Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

On Holland America, the newest ships are the Pinnacle-class. The Koningsdam and the Nieuw Statendam both have the great floor-to-ceiling, ocean facing windows. The third ship, the Rotterdam should be the same design - but the first sailing isn't until August, 2021. Keep in mind that this single sex free sauna is open to all, but is never promoted. In fact the large door to the sauna is always closed during spa tours the first day, as they are promoting the paid spa features. It is down the hall and around the corner from the lockers. Worth the search! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twodjs said:

On Holland America, the newest ships are the Pinnacle-class. The Koningsdam and the Nieuw Statendam both have the great floor-to-ceiling, ocean facing windows. The third ship, the Rotterdam should be the same design - but the first sailing isn't until August, 2021. Keep in mind that this single sex free sauna is open to all, but is never promoted. In fact the large door to the sauna is always closed during spa tours the first day, as they are promoting the paid spa features. It is down the hall and around the corner from the lockers. Worth the search! 

I heard about the sauna on the konkoningsdam  via a post on this site. The door was closed the day of embarkation but open when we set sail.

7 minutes ago, alexdw said:

I heard about the sauna on the konkoningsdam  via a post on this site. The door was closed the day of embarkation but open when we set sail.

Good to know...Sail away - then the sauna - what a perfect way to start a cruise!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2020 at 6:41 AM, Cruise Stud said:
On 6/20/2020 at 3:01 PM, Wilkinson1 said:

Hi don’t really want to put that out on here for privacy !

Understood.  I have tons of insight for you.

Thanks.  Could you also message gmail mikeharp2021 ?

• I have to agree that the sauna on the Koningsdam is terrific. Not much excitement but it has a huge window looking out to the sea. Although the sauna that you were packed in like very happy sardines sounds like fun.

3 hours ago, Edhug55 said:
  • I have to agree that the sauna on the Koningsdam is terrific. Not much excitement but it has a huge window looking out to the sea. Although the sauna that you were packed in like very happy sardines sounds like fun.

Is this off of the mens locker room? I mean do you have to change into a suit then strip in the sauna? Or do you just wear a towel going from the locker room to the sauna?

Happy to chat anytime, Mark

marknewsen1@gmail.com

Small00.26.04.jpg

3 hours ago, RD64 said:

Is the location on the Koningsdam the same as the Vista class?

No, completely different. On the port side but much larger, with big floor-to-ceiling windows looking out to the sea, three showers and even a bucket full of cold water mounted on the wall - pull the chain if you dare. Plenty of towels and some hooks for your clothes. Still free, single-sex and a big improvement, in my opinion.

Edited by twodjs
spelling
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, twodjs said:

No, completely different. On the port side but much larger, with big floor-to-ceiling windows looking out to the sea, three showers and even a bucket full of cold water mounted on the wall - pull the chain if you dare. Plenty of towels and some hooks for your clothes. Still free, single-sex and a big improvement, in my opinion.

At least the Pinnacle Class are new builds with good facilities.

32 minutes ago, RD64 said:

I like the windows concept - nice to see the sunset at night, or the sun shining in in the middle of the afternoon.

That was a very pleasant surprise. I am a little late to the party of enjoying a sauna on cruises and up to experiencing the fantastic one on the Koningsdam I believe the only other ship that I tried the sauna was on the Noordam which had a very small one, again down the hall from the changing room. I do like the ones that have the sauna right in the changing room such as the Rotterdam but then you forfeit the window. Sure hope to be able to go on another cruise someday soon.

It is a toss up - window vs no window. The older Carnival ships had / have it right. Big windows and side by side sauna / steam. The Vista class on HAL (including Noordam) seem more of an after thought.

On Princess the Ruby / Crown / Carib have nice spacious sauna / steam facilities, albeit with no windows.

1 hour ago, RD64 said:

Edhug - did you do your Noordam cruise from Australia?

No, that was an Alaska trip from Vancouver. I actually spend most of my time in Fort Lauderdale but thankfully have been here in Australia for the past year. 
  Have you heard whether HAL is going to make vaccines mandatory? I won’t be going on a ship unless everyone is vaccinated. Wanting to do Antarctica early next year.

On 4/26/2021 at 9:56 AM, billybeachboy said:

Are there any guys on this thread that are sailing on the upcoming UK residents only cruises that are starting next month? If so I'd be keen so know if the sauna/steam facilities are open.

I’m booked on the Disney Magic in July! No confirmation of the sauna is open or closed as yet. I’ll let you know the result! 🙂

• Like 1