Review - a month in Alaska with a B2B on Celebrity Millennium

BrusselsGirl07

Yvette

I enjoy your review. Sorry we did not meet on the cruise. Your review rekindles great thoughts of our visit to Denali and the area.

As you may remembered we did our trip to Denali after the Aug 1st cruise. We spend 11 days after the cruise doing Denali, Fairbanks, North pole, Copper River area and Anchorage.

Thanks again for your review and hopefully we may meet on a future cruise.

Ben

Thanks everyone for your kind comments! Glad you are enjoying the review.

Ben, I am sorry we did not get to meet in person on the cruise! Maybe next time!

We just arrived home from the flight from Brisbane, and although it is 10.16pm and I have work tomorrow so should go to sleep, I will write a little more of my review!

Yvette

Saturday 19 July 2014 - The next morning we packed up the car, said goodbye to our cabins and drove to Talkeetna. It was raining quite heavily, so we did not stop at any of the lookouts as we did on the way up. But the weather cleared after a while and then it finally stopped raining. We turned off into Trapper Creek to see a 59ers museum that was mentioned in the Mile Post http://www.trappercreekmuseum.com. This was a very small original 59ers cabin filled with memorabilia from the time. It was interesting. We saw a sign for the Trapper Creek Fireweed Festival, so stopped to have a look. The locals were still setting up, so there was not much to see, and we had to keep going.

Just inside the turnoff to Talkeetna is a gorgeous little cafe, The Flying Squirrel Bakery Cafe. http://www.flyingsquirrelcafe.com/index.html We stopped here for coffee and a late breakfast around 11.30am. They had fresh bread baking in a wood fired oven, and lots of delicious cakes and cookies. We decided to come back for lunch.

IMG_2800_zps21713f3e.jpg

Rainy view on the way to Talkeetna

IMG_2804_zps8a0073a2.jpg

IMG_2803_zpsdd10ec82.jpg

A little too early at the Festival to see anything

IMG_0066_zps98cf678e.jpg

The museum

IMG_2801_zps965602b4.jpg

Old bottles in the window of the small museum

We left the fabulous Flying Squirrel and headed to the Talkeetna Air Offices. We had booked a flight seeing tour of Mt McKinley at 1pm - the Grand Denali Tour and Glacier Landing - with Talkeetna Air. http://www.talkeetnaair.com/flightseeing/index.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwg_afBRD3rpChlqiKt1ESJACwY6NkVvK-8b-esDg9p9Alye-ehBnsWzUrOIksJzFiku5KvhoCsIrw_wcB

That morning we were doubtful if the flight would go ahead, but the weather had cleared markedly and the flight was good to go! We were all weighed (they kept your weight a secret in case you were worried) and then fitted us out with overboots for the glacier landing. They even had spare sunglasses you could borrow. Bill had forgotten his, and he was so glad to have them when we landed on the glacier. The sunshine on the snow was blinding!

IMG_2817_zpsc2354813.jpg

IMG_2569_zps2ed8912c.jpg

IMG_2568_zpsd8d85df4.jpg

Bill making friends with the gorgeous airport cat

IMG_2573_zps1fbf1beb.jpg

There were 8 of us on the flight. We were seated according to our weights, and everyone had a window seat with good views.

The flight was fantastic! The views of the Mountains were so spectacular! The top of Denali loomed from the clouds and it was thrilling to see! We went over huge snow banks and glaciers. The way some of the snow had cracked and shifted made it look like a frozen city with streets between skyscrapers! We saw patches of the bluest ice blue ice through the snow on the glaciers.

We came in to land on a glacier and the weather could not have been more perfect. The sunshine was brightly shining, the snow was fluffy and white, and the mountains surrounding our plane were so beautiful. We had about half an hour on the glacier before we took off again. Another plane landed after we had been there about 15 minutes and it was fun to watch it come in and land on the snow.

This was such an amazing experience, and while it was expensive, I would recommend this to anyone who gets the chance!!

IMG_2667_zps359c901c.jpg

IMG_2662_zps03fe790c.jpg

IMG_2643_zps106f543e.jpg

IMG_2641_zps5bba11dc.jpg

IMG_2634_zps9dfcee80.jpg

IMG_2632_zpsddfd592f.jpg

The glacier landing was perfect. Bill and I never see snow, so it was fun running around and playing in it. The surrounding scenery was so spectacular and breath taking!! We were all just in awe.

IMG_2913_zps751437a6.jpg

IMG_2718_zpsb3b260b1.jpg

IMG_2688_zps567c57f9.jpg

Bill running in the snow on the glacier!

IMG_2686_zpseda77734.jpg

We were all so happy that we got the chance to do this flight. It was amazing!!!

IMG_2736_zps247fcd87.jpg

Bill was in the front seat on the flight home and took this picture of us in the plane.

Edited by BrusselsGirl07

After the amazing flight, and all on a high, we drove around Talkeetna to see what it was like. I thought it would be a cute little town, and it probably normally is, but it was really crowded, and the shops looked very touristy. We stopped at the Denali Brewing Co. then headed back to the Flying Squirrel Cafe for lunch. They had friendly staff, local beer with interesting labels, great coffee, really yummy food, and free wifi!

IMG_2972_zps2e415af5.jpg

IMG_2974_zps04754a4b.jpg

IMG_2976_zps004df8b2.jpg

IMG_2978_zps24495ee0.jpg

Not far from the Flying Squirrel was a Birch Syrup producer - the Kahiltna Birchworks. We stopped in to have a look and had a lovely time!

The people in the shop were so friendly and showed us around the syrup making facilities. We got to taste the syrups collected at various times during the collecting period and they were so different to each other. They also sold various jams and products made of the syrup such as toffees. They had free shipping in the US, so our friends bought some products and had them shipped home.

We also bought a container of their first run birch syrup to take home with us. I made a rookie travel mistake and forgot all about it. It ended up in a carry on and was confiscated when we entered Honolulu airport on the way home.

They also sold really yummy icecream, so we had to try some of that as well!

This site has a great short video on birch syrup production http://www.alaskabirchsyrup.com and this link is to the store and facility in Talkeetna http://www.alaskabirchsyrup.com/contactus.html After watching the video since arriving home on how the syrup is made, I am extra sad that my bottle was confiscated!

IMG_2986_zps0fb42133.jpg

IMG_2988_zps8e1249b5.jpg

IMG_2983_zps29acf1ec.jpg

Little bottles of Birch Syrup from day 1 to day 17

IMG_2984_zpsa3ccef1b.jpg

The Syrup evaporator

IMG_2982_zps0da79cdf.jpg

Birch Syrup products.

We continued our drive to Anchorage, and arrived back at the Susitna Place B&B. We had the same rooms, and Linda had already put the bags we left behind into our rooms.

That night we had dinner at the Snow Goose Restaurant which has a brewery onsite called the Sleeping Lady Brewery. http://www.alaskabeers.com We sat out on the balcony and had a relaxed meal, with more beers for the boys.

We went for a big walk around town before going back to our B&B for a good night’s sleep.

IMG_2995_zpseb484d1f.jpg

IMG_2991_zpsd9e60cf4.jpg

IMG_2992_zps49d38cc8.jpg

IMG_2993_zps5fdf2d37.jpg

IMG_2996_zps7402d567.jpg

IMG_2998_zps693d08d0.jpg

Sunday 20 July - We had a full day in Anchorage. There were lots of options of what to do, but even though the weather was a little overcast and rain was predicted, I was desperate to see a Moose up close!! So we went bike riding on the Tony Knowles Coastal trail.

We walked to Pablo’s bike hire http://www.pablobicyclerentals.com, and were fitted out with bikes, helmets and maps. The bike ride is really beautiful, lots of trails which pass beaches, and through parks and forests. We had hired the bikes for 3 hours and thought we would go 90 minutes one way and then turn around and come back. The path goes through Earthquake Park and we stopped and read about the devastation caused by the 1964 earthquake.

IMG_3010_zps921c37f6.jpg

IMG_3014_zpsea83b0c7.jpg

IMG_3020_zps8d739d39.jpg

Swallows flying around a sandy cliff they had built their nests on

IMG_3049_zps96c5c733.jpg

IMG_3124_zps703d0fee.jpg

IMG_3123_zps7881307a.jpg

We had been cycling for around an hour and I was giving up hope of seeing a Moose, when a local rode by and casually commented ‘Moose on the left’. He may as well have said that Santa was around the corner handing our million dollar cheques, I was so excited!!

We quickly rode around the corner, and there was my first real live up close Moose! It was a young male with small antlers, and he was happily munching grass on the side of the path. We respected his space, took lots of photos, and then we continued on so that we did not make him grumpy.

IMG_3070_zps4624c13f.jpg

I was so excited to see a Moose!!!

IMG_3068_zpsc3d162b6.jpg

IMG_3081_zps265b6acc.jpg

IMG_3085_zpse1024f75.jpg

On the way back to Anchorage to drop off our bikes, Nancy noticed that Denali was showing!!! We could not believe it! The mountain was quite distinct and glowing white from the sun shining on the snow. We got back to Pablo’s right on the 3 hour mark and left our bikes.

The mountain was still out, so we walked back to the Snow Goose Restaurant to sit out on their balcony and enjoy the views. It had gotten quite cold and windy, so we moved inside and had lunch.

IMG_3146_zps295c3f68.jpg

IMG_2749_zpse4e8f0e3.jpg

We had another big walk around Anchorage and then went back to the B&B. The views from the balcony at the B&B of the mountain ranges and also Mount Susitna, the Sleeping Lady, where beautiful.

IMG_3006_zps142c6eac.jpg

Can you see the Sleeping Lady? The story of this mountain is lovely.

IMG_3007_zpsa32e7e92.jpg

Loving your review Yvette - photos are fabulous! We have just booked for the same trip in reverse - Northbound on Millennium in May with a few days in Anchorage/Seward area at the end.

How did you find Hawaiian airlines? Better than Jetstar? We are tossing up between Jetstar and Hawaiian and trying to figure things out with frequent flyers, but want to fly via Honolulu and maybe stop there for a few days on the way back. Also not sure how to continue on with a codeshare flight (we will be flying Honolulu to Vancouver) but you've made me think I'd better look into it more carefully!

Hi Cassicruiser - I have not been on Jetstar for a long haul flight, but we were not that impressed with Hawaiian. The plane we were on was really squishy, and it seemed you had to pay for everything including entertainment and food. I even asked for a snack at one point in the flight as I was hungry and the hostess told me I had to purchase food if I wanted it. I was going to buy something but she never came back!

Codeshare flights are OK as long as you book your entire flight with the one provider - then if there is a problem they have to sort it out for you. If you book one leg with someone, then the connecting flight with someone else and you miss the connection, it is usually up to you to figure out what you do next. But if you have a few days before continuing, this should not be a problem at all.

Mapleleaves, thanks for your kind comments!