New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

It is two, approximately 12-inch tubes with a turning rubber wheel at the bottom of each that you can touch if you need harder scrubbing of your hands. The spray inside the shaft reminds me of a car wash. I used it every meal but I was the only one doing so.

Thank you for that explanation. As for your being the only one washing up... We are just back from our first HAL cruise (on the Zuiderdam). One thing that my wife and I really noticed was how little emphasis HAL seemed to give to hygiene. The dispensers for hand sanitizers weren't well-located outside the buffet, and there were none at all outside such large public venues as the theatre and the Crow's Nest. I asked Guest Services about that and was told it was HAL policy not to put them there! What?

On Anthem, NO ONE was permitted to enter the buffet without going through the hand washing station. While some people still did not wash up, most did, and I think having to walk through there not only made it very convenient to wash up but added some peer pressure to do so.

We LOVED the lido cabana and used it daily. If you have kids I’d highly recommend one. You have a server who will bring you food and drinks. Top notch service. Also, it was a great place to sit and watch the inside passage. 176f76abb0d71e4a3ab010b17a3837f6.jpg33df32a7878384a2c207da5a97c7831e.jpgdfc55e29145a858ddc52912362c570c4.jpgbecfaf233dff37cb12d4154df70c4d46.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We booked one [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for that explanation. As for your being the only one washing up... We are just back from our first HAL cruise (on the Zuiderdam). One thing that my wife and I really noticed was how little emphasis HAL seemed to give to hygiene. The dispensers for hand sanitizers weren't well-located outside the buffet, and there were none at all outside such large public venues as the theatre and the Crow's Nest. I asked Guest Services about that and was told it was HAL policy not to put them there! What?

On Anthem, NO ONE was permitted to enter the buffet without going through the hand washing station. While some people still did not wash up, most did, and I think having to walk through there not only made it very convenient to wash up but added some peer pressure to do so.

I loved using the hand wash station-told my husband it my my wedding rings sparkle!

HAL used to be, in my opinion, more strict with the hand hygiene. Touch wood-we have been lucky (or careful) not to get sick so something is working. [emoji16]

We are sailing on the Oosterdam out of port everglades in Dec. 2018. First time on HAL and 1st cruise out of FLL. I would like info on shuttle services available from area hotels to the cruise port. We will be arriving the night before the cruise and will need transportation from the hotel to the ship on cruise day. Some hotels show that they have a third party shuttle for a fee, but no info on when the shuttle leaves the hotel. We prefer to arrive at the terminal early afternoon, after the morning/noon rush. Thanks for any info.

We are sailing on the Oosterdam out of port everglades in Dec. 2018. First time on HAL and 1st cruise out of FLL. I would like info on shuttle services available from area hotels to the cruise port. We will be arriving the night before the cruise and will need transportation from the hotel to the ship on cruise day. Some hotels show that they have a third party shuttle for a fee, but no info on when the shuttle leaves the hotel. We prefer to arrive at the terminal early afternoon, after the morning/noon rush. Thanks for any info.

If there are two of you, taxis are available easily at most hotels. If the hotels offer a shuttle, then when you check in make sure you don't need to "pre register". Some require it and some don't. Most shuttles start early in the morning and continue.

frankly, I prefer a taxi if I can pull it off and if the shuttle is ready to go and can take us, I'm not going to worry about the few $ I could have saved. We just go with the flow.

What hotel are you staying at?

taxi depending on where you are staying will run $10 - $15. Shuttles are around $9 each but it depends on your hotel and location. Hope this helps a bit.

You've gotten good advice above. I will just add, assuming that you are staying in Ft. Lauderdale, it's a pretty small area. Probably easiest to just take a cab (and possibly cheaper than a shuttle for two).

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you all for your advice. We were going to stay at the Comfort Suites South (Dania Beach) because of the shuttle service, but your advice on using a taxi gives us a greater choice of hotels. I've never used Uber, but if the cabs are reliable, we will probably try them. Thank you all!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kerwin725 said:

I am interested in possibly renting a cabana...but I thought I read somewhere it is only for 2 people.  Is that so?  My party of 6 couldn't mingle in and out of it throughout a day?

That is correct.  There are two types of cabanas — the Retreat Cabanas and the Lido Cabanas.  I will only speak to the Retreat Cabanas as I have no experience with the Lido Cabanas. There are two and four person rentals.  For six people you could rent a Family Cabana (4 people) and a 2-person cabana to make up the six.  You definitely cannot rent a 2-person cabana for six people though.  Best to call Ship Services and run it by them for the best advice.

13 hours ago, Kerwin725 said:

I am interested in possibly renting a cabana...but I thought I read somewhere it is only for 2 people.  Is that so?  My party of 6 couldn't mingle in and out of it throughout a day?

Hi - we were on the nieuw amsterdam this past May as a party of 5. We rented 2 lido cabanas (meant for 2 people each). Our cruise consultant wouldn't confirm that we would be ok, she just gave me the "company line" that each lido cabana is for 2. 

They are separated in between by a fabric curtain - so they tied ours back so we could have one "big" cabana (2 combined). It was pretty clear that we were on a family trip and our cabana staff never gave us a problem about having 5 people (we always got 5 glasses for the afternoon champagne and not limited to 4). We were able to order breakfast and lunch from the cabana - never had issues with the 5 of us in there either. Obviously, it'll depend on your cabana staff whether they'll be cool with other people drifting in and out of your cabana. I think if you just have them come and sit and chat with you that's more on the "likely to be ok" scale. I don't think they'll bring you 6 glasses  for afternoon champagne and deliver 6 meals (it would be a pretty tight squeeze w/6 ppl to fit and eat in there).

What itinerary are you looking at? We did the Alaska Inside Passage and had many ship/cruising days and felt it was worth it. I would note, even with the Lido glass ceiling, this area did get cold. We wore our robes over our normal clothes while hanging out in the cabanas. (Also, when we'd originally booked it was THOUSANDS of dollars cheaper to book 2 inside cabins and 2 cabanas than 2 veranda cabins - we ended up upgrading later on b/c the verandas were the same price as what we'd originally paid for the 2 insides). At the same time, I realized we explored the ship a lot less than other cruises we've been on b/c we had an "automatic" hangout space. We also did the Boston to Montreal cruise later this summer and although it wasn't an option, a cabana would've been a waste for us on that b/c nearly EVERY day was a port day.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost always, depending on how early you get on! Surely be prepared to keep what you carry on with you for a while. Although we travel by air "carry-on-only", we give our 20" suitcases to the porters and only have daypacks with us to board.

The suitcases usually show up between shortly before muster, and shortly after muster.

Booked on Caribbean Cruise on the OOSTERDAM in December.  We were on the Koningsdam last November and enjoyed several activities which added greatly to the cruise.  Does the Oosterdam have a pub crawl? If so, is there a particular day/time (for example, a "sea day", when it is offered?  We also enjoyed the "Sip and Savor" event in the early evening on the Koningsdam - a glass of red or white wine and a freshly made appetizer for $4.  Is there any event like that on the Oosterdam? Finally, any info about "hands on" food classes (how and when to enroll, when offered, are they worthwhile) would be appreciated.

27 minutes ago, DAHBBOTT said:

Booked on Caribbean Cruise on the OOSTERDAM in December.  We were on the Koningsdam last November and enjoyed several activities which added greatly to the cruise.  Does the Oosterdam have a pub crawl? If so, is there a particular day/time (for example, a "sea day", when it is offered?  We also enjoyed the "Sip and Savor" event in the early evening on the Koningsdam - a glass of red or white wine and a freshly made appetizer for $4.  Is there any event like that on the Oosterdam? Finally, any info about "hands on" food classes (how and when to enroll, when offered, are they worthwhile) would be appreciated.

All the ships have Sip and Savor.  On our last cruise, IIRC it was $5.  Still a nice time 🙂

Pub crawls are usually  on most ships - and usually sea days in my experience.

The 'hands on' food classes are not as 'hands on' as they used to be since HAL switched to the American Test Kitchen.  To enroll, just go to the front desk and inquire when they are, etc.  They are at a surcharge whereas the regular demonstrations are free of charge.

On 10/28/2018 at 2:22 AM, Woodfaerie said:

I am a HAL newbie.  Are we allowed into our stateroom upon boarding?  thank you.

Well if you are going on an Alaskan Cruise you will be lucky to get on board before the sailing time.  We took over 5 hours to get through the wording procedure at Vancouver.  Terrible - 6 cruise ships boring and only 13 US customs officers dealing with the process.  Good Luck

14 minutes ago, Not Mrs C said:

Well if you are going on an Alaskan Cruise you will be lucky to get on board before the sailing time.  We took over 5 hours to get through the wording procedure at Vancouver.  Terrible - 6 cruise ships boring and only 13 US customs officers dealing with the process.  Good Luck

When we took an Alaskan Cruise we first went to Denali.  On the bus from Denali to Vancouver the road from Anchorage to Seward was closed due to an accident.  All the buses which were spaced 30 minutes apart arrived at the same time.  Nobody's fault, but we were in line over an hour waiting to board

34 minutes ago, Not Mrs C said:

Was that recent?

When we went, September 2017 we had no issues. We boarded in Seattle though. My mother-in-law boarded airline to gate and was on the ship before noon. We boarded hotel - Lyft - gate, and we were on before 1pm.  Regular balcony cabin.

We were checked into our cabin at the gate, and able to go right in and drop our backpacks and such.

I am sure this has been addressed somewhere....I know we are allowed to bring in one bottle of wine with no corkage fee and any others we pay $18 for....if by chance we dont use all of the ones with a corkage fee do we get reimbursed for that?  Or when do we pay for the $18?

On 3/8/2018 at 7:51 PM, kazu said:

HAL now calls them Gala nights. As long as you have nice pants and a collared shirt, you are fine. Saying this because of your comment on men's dress. Women don't have to wear pants of course ;).

Basically "nice clothes" and no jeans. Now depending on the cruise, you will see people with suits, sports jackets, etc. But it's not required and you will be fine.

How 'dressed up" everyone is depends on the itinerary, demographics of people on board, etc.

Wear what makes you feel good. If you prefer to be less, fine and if you like to dress up, fine too. Either way you will good. Do what's right for you.

The "Know Before You Go" on the HAL site has the "minimum" dress code. It's pretty effotless IMO.

Im curious on this as well...I see mixes of replies.....we are cruising Nieuw Amsterdam for Christmas.  It will by my husband and myself, my parents (in their early 70s) and my newlywed son and daughter in law.  My dad is NOT a dressy kind of guy at all...will he be denied service in the MDR with jeans and a tshirt (no holes or anything) he is just a no fuss kind of guy.  

4 minutes ago, Kerwin725 said:

My dad is NOT a dressy kind of guy at all...will he be denied service in the MDR with jeans and a tshirt (no holes or anything) he is just a no fuss kind of guy.  

The jeans as described ("no holes or anything") are within the guidelines on a non-Gala night; Gala nights they should be switched to slacks.
Trade the t-shirt for a golf shirt (a 'collared' shirt), and again, he will meet the guidelines.