Onboard "nickel and diming" to avoid?

asmith19

Wallie if I could add to your sentence.

Let's be clear, we Americans are becoming know as wanting a lot of things for little to no cost nor effort and then complain about how it was not up to our standards.

Hey, as a proud American, I resemble that remark!

Edited by boogs

The one place I felt nickeled and dimed last week on Solstice was in Murano, where we were charged for sparkling water, even though we were on the premium beverage package. It was our first time cruising and we did not expect this, because small bottles of Pellegrino and Perrier were free to us at every other place on the ship where we asked for them. I see in retrospect that it is like ordering a bottle of wine, which we knew was not included in the Premium package -- but I just wish we were told there would be a charge (we probably still would have ordered it, just wouldn't have been unpleasantly surprised). The price was pretty high, too -- like 8 or 10 dollars a bottle (we had 2 and drank one and a half). Also, the cover charge per person had been raised from 45 to 50 dollars a person without our realizing it. Not a huge deal, and not Celebrity's "fault", but 50 does seem rather high. Overall, this was just an annoyance--we still loved Murano, but next time I probably will not eat there, because we enjoyed the main dining room so much.

One other thing that was more funny than anything-- it was our anniversary that night. When we booked the cruise, and every time I checked our reservation on the Celebrity website, this was noted in response to their question as to whether we were celebrating a "special event" on the cruise. The ONLY acknowledgement we got on the ship was a note from the jewelry store, encouraging my husband to buy me diamond jewelry! This just made us laugh. We absolutely did not expect to receive anything "extra," but a "happy anniversary" from the waiter would have been nice!

Sorry I'm still not convinced. Just about everything you have described are considered EXTRAS.

The specialty restaurants are additional dinging venues. The usual free venues are still available - so no "nickle and diming" there. The Alcoves don't take away that much of the lawn space, a space many people think is a wasted to begin with.

The cancellation of sea day buffets won't cause anyone to go hungry, or have to pay for food. The food offered there was pretty much the same items you could get in the regular buffet area anyway. Only it was offered in a much more crowded and hectic environment. It was so crowded that many of us stopped going after the novelty of the first time. So, the loss of that marginally enjoyable buffet hasn't caused any to pay for food - so no "nickle and diming" there.

And for as long as I can remember, certain workout classes were always offered for a fee, so nothing has changed there at all. Again, no "nickle and diming" there as well.

The rest of your examples have absolutely nothing to do with "nickle and diming", further eroding your argument.

Interestingly, a new thread was started since your post re: nostalgia for the old Celebrity. Very interesting, even if there are not super-specific examples that you would demand.

While Carnival was definitely not the cruise line for me, I remember the Carnival forums being filled with people who loved to cruise, wanted to share their knowledge, and welcomed questions (even from noobs). I compiled pages and pages of information gleaned from those forums and was so thankful for it. My memory may be bad, but there was much less complaining about reaching special status (or not reaching it). More importantly, "flamers" and rudeness was quickly tamped out by the other posters. Maybe the Carnival forums are different now, but I'm certainly not feeling the love here.

Hope you are just having a bad day (week?) and will be back to yourself soon.

Here is a copy of a comment I posted on another thread, when they asked if they would love or hate Trying Celebrity. In a round about way it rings true for your original query.

Please come back and let us know how your time on Celebrity was, OK?

"We have been sailing Celebrity since 1994 and can say without a doubt you are going to hate it! Don't do it! You will become the outcast at all family holiday gatherings, birthdays, and anniversary's, weddings and even funerals. They will speak your name with contempt because you introduced them to a cruise line that makes them all want to not attend any family functions because they could sail and spend time on a Celebrity ship. If you value your relationship with your family do not introduce them to Celebrity. You may never get to spend any time with them again!"

Thank you, Wallie! Needed the comic relief! :D I'll be sure to report back!

I agree you need to decide in advance of what you want to spend. But I do get sick and tired of being ASKED to spend every time you walk into an eating area. That's at least three times a day, every day.

Thank you! Great observation! Off the cuff I assume this has to do with bottled wine. Can you tell me what they are asking you to spend on, and if this is in MDR or just the specialty restaurants?

Thanks in advance!

The one place I felt nickeled and dimed last week on Solstice was in Murano, where we were charged for sparkling water, even though we were on the premium beverage package. It was our first time cruising and we did not expect this, because small bottles of Pellegrino and Perrier were free to us at every other place on the ship where we asked for them. I see in retrospect that it is like ordering a bottle of wine, which we knew was not included in the Premium package -- but I just wish we were told there would be a charge (we probably still would have ordered it, just wouldn't have been unpleasantly surprised). The price was pretty high, too -- like 8 or 10 dollars a bottle (we had 2 and drank one and a half). Also, the cover charge per person had been raised from 45 to 50 dollars a person without our realizing it. Not a huge deal, and not Celebrity's "fault", but 50 does seem rather high. Overall, this was just an annoyance--we still loved Murano, but next time I probably will not eat there, because we enjoyed the main dining room so much.

One other thing that was more funny than anything-- it was our anniversary that night. When we booked the cruise, and every time I checked our reservation on the Celebrity website, this was noted in response to their question as to whether we were celebrating a "special event" on the cruise. The ONLY acknowledgement we got on the ship was a note from the jewelry store, encouraging my husband to buy me diamond jewelry! This just made us laugh. We absolutely did not expect to receive anything "extra," but a "happy anniversary" from the waiter would have been nice!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is exactly the sort of thing I was asking about. And, since you report this being the only one it makes me feel so much better. I think there must be a number of "grumpy gus's" on the forums or, as Wallie has pointed out, people who want much for little then complain about it. That's ok-- my attitude is different (I'm a "forewarned is forearmed" sort of lady and that frees me to have a great time).

Interestingly, a new thread was started since your post re: nostalgia for the old Celebrity. Very interesting, even if there are not super-specific examples that you would demand.

While Carnival was definitely not the cruise line for me, I remember the Carnival forums being filled with people who loved to cruise, wanted to share their knowledge, and welcomed questions (even from noobs). I compiled pages and pages of information gleaned from those forums and was so thankful for it. My memory may be bad, but there was much less complaining about reaching special status (or not reaching it). More importantly, "flamers" and rudeness was quickly tamped out by the other posters. Maybe the Carnival forums are different now, but I'm certainly not feeling the love here.

Hope you are just having a bad day (week?) and will be back to yourself soon.

I much prefer information based on facts rather than on unsubstantiated assumptions. If a poster feels that providing factual information is too much of an imposition, then perhaps the better option is to not say anything at all.

I am having a fine week, thank you very much. I find little value in vague and unsupported generalizations no matter what kind of day I am having. :D

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is exactly the sort of thing I was asking about. And, since you report this being the only one it makes me feel so much better. I think there must be a number of "grumpy gus's" on the forums or, as Wallie has pointed out, people who want much for little then complain about it. That's ok-- my attitude is different (I'm a "forewarned is forearmed" sort of lady and that frees me to have a great time).

Happily, we both agree on this sentiment. I also find the complaints of the "I want steak on a hamburger budget" people to be tiresome. We never hear them complain that the prices aren't high enough to retain all those little "extras" that they insist upon. Instead, they happily pay those lower prices and then complain about the alleged cutbacks that may be necessary to keep those prices low. A cruise these days costs about half what it did in the 1980s, and on nicer, better equipped ships. For the same cost, they can now book a higher category stateroom than they could have in the past. A fact they consistently overlook is that they can't have it both ways.

Edited by boogs

Is a large bottle of Pellegrino no more included with the premium package?.

Last year on Shilouette it there was no charge.

All I know is, I was charged for two large bottles of Pellegrino in Murano on Solstice two weeks ago. My husband and I were both on the premium package, and I do not believe the staff was confused about this -- we also ordered several glasses of wine that were over the $13 "limit," and they knew to only charge us the difference.

When I ordered Pellegrino or Perrier at bars and other venues, no one ever offered a large bottle, only small ones. Whereas, when I ordered regular bottled water, I was always given a large bottle of Evian (without having to ask for a large bottle). I never specifically asked for a large bottle of sparkling, so I don't know for certain whether it would have been included in the package outside of Murano or not. My belief based on these experiences is that large bottles are NOT included.

And for as long as I can remember, certain workout classes were always offered for a fee, so nothing has changed there at all. Again, no "nickle and diming" there as well.

Yes, something has changed. Zumba was always free and now it is $13/class with an 18% tip.

...You can ask them to remove the big water bottle also, as well as anything else in the cabin you don't want that is just sitting there taking up space you would rather use for something else, especially if you are in a small cabin where space is tight.

(Well, I guess not the furniture.)...

Actually the one thing I ask be removed from a standard cabin is the coffee table. No table opens up the room and keeps us from tripping over it.

Thom

Yes, something has changed. Zumba was always free and now it is $13/class with an 18% tip.

I rather doubt that it was "always" free. I've been on several Celebrity cruises over the last decade. I am a fan of Zumba and always asked if there were any classes available, and as late as October 2012 the answer was always "NO". So NONE of those cruises has ever had any Zumba classes. I read on these boards that Zumba was introduced fleet wide in early 2013. Yes, at the time they were free, but as I understand it from reading these forums, that was to get these classes established enough so they could be offered on a regular basis as they are now.

Zumba is a registered trademark. Zumba instructors are licensed through Zumba Academy, which owns the rights to that name and technique. Any Zumba classes must be licensed through that organization to be presented. Celebrity is no exception. They must pay for the right to provide those classes. http://www.zumba.com/en-US/trademark

Thank you! Great observation! Off the cuff I assume this has to do with bottled wine. Can you tell me what they are asking you to spend on, and if this is in MDR or just the specialty restaurants?

Thanks in advance!

It was to book a specialty restaurant. They stood at the entrance to the buffet and the dining room.

Zumba is free on Princess cruises. There is no reason why it can't be free on Celebrity.

Edited by Pushka

Zumba is free on Princess cruises. There is no reason why it can't be free on Celebrity.

So? There are things that are probably free on Celebrity that you have to pay for on Princess. And there are things that Celebrity has that Princess doesn't, free or otherwise. There is no reason for every cruise line to be identical to all the others. :rolleyes:

FYI: Princess is a step down from Celebrity in just about everything, IMHO.

Edited by boogs

I rather doubt that it was "always" free. I've been on several Celebrity cruises over the last decade. I am a fan of Zumba and always asked if there were any classes available, and as late as October 2012 the answer was always "NO". So NONE of those cruises has ever had any Zumba classes. I read on these boards that Zumba was introduced fleet wide in early 2013. Yes, at the time they were free, but as I understand it from reading these forums, that was to get these classes established enough so they could be offered on a regular basis as they are now.

Maybe you are right in that it was free at the beginning to get it established but I was on 4 cruises since Zumba was rolled out fleetwide, Jan 2013 and it was always free. It changed to a fee based activity when Canyon Ranch took over which was the case on my last cruise. I talked to the instructor who was a long time Celebrity employee and he said he was now employed by Canyon Ranch and he was not happy.

So? There are things that are probably free on Celebrity that you have to pay for on Princess. And there are things that Celebrity has that Princess doesn't, free or otherwise. There is no reason for every cruise line to be identical to all the others. :rolleyes:

FYI: Princess is a step down from Celebrity in just about everything, IMHO.

My point is that there doesn't have to be a charge for Zumba. Because it is now run by the Spa people and not the cruise line itself.

And FYI I have cruised on both Princess and Celebrity also. ;)

Edited by Pushka

I agree you need to decide in advance of what you want to spend. But I do get sick and tired of being ASKED to spend every time you walk into an eating area. That's at least three times a day, every day.

I have never been asked . I just walk by and don't look interested. I can smile and quickly look away.

My point is that there doesn't have to be a charge for Zumba. Because it is now run by the Spa people and not the cruise line itself.

Have you called or written Canyon Ranch and voiced your issue with the charge for Zumba? I would bet that in their contract with Celebrity, Canyon Ranch has the decision making power as to which services will be at a charged and which won't.

So how would you suggest the employee that does the class earn a living to pay their bills?

I guess they could have a volunteer passenger sign up page for someone with the proper certification to lead a class or 3 for free.

So how would you suggest the employee that does the class earn a living to pay their bills?

I guess they could have a volunteer passenger sign up page for someone with the proper certification to lead a class or 3 for free.

Or raise the base price for everyone on the ship so the few who wanted the classes could get them for free - i.e., subsidized classes. Or cut something else so you don't have to pay for your classes, eliminating something else you might then complain about.

You should be grateful for how lucky you are that you have choices and aren't forced to have the same things on every cruise line out there. When you want to do Zumba classes, you can book on Princess, and deal with the minuses of that cruise line. Or, when you don't want to do Zumba, you can book on Celebrity and enjoy all the pluses that cruise line gives you. Your choice. :D

If everything everyone wanted was for "free", the base price of the cruise would increase and be in line with the luxury lines. I can imagine how much you would howl at that! :eek:

Edited by boogs

And all I said was that Princess don't charge and I got a response that I was whinging (not sure who from, my comment was a general one for people who'd quoted me). Posters had said how you needed accreditation etc etc so there was a charge.

All I said was that they didn't have to charge but they do. I couldn't care less about Zumba. It was just a comment for Pete's sake.

Maybe they should charge for just using the gym equipment using your example of "pay for services". Or for Cabin service. Because that's exactly the argument you are making by using that example.

Edited by Pushka

And all I said was that Princess don't charge and I got a response that I was whinging (not sure who from, my comment was a general one for people who'd quoted me). Posters had said how you needed accreditation etc etc so there was a charge.

All I said was that they didn't have to charge but they do. I couldn't care less about Zumba. It was just a comment for Pete's sake.

Maybe they should charge for just using the gym equipment using your example of "pay for services". Or for Cabin service. Because that's exactly the argument you are making by using that example.

I don't give a hoot about Zumba either, and could care even less if it cost someone else to shake their booty. But it was not I that made the comment nor comparison. If you don't care, why say it? Let alone have no suggestion on how to support the recommendation it be free.

They do charge for using the gym and for cabin service, it is called the cruise fare. Now if you want direction from a instructor in the gym, yup, you got it, there is a cost for her/his time. It was that way when we were on the RCCL Freedom in 2011, the Ruby Princess in 2012, and the Celebrity Reflection in 2013. All 3 did not use a 'hard sell' approach, but it was sales 101 at its finest.