New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

3 hours ago, ptsaint said:

I have a question about cabin sizes on the Zaandam (dolphin/main) on Rotterdam/Amsterdam the ocean view cabins were larger on those two decks, do not know about the Zaandam - any help?

You can review the deck plans here

Hope that helps.

5 hours ago, ptsaint said:

I have a question about cabin sizes on the Zaandam (dolphin/main) on Rotterdam/Amsterdam the ocean view cabins were larger on those two decks, do not know about the Zaandam - any help?

The cabins on the Zaandam are the same size as the comparable cabins on the Amsterdam and Rotterdam; the Volendam can be included in that, too. 
The outside cabins on Lower Promenade are smaller than the other outside cabins on other decks. 

In general, all cabin categories on the two remaining R-class ships are larger than the same cabin category on the larger ships. 

11 hours ago, RuthC said:

The cabins on the Zaandam are the same size as the comparable cabins on the Amsterdam and Rotterdam; the Volendam can be included in that, too. 
The outside cabins on Lower Promenade are smaller than the other outside cabins on other decks. 

In general, all cabin categories on the two remaining R-class ships are larger than the same cabin category on the larger ships. 

thanks Ruth!

We will be on the 2022 Grand Africa cruise on Zaandam. This cruise is 71 days. We don't drink alcohol but like bottled water and soda pop and specialty coffees and teas. I am reading on line and it sounds like the cost for the packages is per day. Pop, water and specialty coffee packs look like they are $15.95 a day which would mean for a 71 day cruise the cost would be for the two of us about $2,200. This seems crazy. From what I read drink packages must be bought by both people in a cabin. The other thing I need is a laundry package for the cruise. I can't find the price of unlimited laundry for 71 days? And I need an internet packages. I have traveled on Seabourn, Oceania, Viking, and Crystal so I am used to included beverages, internet, and sometimes excursions. I am purchasing this cruise because of the itinerary but am concerned about how much additional money I will need to cover soda pop, water, internet, and laundry. If you have been on HAL grand voyages can you provide insight into the cost of the packages.  Thank you.

You don't need to purchase a package in order to have water or soda; those can be purchased individually. Water is fine from the tap, so no charge at all unless you insist on bottled water. 
Add up the price of water and soda based on how many you are likely to drink per day, then decided which way to purchase is more cost effective. 

The laundry package is generally $7/day times the number of days in the cruise. The advantage of unlimited, especially in hot climates, is you can come in at the end of the day, send off what you wore that day, then dress for dinner. No need to fill a bag is an indulgent pleasure! 
You can also send a bag of laundry out for $20/bag, which holds a LOT of clothes. The 'per bag' deal is daily; it is not restricted to certain days, as it is on Oceania. 

There have been charts posted that give the internet package costs. There are three levels; you will likely want at least the second level if you plan to use email, or visit websites. I don't recall the charts going higher than 30 days or so, but if you search for one, or if one is posted here, it will give you an idea of the price. I understand that on Grand Voyages there are package prices for Internet that run the length of the cruise, and are less per day than you will find on the chart.

Good morning.   I am trying to strategically use my HAL resources, I have a combination of OBCs and gift cards.   I want to pay for my cruise with my credit card since it is my insurance carrier but only if I pay the fare with the card.   The only expenses I foresee are excursions and a few bags of laundry.  

Can I use OBC to buy a Future cruise deposit once onboard?  I usually buy excursions before boarding or do independent 

thank you.

Edited by Mary229

On 2/2/2021 at 10:39 AM, Mary229 said:

Can I use OBC to buy a Future cruise deposit once onboard?  I usually buy excursions before boarding or do independent 

thank you.

Sorry,  no you cannot.

They will charge it against your credit card you are using for extra charges on board (unless you ask for it to be charged to a different credit card).

You can’t use your OBC for FCD.  I asked once.

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

Sorry,  no you cannot.

They will charge it against your credit card you are using for extra charges on board (unless you ask for it to be charged to a different credit card).

You can’t use your OBC for FCD.  I asked once.

Thank you.  

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning! I have several questions about HAL as we have never sailed on them. I’ve looked back several pages and can’t find the answers so I figured I’d ask now. Apologies in advance if I missed them. 
  We are thinking about the 35 day Hawaii/Tahiti cruise in a Neptune suite on the Zuiderdam for our anniversary. We have only cruised Princess before, so I’m trying to compare the 2. Here are the questions:

1. Does the Signature drink pkg include 99% of the liquids (bottled water, specialty coffees/teas, most wines, cocktails, beer, etc)? I saw somewhere that there was another pkg also. 
     2. It appears there is only 1 dining room. How does “as you wish” work? On Princess suites get “Club Class”. I understand HAL suites do get a special breakfast room somewhere. 
   3. Do retired military get OBC?

4. We love aft cabins. From pictures it appears that the SB cabins are smaller than the SA cabins. Is this true? (I’m comparing Zuiderdam cabins on deck 7 if it makes a difference).

We love long cruises and did the 28 day Princess RT LA a few years ago. The 35 day one looks fantastic and cruisers who have taken it seem to agree. My only concern is the length being this would be the first time on HAL and don’t know what to expect. Any help would be appreciated.

9 minutes ago, Wavelet said:

Good Morning! I have several questions about HAL as we have never sailed on them. I’ve looked back several pages and can’t find the answers so I figured I’d ask now. Apologies in advance if I missed them. 
  We are thinking about the 35 day Hawaii/Tahiti cruise in a Neptune suite on the Zuiderdam for our anniversary. We have only cruised Princess before, so I’m trying to compare the 2. Here are the questions:

1. Does the Signature drink pkg include 99% of the liquids (bottled water, specialty coffees/teas, most wines, cocktails, beer, etc)? I saw somewhere that there was another pkg also. 

It is good for all drinks under $11 including wines by glass and non alcohol drinks.
     2. It appears there is only 1 dining room. How does “as you wish” work? On Princess suites get “Club Class”. I understand HAL suites do get a special breakfast room somewhere. 

The lower dining room is for the anytime dinning. Suites get breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill except for newer ships that have Club Orange where you get breakfast and dinners

4. We love aft cabins. From pictures it appears that the SB cabins are smaller than the SA cabins. Is this true? (I’m comparing Zuiderdam cabins on deck 7 if it makes a difference).

We love long cruises and did the 28 day Princess RT LA a few years ago. The 35 day one looks fantastic and cruisers who have taken it seem to agree. My only concern is the length being this would be the first time on HAL and don’t know what to expect. Any help would be appreciated.

I can answer 1 and 2 see my notes above in this color. 

Edited by terrydtx

4 hours ago, Wavelet said:

Sorry - no, they don’t.

4 hours ago, Wavelet said:

The SB cabins are smaller than the SA’s for sure.  The verandahs are a lot bigger.though - huge.

some people love the aft Neptunes for this reason and others prefer the more central location and larger cabins that the SA’s provide.

Also, the SA’s are closer to the Neptune Lounge for coffees, munchies, etc.

The 35 day is a nice itinerary.  Personally, I’d opt for more mid ship as the first couple days can have some motion of the ocean.  We luckily didn’t but there was a bit on the return.

I’m sure you will enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 12:37 PM, drsel said:

With so many HAL ships being sold, do you think the reduced capacity will push up the prices of future cruises on HAL.?

Or will the reduced demand compensate for lower capacity?

I think they are likely to push for higher prices assuming the demand is there - which it seems to be. People really want to travel again as soon as it is safe. Many cruises we have been shopping are sold out, or at least sold out in Neptune Suites. 

Most of the majors also have several ships in construction that will be added soon which will add capacity, but I think they will try to maximize revenue as long as the demand is there. It is important to remember that there are a lot of people with FCC that are locked in and will not generate any more cash unless they can raise prices to collect more (plus all the onboard extras & other upsells). 

However, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of last minute offers to fill empty space. They will probably be eager to generate any extra revenue they possibly can. 

5 hours ago, zgscl said:

However, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of last minute offers to fill empty space. They will probably be eager to generate any extra revenue they possibly can. 

Thanks, on another thread I just read about price drops ( after final payment) of upto $1,000 pp on HAL ships.

After the final payment date they need to fill up the last few cabins, because onboard sales account for nearly 40% of total revenue.

Also the tipping staff need a full ship, in order to get their full salary from gratuities.

So a last minute price drop of $300 to 500 can be expected. You just need to be flexible with departure dates, departure port and type of cabin.

$1,000 would be an extreme price drop for a cancelled or unsold suite.

Edited by drsel

3 hours ago, drsel said:

Thanks, on another thread I just read about price drops ( after final payment) of upto $1,000 pp on HAL ships.

That makes sense as once final payment is made I don't think they will match current pricing. Also should give a pretty good idea of how much space the truly need to fill if some people cancel or don't actually make the payment. 

3 hours ago, drsel said:

After the final payment date they need to fill up the last few cabins, because onboard sales account for nearly 40% of total revenue.

Also the tipping staff need a full ship, in order to get their full salary from gratuities.

So a last minute price drop of $300 to 500 can be expected. You just need to be flexible with departure dates, departure port and type of cabin.

$1,000 would be an extreme price drop for a cancelled or unsold suite.

On our Alaska cruise in 2019, after final payment for our SS cabin the price dropped about $300pp and our TA was able to get us the difference in more OBC from HAL.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, terrydtx said:

On our Alaska cruise in 2019, after final payment for our SS cabin the price dropped about $300pp and our TA was able to get us the difference in more OBC from HAL.

That is fantastic, and one of the many reasons to work with a solid TA! 

On 2/25/2021 at 8:08 AM, terrydtx said:

I wonder how this would work if the price dropped before final payment on an existing booking that is 100% funded with FCC and includes the 'View and Veranda' package (which is our case at the present time).

18 hours ago, KroozNut said:

I wonder how this would work if the price dropped before final payment on an existing booking that is 100% funded with FCC and includes the 'View and Veranda' package (which is our case at the present time).

Before final payment you should insist on getting the difference as OBC, regardless of how your Cruise was funded.

After final payment you may not get anything.

On 2/25/2021 at 8:08 AM, terrydtx said:

That has been our experience aa well.  A price drop after final payment date has almost always gotten us a perk of more OBC.