New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Looking at a cruise August 5 ... Do rates come down ever? Does it pay to wait a little while at this point? thanks.

Sure, rates can come down - especially in the final payment window. Usually in the lower priced categories, but not always;)

Of course, the ship can also sell out and have no availability. No way to know for sure.

Looking at a cruise August 5 ... Do rates come down ever? Does it pay to wait a little while at this point? thanks.

Be careful. I took advantage of a rate drop not realizing that it came with a "non-refundable deposit" restriction. Now I'm locked in.

Be careful. I took advantage of a rate drop not realizing that it came with a "non-refundable deposit" restriction. Now I'm locked in.

Good warning.

But the poster asking is looking at a cruise on August 5th. I assume it is this year and if it is, they are already at final payment and it is all non refundable ;)

Now that we are booked, I see there are three meal offerings with upcharges ... I'm wondering if they are all worth the costs?

I noticed, also, that you can purchase these meals via packages and save $$ though buying the package seems to preclude you from making the reservation in advance .. Am I right about that? Does it matter? Might we lose out on a reservation if we wait?

Does HAL do anything like a Chef's Dinner with wine -- which we did on Princess? That's the only time we paid for a specialty meal in our small cruising history .. LOL.

Thanks,

Rachel

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Explorations Cafe will probably be your best bet for specialty coffees and/or decent coffee.

I'm not aware of a coffee card, per se. There are beverage cards which you can use for coffee purchases (or other beverages) as well as the Quench package - but that is pretty pricey if you are only dealing with a few coffees.

If you log into your booking on the HAL website and check out beverages and beverage packages you will be able to determine if either of those is of value to you.

Can you clarify what coffees are included when and where? Will I be able to get cappuccino with breakfast or after dinner at the buffet or main dining room and is there an extra charge? Are there extra charges only outside of meal times? Thanks.

Now that we are booked, I see there are three meal offerings with upcharges ... I'm wondering if they are all worth the costs?

I noticed, also, that you can purchase these meals via packages and save $$ though buying the package seems to preclude you from making the reservation in advance .. Am I right about that? Does it matter? Might we lose out on a reservation if we wait?

Does HAL do anything like a Chef's Dinner with wine -- which we did on Princess? That's the only time we paid for a specialty meal in our small cruising history .. LOL.

Thanks,

Rachel

I don't know which ship you are sailing on, but if the 3 choices you are referring to are the Pinnacle Grill, Caneletto, and Tamarind, the Pinnacle is a steak and seafood luxury restaurant featuring NW Washington steaks. We generally eat at least one meal there especially if there is a special occasion. The Canaletto is Italian themed and an inexpensive upcharge for very nice food. The seafood stew is a favorite of ours. The Tamarind is our all time favorite of the upcharge restaurants, and we REALLY like the Asian cuisine and impeccable service.

You can buy the choices as a package and once you do, you generally need to get a reservation for a specific time. I don't recommend doing a walk-in.

I don't know which ship you are sailing on, but if the 3 choices you are referring to are the Pinnacle Grill, Caneletto, and Tamarind, the Pinnacle is a steak and seafood luxury restaurant featuring NW Washington steaks. We generally eat at least one meal there especially if there is a special occasion. The Canaletto is Italian themed and an inexpensive upcharge for very nice food. The seafood stew is a favorite of ours. The Tamarind is our all time favorite of the upcharge restaurants, and we REALLY like the Asian cuisine and impeccable service.

You can buy the choices as a package and once you do, you generally need to get a reservation for a specific time. I don't recommend doing a walk-in.

It's the maasdam and no tamarind but Le Cirque one day at the Pinnacle.

Is the Pinnacle worthwhile if you don't eat steak?

It's the maasdam and no tamarind but Le Cirque one day at the Pinnacle.

Is the Pinnacle worthwhile if you don't eat steak?

The crab cakes (an appetizer but some have had them as an entree -or so they reported) are really good.

the Caesar salad is still pretty good.

What do you like other than steak? They offfer stuff like pork chops, lamb, halibut & crab legs (at extra charge).

While I haven't personally had the chops nor the halibut, the reports at my table have been very good. they are all used to my cooking at summer parties (and I do pull out all the stops) so I think it was a trustworthy report. But, food is always subjective ;). And can vary from ship to ship at times.

I purchased Distinctive Dining packages for wife and I. Then went online to make a reservation for Pinnacle Grill, and it wanted to charge me. Didn't have a spot for indicating we have packages(so no charge). Maybe they charge you, then take it off once we're on board. I emailed HAL for clarification. We're already checked in, and have our boarding passes, so they can't use that excuse.

I have to say, their website is among the slowest, un-user-friendly I have ever come across. And it's been nearly a week, and still haven't heard back on my email.

I hope the cruise goes better.

I purchased Distinctive Dining packages for wife and I. Then went online to make a reservation for Pinnacle Grill, and it wanted to charge me. Didn't have a spot for indicating we have packages(so no charge). Maybe they charge you, then take it off once we're on board. I emailed HAL for clarification. We're already checked in, and have our boarding passes, so they can't use that excuse.

I have to say, their website is among the slowest, un-user-friendly I have ever come across. And it's been nearly a week, and still haven't heard back on my email.

I hope the cruise goes better.

PG reservations are made for you at a time of the PG's choosing and will be on a card in your stateroom when you board. If you don't like the date/time, go to the PG on Embarkation Day and try to change them.

Half Moon Cay - does anybody know the difference or have any I images to share: sun shelter rental $11.95 per party vs clamshell rental $39.95 per party. I pre-rented the sunshine a few weeks back when it was offered and today I see the clamshell listed. My objective is to have some private shade. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, the tipping comes out of that.

remember it's just a hold, not a charge so if you don't spend that, it doesn't get charged.

The HSC (tipping) is per person. If you are in a inside, ocean view, lanai or verandah it is $13.50 per day. If you are in a Suite (Pretty much anything that ends with the word suite), it is $15 per day.

Are VQ Spa Verandahs considered "suites" on the Veendam? :confused:

We prepaid the service charges a couple of days ago and it came to $15 per person per day for a 7 night cruise.

Are VQ Spa Verandahs considered "suites" on the Veendam? :confused:

We prepaid the service charges a couple of days ago and it came to $15 per person per day for a 7 night cruise.

I was told no and booked a Vista suite guarantee instead . Yet the only difference seems to be that you get double points from the HAL Mariner loyalty program for the Vista . The other perks listed by the HAL agent seemed minor . There were also minor perks to having the Spa cabins .

See you in 2 days Arzeena . :D

PG reservations are made for you at a time of the PG's choosing and will be on a card in your stateroom when you board. If you don't like the date/time, go to the PG on Embarkation Day and try to change them.

When I went thru the reservation process(until backing out, when it wanted to charge me), I chose the day, and it gave me a list of times to choose for the PG. Are you saying, because I purchased a package, I will instead be assigned a time for all 3 restaurants, at which ever times and days they choose? Then I have to go to each one to change? Hardly something I want to do during embarkation, when I'd rather be at the bar, or on deck enjoying the departure scene and celebrations. I must be missing something here.

BTW, our boarding passes say,"Open Seating", if that matters.

When I went thru the reservation process(until backing out, when it wanted to charge me), I chose the day, and it gave me a list of times to choose for the PG. Are you saying, because I purchased a package, I will instead be assigned a time for all 3 restaurants, at which ever times and days they choose? Then I have to go to each one to change? Hardly something I want to do during embarkation, when I'd rather be at the bar, or on deck enjoying the departure scene and celebrations. I must be missing something here.

I used HAL's online chat feature asking about this question -- regarding the specialty meals -- not regular meals -- which your booking shows early, late or open. This was the reply :

In most cases, you'll need to pay at the time of making your reservation. However, it may be possible if you phone our Ship Services department to purchase the gift & ask about reserving at that time. You will need to contact our Ship Services department at 1-800-541-1576 (7 AM to 5 PM Pacific Time Monday through Friday) or e-mail them at hal_ship_services@hollandamerica.com. Fax# 1-(800)207-3547

You will need to change your reservations while on board in person or via telephone (PG) sometime before the date of your assigned reservation. If you choose to make the changes on Embarkation Day, the probability of getting the date/time you want are excellent. Waiting until the last minute just shrinks your options.

There should be a podium across from the PG on Deck 2 that might be able to make all the changes at the same time. If you are in a Neptune Suite, the Neptune Lounge Concierge can make all of the changes for you. Only a very few have not been able to change Specialty Restaurant reservations.

On my cruise last month many of the "package' reservations were made for Embarkation Day which might be good for you.

Here is a link to all of the Specialty Restaurant menus to help in your planning:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/hal-specialty-restaurant-menus/

Open seating has nothing to do with the Specialty restaurants. It means that you can eat in the MDR whenever you wish but without an assigned table. Note that you can also order the MDR meal through Room Service during evening meal hours if you would like to eat on your veranda.

I was told no and booked a Vista suite guarantee instead . Yet the only difference seems to be that you get double points from the HAL Mariner loyalty program for the Vista . The other perks listed by the HAL agent seemed minor . There were also minor perks to having the Spa cabins .

See you in 2 days Arzeena . :D

See you too!

We are driving up to Boston tomorrow.

This is our first HAL cruise but we are one star mariner due to previously cruising on Carnival. The rep told us of 2 "perks" we would be getting, one being a Mariner's luncheon and I forgot what the other one was. When does that take place?

Edited by Arzeena

How did you prepaid the HSC? Did not know you could that.

We called HAL to ask (since we usually prepay it before we get on board) and they said that they can either do it over the phone or our TA can do it.

How did you prepaid the HSC? Did not know you could that.

We buy OBC before the cruise. For example, for a 7 day cruise HSC would be $94.50 per person for non-suite (13.50 per day), so buy $100 OBC per person. That way, you won't have a big bill at the end of the cruise.

Not exactly pre-paying the HSC, but close.

You will need to change your reservations while on board in person or via telephone (PG) sometime before the date of your assigned reservation. If you choose to make the changes on Embarkation Day, the probability of getting the date/time you want are excellent. Waiting until the last minute just shrinks your options.

There should be a podium across from the PG on Deck 2 that might be able to make all the changes at the same time. If you are in a Neptune Suite, the Neptune Lounge Concierge can make all of the changes for you. Only a very few have not been able to change Specialty Restaurant reservations.

On my cruise last month many of the "package' reservations were made for Embarkation Day which might be good for you.

Here is a link to all of the Specialty Restaurant menus to help in your planning:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/hal-specialty-restaurant-menus/

Open seating has nothing to do with the Specialty restaurants. It means that you can eat in the MDR whenever you wish but without an assigned table. Note that you can also order the MDR meal through Room Service during evening meal hours if you would like to eat on your veranda.

So my package meals days and times have already been assigned? If so, I won't know those days and times until I embark or call?