Our Carnival Spirit cruise

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with our latest 8 day cruise on CS to New Caledonia. I also have to say that it was indeed a ship that I had crossed off my "to do" list when I first heard about the number of children that were on some of the earlier cruises. Not that I don't care for kids -- just don't need to be around 6-900 of them at my time of life.

But I had heard good reports coming back from the ship - and it just so happened that we would be in Sydney for the City to Surf run when CS was to leave for this short cruis e. We hadn't done anything cruisewise since last year, so thought - why not ?? We'll soon see what she is like.

Well - it was then a very pleasant surprise. I have just filled in an online survey form and found that I could not in all honesty fill in anything except "excellent" for almost everything - staff, food, cleanliness, organisation. It was a painless experience - well , almost!!

Things I wasn't keen on were --

1. the decor!!!! :) Hmm, I think the nicest thing to say is that the architectural design inside the ship is eclectic - ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources. :) I'm not sure what the designer was thinking!! :)

2. Booze prices. I do believe that Carnival's alcohol pricing is the most expensive of any other cruiseline that we have traveled on.

3. Now to the subject of "adult - only" comedy shows. I spent 20 years in the Australian Military - so there are no words in the English language that I do not know and/or have not used. I remember when I was a child - there were very naughty words that could not be said in public - but behind the school toilet we could say them to ourselves and think it to be hilariously funny. I believe it is called "schoolboy humour" . At the time it was very popular - and it seems that most Aussies who went to the adult only comedy shows onboard have never matured/developed past this level. I quite enjoy crude humour - even obscenity laden humour -- but there must be some humour in it - not just the use of naughty words. These so-called Comedians onboard are not comedians at all - just naughty boys. As for my fellow Aussies who thought them funny?? -- I'll say no more!

Barry

Hi Barry glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise, we leave on the 29tth August on her we have sailed carnival before and like you the first time I saw the decor I thought what where the thinking of:confused: but on saying that by the end on the cruise I had got used to it.

If I can ask how much was it for a cocktail on the ship I think from memory last year it was about $10 to $12 which we thought wasnt to bad,

Jacquie

If I can ask how much was it for a cocktail on the ship I think from memory last year it was about $10 to $12 which we thought wasnt to bad,

Jacquie

yes - around that price for cocktails. Still 20% dearer than on RCCL aships though I think. Actually cocktails are probably the cheapest drinks on all the ships when compared to cocktail prices in onshore pubs & clubs. But beers, wines and spirits are more expensive than in pubs.

Memory fails me a little - but after 16 cruises, I believe that the booze prices on P&O UK have been the best for us ( but we were getting a good UK/AUD exchange rate then and that was 4 years ago ) - but our 2 cruises on Voyager and Radiance last year made me think that their prices were reasonable. Carnival is , I think, over the top!

Barry

yes - around that price for cocktails. Still 20% dearer than on RCCL aships though I think. Actually cocktails are probably the cheapest drinks on all the ships when compared to cocktail prices in onshore pubs & clubs. But beers, wines and spirits are more expensive than in pubs.

Memory fails me a little - but after 16 cruises, I believe that the booze prices on P&O UK have been the best for us ( but we were getting a good UK/AUD exchange rate then and that was 4 years ago ) - but our 2 cruises on Voyager and Radiance last year made me think that their prices were reasonable. Carnival is , I think, over the top!

Barry

Thanks for review Barry. I was on the Carnival Spirit some 9 years ago, Hawaii/Alaska, full of Yanks then.

Glad you enjoyed it, except for the comedians. Any Bogans on board?

I was on the 23 July sailing. a lot of places on Australia charge about $17 for cocktails, and even then they are light on the alcohol. I was drinking the 'Tiramasu' at $11 and felt no resentment about the price as I ordered a second, and occasionally a third. The prices for the wine at dinner were reasonable as well.

I deliberately chose the 23 July sailing because it was after all the school holidays in the eastern states. There were a few school aged children, but not a lot. There was only one incident of all the buttons being pressed on an elevator.

I found the decor strong and over the top. There were Devore features that were ornate enough to be the feature of the area, but then there were another two fancy items that also could have been the centrepiece.

Good to hear you enjoyed it, which is the main reason you go on a cruise.

Did you try Green Thunder? How was Spirit's standout feature?

It was barely used on this cruise -- too cold and windy for the entire duration. No rain as such - just cold and windy. I think it was used when in port at Noumea. I believe Carnival Legend also has one. I am sure they will be extremely popular in the summer months.

I would have enjoyed watching others use it!!! :)

PS - I am thinking that Carnival have "cracked" the Aussie family and first time "fun" cruisers market. Their emphasis on "fun" echoes P&O of the past. Didn't see any passengers having "too much fun" ( if you know what I mean ? :) )

Barry

Good one. Maybe your next booking will be on Legend?! :-)

I haven't been on them locally yet, but they do seem to get a lot of good reports. No one ship will suit everyone though, but I think you're right that they have done well to appeal to that market.

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the review. Carnival Spirit sounds just like I thought it would.:D

re

Things I wasn't keen on were --

1. the decor!!!! Hmm, I think the nicest thing to say is that the architectural design inside the ship is eclectic - ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources. I'm not sure what the designer was thinking!!

The Designer of practically all Carnival ships is an Icon of the cruise Industry...

Joe Farcus.

If you google his name it comes up with all you ever wanted to know about him and the ships he has designed .

He is famed for being rather ...."over the top";);)

Bazz

I agree with your comments on the "adult entertainment and comedy shows" on Spirit. We were on her in Feb this year and some of those so called "Adult Entertainers" think they have to use the "F & C" word every second word they utter to be funny. I am no prude after 41 years in law enforcement but I was not amused at all with their shows. We only went to one and what disappointed us most was they were packed out Perhaps that schoolyard humour you refer to is more alive and well than we think

Apart from that we enjoyed our "Spirit" experience The decor gets to grow on you after a while and we could not fault the service, food and comfort of the ship at all

John

Bazz

I agree with your comments on the "adult entertainment and comedy shows" on Spirit. We were on her in Feb this year and some of those so called "Adult Entertainers" think they have to use the "F & C" word every second word they utter to be funny. I am no prude after 41 years in law enforcement but I was not amused at all with their shows. We only went to one and what disappointed us most was they were packed out Perhaps that schoolyard humour you refer to is more alive and well than we think

Apart from that we enjoyed our "Spirit" experience The decor gets to grow on you after a while and we could not fault the service, food and comfort of the ship at all

John

Its not much better on Carnival USA:rolleyes: Some of the late night comedians were good but some just F and Blind with no real story or punch lines.

It always amazes me why some start laughing historically when a comedian swears:confused: Mind you it also amazes me at why so many people constantly clap and laugh at lame cruise shows:confused: lol