Shame on you Chip Romero!

My family and I were on the Gem from 8/9-8/16. We had a great time and a thorough review will follow. I had just one experience that has left a sour taste in my mouth. I went to the Chip Romero magic show with my 8 year old son, my cousin & my 8 year old nephew. At one point during the show Mr. Romero asked for a young boy of 7 or 8 to volunteer. There were not many kids in the audience and my son (usually quite shy) actually put his hand up. Mr. Romero asked him how old he was and he said 8 excitedly and attempted to go to the stage. Then Mr. Romero stated "Hey, not so fast, run forest, run!" My son then sadly sat back down, and Mr. Romero found himself another volunteer who was 6 years old. I guess this was part of his act which he thinks is funny but I did not. For one, it hurt my sons feelings, and also, it was in very poor taste as my 8 year old nephew is autistic. I find myself really disgusted with this "performer" and pondering letting someone in charge know. Thoughts?

I would have said something on the ship and unfortunately you did not, but I do think you should write to Guest Relations about your experience. Very unprofessional in my opinion and not in the slightest bit funny.

Rochelle

I would have said something on the ship and unfortunately you did not, but I do think you should write to Guest Relations about your experience. Very unprofessional in my opinion and not in the slightest bit funny.

Rochelle

My feeling is they would be able to do very little on the ship other than ask chip to possibly seek the mom out and apologize

Not sure I would drag the kid back into it though as it might be taken the wrong way and could backfire

But what do I know

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

Ooh, very poor taste. Not that it's okay in any situation, I find it hard to believe anyone would do that deliberately, knowing your particular situation. I bet he'd apologize pretty quickly if you emailed NCL and his talent agency with the details of what happened. Hopefully, he'd learn an important lesson.

Son, Nephew which one did he insult???:cool:

Well maybe. The son was Called up but he isn't the autistic one right?

The nephew is autistic right?

But the nephew wasn't called up right?

So basically an 8 yo kid had hurt feelings. Ok I sympathize as I have had many a hurt feelings kid in my day

But if the autistic child was not called up then ummm I don't know

Yes in poor taste because it was a joke on an 8 yo non autistic kid and their happened to be an autistic kid in the audience.

I am sure there were others as well but this one was a cousin so it hurt more

I think the whole thing was stupid but then again i dont really care for comedy shows

But lets not go overboard here. Should buffet jokes be banned? Weight jokes? Pax jokes etc?

The 8 yo should just laugh it off and the autistic cousins parent should probably low key it with him

But as I said what do I know

Edited by luvtheships

My feeling is they would be able to do very little on the ship other than ask chip to possibly seek the mom out and apologize

Not sure I would drag the kid back into it though as it might be taken the wrong way and could backfire

But what do I know

I see your point but if it had been brought to the attention of management on board they could have gone to the performers next show, seen if this is indeed a part of the act (as the OP felt it might be) and put a stop to it then and there. This might have helped to alleviate the situation with the OP, knowing that their concern was taken seriously, investigated and acted upon. It is good to know that speaking up can bring about change. Hopefully something will be done about inappropriate humour especially when it involves children.

Rochelle

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone! It's just not sitting right with me, and I didn't want to give that man anymore of my time or attention by addressing this on our cruise. But if this is part of his "act", I think it should be taken out. I will write an email to corporate, and update all on the outcome.

Well maybe. The son was I silted but he isn't the autistic one right?

So basically an 8 yo kid had hurt feelings. Ok I sympathize as I have had many a hurt feelings kid in my day

Yes in poor taste because it was a joke on an 8 yo non autistic kid and their happened to be an autistic kid in the audience.

I think the home was stupid but then again am dont really care for comedy shows

But lets not go overboard here. Should buffet jokes be banned? Weight jokes? Pax jokes etc?

It's wrong to disappoint and use any child just to get a laugh. Not to mention the whole concept was in poor taste.

Rochelle

Edited by rochelle_s

Well maybe. The son was I silted but he isn't the autistic one right?

I think the home was stupid but then again am dont really care for comedy shows

Really? I'm in no way complaining that my child didn't get chosen for something. I'd think you could see the difference. And yes, I think jokes about people with autism should be banned, especially at a family show. But that's just me.

It's wrong to disappoint and use any child just to get a laugh. Not to mention the whole concept was in poor taste.

Rochelle

You hit the nail on the head! I didn't bring my child to a show to get his feelings hurt, purposefully, by the performer. Ha, ha, let's make the kid feel stupid. What a laugh.

How DARE a child experience disappointment! I would have looked at my child and said, "Well that's a bummer", and it would have been done, whether he wanted it to be or not.

Did you not read the post? He was called on. Then made to feel a fool, as the performer made a tasteless "joke" about an autistic person.

You hit the nail on the head! I didn't bring my child to a show to get his feelings hurt, purposefully, by the performer. Ha, ha, let's make the kid feel stupid. What a laugh.

It won't be the last time in his life. He will get over it, unless you don't let him by making a huge deal out of it.

I just have two questions:

1. How did Chip know that there was an autistic child in the audience?

2. When your 8 year old answered the question of how old he was, did Chip say "come on up" or did the 8 year old just start going up? Seems if it was the latter, then why get all bent out of shape?