73 said:

does Carnival Splendor still have single sex sauna/steam?

I cruised on the Splendor recently. There was a single sex sauna (no steam other than a steam setting in each of  the two shower cubicles) in the men's gym locker room. I'm not sure about the women's locker room.

I'll be taking a transatlantic cruise on the Celebrity Reflection in April.  I'm aware of the facilities, but curious around what time of day guys typically visit the sauna, especially on sea days.  I enjoy a good sweat in the sauna after my workout or just to relax and get away.  On previous cruises, it always seems as though I'm there by myself.  While alone time is good, I often prefer the company of others.  Is there a peak time?  

Edited by DisneyJim

I am on a 9 night cruise, June 15th, and I workout 3x a day, cardio/30 min weight lifting, then steam or sauna around 7/8, 12 noon after lifting like 45 min, then cardio and steam or sauna around 5/6.  I also love a swim before bed, On RCCL some times one pool is open late, on Carnival I am not sure. 

Mitch

If you look back at Twodjs post #766 from February 17, 2019 you will see the pictures of what the Celebrity Millennium looks like.  The remodel of the Summit is supposed to me the same.  I am going  in October, and I hope it will still have the free sauna, no matter how small it is.  Sometimes when it is smaller you get crammed together for better conversations!

P&O Ventura
4 night cruise to Zebrugge/Bruges Feb 7 2020

I pleased to say that the facilities on Ventura remain the same as on my previous sailings. It comprises of a good sized male only steam & sauna set up that can be found in the gym locker room. I was on board for four nights during which Storm Ciara raged! The users of the facility were not the usual bunch that you would find on a cruise, many seemed unsure how to use a sauna/steam & I only saw one other person use the sauna wearing a towel/nude (one guy used the steam in full gym kit)  most men kept their shorts firmly on & even changed using towels which I find hilarious.  The usual banter between guys in the sauna was sadly lacking as most sat in silence or only wanted to discuss how much alcohol they has consumed or hoiw late they had laid in bed!  Sauna & steam were both up to temperature, but the showers only pumped out VERY hot water so it was impossible to to cool down between sessions, towels though were plentiful. Lockers are available upon surrender of your cruise card - I never used one & just hung my clothes on a hook. 

1 hour ago, billybeachboy said:

P&O Ventura
4 night cruise to Zebrugge/Bruges Feb 7 2020

...many seemed unsure how to use a sauna/steam & I only saw one other person use the sauna wearing a towel/nude (one guy used the steam in full gym kit)  most men kept their shorts firmly on & even changed using towels which I find hilarious.

Yes I always find it absurd (and downright rude/inconsiderate when guys where clothes and sneakers inside the spa areas.  Their true purpose and origin of the steam room and sauna was to use it nude & to clear out all of your impurities and toxins. It's a place of relaxation, and cleanliness and Purity. Wearing your clothes and shoes inside the steam room brings in all the environmental impurities and dirt, and causes unnecessary mud on the floor and benches.  This is a place where people may have their bare skin exposed.

And yes I find it utterly ridiculous to see guys put on a big show, as they use their towels and struggling to wiggle out of their underwear beneath the towel. (don't they know that commotion causes a bigger scene than just getting nude for all of 3 seconds while they switch attire!?!)  So immature and silly.  Hell, with all of that effort and wiggling and stuff, they can skip their real aerobic workout.  Lol

• Haha 1

Sorry to hear showers are still scaldingly hot. They were like that in November (and possibly before that). Many reported the issue which is a safety one as much as anything. 

Regarding shoes in the sauna/steam room there is a clear notice saying outside shoes must not be worn in the room where the sauna/steam room and showers are located.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just booked an October cruise on the Norwegian Gem, with my son, who is very bummed about us having to cancel our June cruise. Does anyone know anything about the gym or the spa area? Separate or coed steam sauna , size ? My travel agent is great but had no idea when I asked her these questions. 

Thank you, 

Mitch 

Edited by MitchYngMuscleDad

16 hours ago, MitchYngMuscleDad said:

I just booked an October cruise on the Norwegian Gem, with my son, who is very bummed about us having to cancel our June cruise. Does anyone know anything about the gym or the spa area? Separate or coed steam sauna , size ? My travel agent is great but had no idea when I asked her these questions. 

Thank you, 

Mitch 

The paid spa area has a great men only area with  a sauna with panoramic windows, a steam room and hot tub. There is a small free steam room in the gym locker room.