Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

Hi Waldorf:

Thanks for the clarification and feedback, we really appreciate it. Glad to hear it is one of your favorite set ups.

Now if we can get some family and friends to join us on this cruise.

Hi Waldorf:

Thanks for the clarification and feedback, we really appreciate it. Glad to hear it is one of your favorite set ups.

Now if we can get some family and friends to join us on this cruise.

We are thinking of going but only in August around the Baltic, pity not the same as yours:(

• 3 months later...

Since PAT&PAUL touched on an NCL ship (Pride of America), I'd also like to ask if anyone's sailed the Epic and can provide a detailed description of the men's sauna and steam rooms.

I've scoured the NCL boards for a description, but, as usual, they are sketchy & confusing at-best. What I've pieced together: I believe there is a for-fee/co-ed area with a jacuzzi, balcony and co-ed steam & sauna rooms. However, I'd also like to know if there are complimentary (read: FREE) NON-co-ed sauna or steam rooms in the men's locker room (???).

It appears the layout of the sauna & steam amenities on the Epic differs from the Pearl & Jewel (which I intend to visit someday soon, as they sound GREAT), so it would be nice to understand (clearly) how they are different.

Much obliged in advance,

Gigglewolf O' the Seas

:p

I loved this ship !!!! Unfortunally it was one of my first and i was too shy to go to the spa . But the ship is a little old but that adds to her charm. The staff was great smaller is way better service !!!!!

I toured the Rhapsody of the Seas when she first debuted (way back in the late 90's ;o) and the set-up of the men's locker room was similar to her sister ships: Vision of the Seas and Grandeur of the Seas (Enchantment of the Seas has since had he locker room & sauna/steam facilities revised or removed)...

As I remember (and someone who has sailed Rhapsody more recently can, please, confirm), the men's locker room is situated near the ship's spa area and does provide non-coed steam & sauna rooms and showers.

Now that the Grandeur is based out of Fort Lauderdale, I hope to sail her soon and partake of these nice facilities. I've read that RCI has done a real nice job of maintaining this vessel and, since the ship carries fewer passengers as compared to RCI's larger ships, the overall service experiences is very enjoyable (even without all the "bells & whistles" of the larger ships). You should find the same on the Rhapsody.

Bon voyage,

Gigglewolf O' The Seas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm off on the Infinity in a couple of weeks. The sauna set up seems to be OK, and it looks like they have single sex steam rooms too - overall should be a big improvement on the Solstice. I'll report back with pics when I return.

I am sailing on the Star Princess in February and its a first time I have been on a Princess Ship. I use gym on most cruise ships I have been on and then love to finish off in the sauna/steam. Does anyone know what these facilities are like on Princess Ships and are they single sex etc or shared.

I'm off on the Infinity in a couple of weeks. The sauna set up seems to be OK, and it looks like they have single sex steam rooms too - overall should be a big improvement on the Solstice. I'll report back with pics when I return.

The Infinity does indeed have single sex locker rooms with a very large sauna. The best part is that there are three very large port holes in the sauna that look out on the water; very scenic. There are three showers in the locker room, and another large cool off shower just outside the sauna. To use the facilities, just go to the spa desk and ask for a locker key. They will take your ship key and then give you your ship key back when you return the locker key.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the setup or the Infinity in general. She is a great ship!

Pat

We sailed the Infinity last September to the Panama. No steam rooms in the locker room. I thought the Solstice had a sauna or steam in the men's locker?

Pat is right, the port hole in the men's sauna is wonderful Great to sit back and watch the world go by...

There is also a Persian Garden (fee) sometimes the area is very quiet, and nobody around - so can be a bit more private. Two steam rooms in there, one small with fragrance and the other larger with little benches, more like cubicles.

Pat and Paul you guys look familiar. We're just over the bridge from you and think we have seen you boys on a cruise recently!

Hi guys, some great information on this board. Love using saunas on the cruises, get to meet some great people:)

Going on the Christmas cruise on Emerald and was wondering as to set up of male saunas, etc. Are there separate saunas for male/female, etc. What are they like??

Would really appreciate replies.

I have been on a number of RCCL ships, so if I can answer any questions, please ask.

In response to your inquiry, I'd have the following information to share...

I believe the Emerald Princess is a "sister-ship" to the Crown Princess & Ruby Princess. As such, I further believe the layout of the men's locker room, sauna and steam rooms on these three ships are (generally) similar.

I sailed the Crown Princess last year and found the facilities to be adequate. The sauna and steam rooms are in the men's locker room (so NOT co-ed). As one enters the locker room, the lockers are immediately in front of you (kind of odd, since anyone entering/exiting the locker room inadvertantly exposes those who are changing into/out-of ther clothes to the anyone passing through the spa area hallway)!! There were two restrooms just-off the locker area.

Past the lockers, there is another larger room containing one dry sauna and one steam room. My best estimate is that each of these rooms seats about 6 men comfortably; a few more if a bit uncomfortably, lol. The steam room was one of those plastic-walled, pre-fabricated models (not like the nicely tiled steam rooms aboard the RCI ships). In this same area there were three showers and a water fountain. On the Crown Princess, the area was generally well-kept by the staff, so plenty of towels available and the staff didn't linger too long.

Additionally, I did see signs in the locker room indicating that the lockers were available to those guests with appointments for spa services. However, when I did request a locker (without an appointment) they did provide me a locker key in exchange for my room keycard (as is standard practice on RCI). Of course, whether or not the spa attendant manning the desk when you arrive is very helpful or polite about offering a key is very subjective. Good luck with this.

Bon voyage and enjoy your relaxation time!! ;)

Gigglewolf O' The Seas

Hi guys,

Thanks for your info about Rhapsody and Infinity. Wouldn't it be great if we all took a cruise together sometime? Anyway, just to clarify about the Solstice- the Persian Garden was a waste of time. I travelled Aquaclass but still preferred the sauna in the male locker room. Lot of guys (holds about 12) would congregate there and chat, mostly without attitude or towels. About 5 days into the cruise though, the settings became way too hot, so much so (and I'm no novice) that you couldn't stay in it for more than 10 minutes. Which is fine, if there is somewhere to sit outside and cool down - which there isn't. About 8 days out, the lockers became a joke - most of the keys had been 'lost', so guys were leaving their clothes where ever they could.

In the Persian Garden, anyone could walk in as the door was never secure (i.e. - don't pay extra for it - you can just walk in anyway). But even here there were about eight tiled lounges that were claimed in much the same way that deck chairs are - you know the sort of thing : books, towels left on the seat and no-one in sight. Very uninteresting, at least until some German gentlemen used the steam room 'au natural' which sent the dowager matrons off in a panic. At least it cleared some lounges.

Hope the Infinity is better!

• Haha 1

WOW...that has got to be one of the funniest posts on this thread!! HA!

And thanks for sharing more details on the Solstice-class ships (as I presume this Persian Garden/men's locker room sauna arrangement will remain the same on the rest of Solstice's sister-ships). I had no idea the sauna in the men's locker room could accommodate as many folks as you described (12?!); I'd read it was a small sauna, but 12 sounds like a decent-sized room.

Since my preference is for sauna & steam facilities that are non-coed, the Persian Garden never really held any appeal for me. Thankfully, Celebrity still offers the aforementioned sauna in the men's area.

And to have seen "the dowager matrons off in a panic" would have MADE my entire cruise, LMAO!!

I'm sailing aboard the Liberty of the Seas in late October, on a unique 3-night Bahamas itinerary RCI created (can't wait until RCI places a Voyager-class ship on the weekly 3/4 night Bahamas run from south Florida...someday ;o). THOROUGHLY enjoy the spa facilities aboard the Voyager and Freedom-class ships, so very much looking forward to that. On a side-note: what a shame that RCI dropped the ball design-wise with the Oasis, but not providing similar facilities.

Keep the posts coming, guys!!

Bon voyage to ALL,

Gigglewolf O' The Seas

I certainly feel comfortable sat in a male only sauna/steam room on the ships, its fantastic to meet guys from all over the globe and put the world to right and just have a laugh and not to worry about upsetting anyone or saying anything which may not be politically correct. I cannot wait to join the Star Princess in February, have a good swim, work out in gym and then relax in the steam/sauna. I often used to go around 5ish which is generally quieter as many are getting ready to eat so very few in. Keep up the good threads here, interesting to read.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been on the voyager class and freedom class ships and the layout of the steam & saunas are great.... has anybody been on the monarch to tell me what its like on that ship??? Going on a few few weeks and I was just curious....

While I have personally not travelled aboard the Monarch of the Seas, I believe I had read that when the ship was extensively refurbished a few years back, the ship's original steam & sauna layout was removed. Unfortunately, it does not seem as if RCI replaced them during the remodel.

I did sail aboard Monarch's sister-ship, Majesty of the Seas, after her refurbishment, where the same sort of work was done. However, RCI did replace the original set-up with a small locker room and even smaller, two-man steam room on the Majesty. Even so, the steam never worked while I was aboard the 3-day cruise and the spa staff could have cared-less when I brought it to their attention.

Shame that RCI rearranged these highly valued areas; the layouts BEFORE the refurbshiments were great (smallish steam room, but large sauna & showers).

As such, I now sail the shorter sailings of the Navigator (out of Florida) when she's based here in the winter and am considering the Grandeur of the Seas out of Fort Lauderdale, which now offers shorter sailings and offers a nicer steam & sauna layout.

Let us know what you find aboard the Monarch once you return.

Bon voyage,

Gigglewolf O' da Seas

thanks...i will let you know as soon as I return..... the accomodations in the gym sound nice on the NCl Jewel & Pearl......i wonder how nice the epic is? I wanna sail the Oasis and the Epic....but i sure love the freedom and voyager class ships.....they have a side entry door to enter and exit and you dont even have to go through the main door.....