Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

19 hours ago, alexdw said:

The paid spa area has a great men only area with  a sauna with panoramic windows, a steam room and hot tub. There is a small free steam room in the gym locker room. 

What the etiquette/dress for the hot tub?

Do guys wears trunks, or do they usually go in hot tub nude (like one would use the steam/sauna)?

1 hour ago, Cruise Stud said:

What the etiquette/dress for the hot tub?

Do guys wears trunks, or do they usually go in hot tub nude (like one would use the steam/sauna)?

Depends on the nationality, I go naked. I sometimes find that people see what others do and then follow suit.

39 minutes ago, MitchYngMuscleDad said:

If there is a hot tub in the mens wet area at any gym I have been too, most men are nude, but I guess its a personal choice. I think most men would agree its more relaxing nude. 

On 3/21/2020 at 7:46 AM, alexdw said:

Depends on the nationality, I go naked. I sometimes find that people see what others do and then follow suit.

Sounds good and I agree.

Do you guys experience the same types of good conversations in the hot tub as you do in the steam/sauna...or do you find it harder to have conversations in there?

Well that is the thing I find usually the conversation is great, maybe its the fact that everything is on display there are no barriers? Or guys being guys just relax and talk about whatever is on their minds. Anytime you have any questions on my past cruises or some funny conversations I have had.

Feel free to email, being stuck inside since the virus is making me reach out to anyone for a good conversation! 

collingreene1@outlook.com

On 3/25/2020 at 9:47 PM, mjs99mjs said:

Damn, my May 3rd cruise on the Emerald Princess is of course canceled . Have to wait till September 27th to check out that spa. 

Sorry error post

Edited by iramack
Error in subject

• 2 weeks later...

We left Jan 5th on our 77-day South America and Antarctic voyage, and all things looked well. Somewhere along the way, the world became infected and we were in a pandemic.  I congratulate Holland America (ms Volendam) for taking immediate action in sanitizing and taking precautions against infection.  We remained virus-free for our return to Ft. Lauderdale.  Regarding the Spa area on the ship, the men's sauna (no steam) is still active and was quite social until the buzz about coronavirus caused me to discontinue my twice-daily visits to gym and sauna.  Discreet visits were difficult when social distancing required a six-foot distance between bodies.  Who knows what the future will hold for us in our quest for a relaxing sauna on the high seas?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2020 at 5:02 PM, TRAVELogists said:

We left Jan 5th on our 77-day South America and Antarctic voyage, and all things looked well. Somewhere along the way, the world became infected and we were in a pandemic.  I congratulate Holland America (ms Volendam) for taking immediate action in sanitizing and taking precautions against infection.  We remained virus-free for our return to Ft. Lauderdale.  Regarding the Spa area on the ship, the men's sauna (no steam) is still active and was quite social until the buzz about coronavirus caused me to discontinue my twice-daily visits to gym and sauna.  Discreet visits were difficult when social distancing required a six-foot distance between bodies.  Who knows what the future will hold for us in our quest for a relaxing sauna on the high seas?

I'd love to hear more about the experience of  such a long cruise even if it was cut short.  It is on my bucket list for sure.

I am in a small, invitation only group who like to chat about past cruises, spa visits etc.  If interested send me an email.  tugger99 at live dot com  (or look at my signature)

• Like 2

On 3/20/2020 at 10:53 AM, alexdw said:

The paid spa area has a great men only area with  a sauna with panoramic windows, a steam room and hot tub. There is a small free steam room in the gym locker room. 

Sounds nice. How long ago were you on the Gem? I'm wondering if it wasn't "upgraded" or not? Hoping men's area is still there?

6 hours ago, OntarioBiMe said:

I'd love to hear more about the experience of  such a long cruise even if it was cut short.  It is on my bucket list for sure.

I am in a small, invitation only group who like to chat about past cruises, spa visits etc.  If interested send me an email.  tugger99 at live dot com  (or look at my signature)

Will email you...

22 hours ago, spaBme said:

Sounds nice. How long ago were you on the Gem? I'm wondering if it wasn't "upgraded" or not? Hoping men's area is still there?

As of November 2019 the NCL Gem still had huge sauna, small steamroom, single person whirlpool n the mens only portion of the spa.  There are also 2 or 3 glass doored showers, a larger curtained accessible shower as well as a wide open, single cool down shower in the center of the room.  This is already a "for fee" area so I can't imagine them getting rid of it unless they decided to renovate and go full co-ed.

The free steam room in the gym locker room was still there as well as the glass doored shower right outside of the steamroom.

23 hours ago, alexdw said:

Was on it this time last year. I did hear that the Pearl which os also Jewel class had its mens 5 man whirlpool retaken out and single use tons put in but may be mistaken. 

You are correct, sadly, the Pearl's community whirlpool is gone, but the other amenities remain.

Just now, alexdw said:

I miss quoted, I was on the Jade last year not Gem. It looks like Gem and Jewell have 5an hot tubes and the Gem and Pearl have had theirs replaced with one man tubs. It is a shame bu

Saw a post that the

17 minutes ago, alexdw said:

I miss quoted, I was on the Jade last year not Gem. It looks like Gem and Jewell have 5an hot tubes and the Gem and Pearl have had theirs replaced with one man tubs. 

Well, just to be clear; none of the four (NCL Jewel, Gem, Jade, Pearl) has a mens community whirlpool.  The Pearl once did, but it was removed.  That having been said, the elaborate facilities on these ships remain the best of their kind.  NCL's regrettable practice of charging $20 - $30 a day for thermal passes discourages many passengers from ever using them.  

6 hours ago, Repositioner said:

Well, just to be clear; none of the four (NCL Jewel, Gem, Jade, Pearl) has a mens community whirlpool.  The Pearl once did, but it was removed.  That having been said, the elaborate facilities on these ships remain the best of their kind.  NCL's regrettable practice of charging $20 - $30 a day for thermal passes discourages many passengers from ever using them.  

Thanks for the explanation. Now I understand the amenities on each ship.  I don't understand why they charge such a high daily fee. If the fee was lower, say $10, they would probably get a lot more users and bring in more total revenue for the ship. Of course free would be better for us but we all know that's not happening.  

17 hours ago, Repositioner said:

17 hours ago, Repositioner said:

The pool I am talking about is in the mens fee paying spa area of the Jade and it was there last May. By Community pool did you mean one which was free to use?