Review - a month in Alaska with a B2B on Celebrity Millennium

BrusselsGirl07

We left the open water and went into College Fjord, up Barry Arm and into Harriman Fjord. The scenery along the way was just magnificent! Mountains soared up from the water into the sky and glaciers came pouring down into the water, or were left hanging midway down. We passed lots and lots of adorable Sea Otters. I would have liked to get closer to them, but if we slowed down they dove under the water.

IMG_2908_zps8c603e1a.jpg

IMG_2897_zpsfc89276c.jpg

IMG_2911_zps53632e97.jpg

IMG_2925_zps2e876b1b.jpg

IMG_2922_zpsa19b13d4.jpg

We sailed into Surprise Inlet and cut the engines in front of Surprise Glacier. It was such a beautiful glacier and very active. Sitting out on the back of the boat, with the sunshine pouring down, surrounded by the most amazing scenery and listening to the glacier creak and crack, and make thundering sounds, was just wonderful. The glacier was actively calving and it was such a thrill to watch these huge chunks of ice fall off the face of the glacier and into the water. Massive splashes of water would fly up into the air and waves would come along and rock the boat. There were very cute Harbour Seals and Sea Otters sitting on the fallen pieces of ice.

After 30 minutes alone at the glacier, another small boat came to look at the glacier as well, and stayed on after we had left. The very large Klondike Express also came up with lots of people on board and only stayed for a short time. We fished out a piece of glacier ice with a net to have a look at, and then threw it back overboard.

IMG_3480_zps79ad3c7e.jpg

IMG_3479_zps40d39e8b.jpg

IMG_3494_zps3fc01486.jpg

IMG_2940_zps6e7d0e47.jpg

IMG_3030_zpsfd4f7883.jpg

IMG_3031_zpsb91521b7.jpg

After about an hour in front of the glacier, it was time to head back to Whittier. Captain Dale told us about the best place in town to get fish and chips, Varly’s Swiftwater Seafood Cafe. We headed there for dinner! http://www.swiftwaterseafoodcafe.com The owner of the cafe was behind the counter, and she greeted everyone who came in the door and took orders quickly. Her young son was waiting on the tables, and he was such a nice boy. The cafe was decorated like a fishing boat and had all sorts of prints and signs on the walls. They had some great stained glass panels. The fish and chips were delicious! We shared a serve of the Rhubarb Crisp - yum! Before we left, we took a photo with them.

We walked back to our hotel and I went into the fudge shop to get some more salted caramel fudge. Sadly, the last slice had been sold and they were all out. I bought a different kind, but the salted caramel was the best!! We finished the evening playing Farkle in our Townhouse Suite. Our friends had a good night’s sleep in their comfortable bed in their new room. Thank you to the management of the Inn at Whittier!

IMG_3508_zps9f1b2478.jpg

IMG_3510_zps1339c7cb.jpg

IMG_3511_zpsaf02b9bc.jpg

IMG_3506_zpsaa3bd200.jpg

IMG_3519_zps98d1abcd.jpg

Yvette and Bill, your pictures came out awesome! I am so jealous! I only wish mine had come out as nice. In retrospect I should have spent more and got a better camera with changeable lenses. I was not pleased with the images from the Nixon coolpix p600 we used a few weeks ago.

About the stained glass otter and puffins, you could most likely take the picture to a stained glass artist and they could make them for you by blowing up the image and making template. My mom does stained glass work and we saw a few husky/Iditarod pieces in snow shoes she is looking to recreate.

I look forward to more of your review.

Cassiecruiser, no problem, hope the review helps your planning!

Seeingtheworldbysea - thank you, sorry you were not pleased with your photos. I love your idea about the stained glass! I will look into finding someone.

Tweety33, we really enjoyed the Millennium and had no problems with the ship at all.

Wednesday 23 July - We woke up early to a completely different town! At 6am it was dark and grey and pouring with rain. The Island Princess was docked next to our hotel, and totally dwarfed the little town! People were getting off and straight onto a train. We could not believe the change from our brilliant bright and sunny day the day before.

It cleared a little later on and we walked to the Lazy Otter Cafe for a last coffee and breakfast in Whittier. I took more photos of the cruise ship as it looked so big!

IMG_3526_zps41b8cd0d.jpg

IMG_3527_zpse1a976bd.jpg

Such a change from my photo from the morning before!

IMG_0175_zpsc8a2e09b.jpg

IMG_3531_zps3098b16a.jpg

IMG_3534_zpsef2dbae1.jpg

IMG_3535_zpsfb22b7ef.jpg

The ship dwarfing our hotel.

We loved our stay in Whittier. I could not imagine a more perfect day than the one we had sailing out on Prince William Sound. I know we were really lucky with the weather, but if you have the chance, go to the Lazy Otter Cafe and do one of their tours, and visit Varley's Swiftwater Seafood Cafe and the Fudge Shop!

IMG_3529_zpsc26a3c17.jpg

IMG_3530_zps5a8b2159.jpg

I really wanted this bench!

At 8.45am We were picked up by Salmon Berry Tours for our transfer to Seward, and we had Sharman again!

We said goodbye to Whittier and went through the tunnel. After a while we stopped for a bathroom break at a very cute log cabin. Unfortunately, the bathrooms were unavailable, but we got coffee, and Rod got a piece of home made berry pie. We stopped at a park on the Kenai River a little way down the road and used the rustic bathroom there. The place we stopped at was very pretty, with a salmon run and a platform where you could stand to see them. It was a little early for salmon in the area though, and we just read the information signs that were by the path. For every 400 baby salmon released into the river, only 100 make it to the sea, 6 will return to the river as adults and only 2 will survive long enough to spawn!

IMG_3547_zpse36fc335.jpg

IMG_3550_zpsc291dacb.jpg

Our next stop was at Exit Glacier, which comes off the Harding Icefield. http://www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/exit-glacier.htm We stopped at a lookout to see the glacier.

IMG_3084_zpsc74ef2bb.jpg

We then went to the visitor’s centre where we saw the funniest sign about what to do if a bear attacks - if it is a black bear, you should fight back. If a Grizzly attacks, you should play dead. But if it starts to eat you, fight back!

IMG_3087_zps5c01eebe.jpg

IMG_3555_zps1e239299.jpg

Luckily we did not need to use this advice during our trip to Alaska!

We walked along the path to the Glacier. They had year markers along the track showing where the glacier used to be. It is rapidly receding. You can’t get close to the glacier anymore, and it was the smallest one we saw of all of the glaciers. It is really interesting seeing the ground up valley that was left behind as the glacier receded.

IMG_3574_zpse126d5e4.jpg

On the hike to the glacier.

IMG_3571_zps71d83dae.jpg

The path of the receding glacier.

IMG_3560_zpsd8918f36.jpg

Our next stop was the Seavey’s Ididaride Sled Dog Tours. http://www.ididaride.com I was not sure what this would be like, and was worried it would be like a puppy mill, but it ended up being really interesting. The dogs seemed healthy and well cared for and genuinely excited to be hitched to a cart and go for a run.

A man who had completed the Iditarod race, and was an extremely good story teller, kept us captivated with the story of the Ididarod and the Seavey’s. We then went into the dog yard and met one of the dogs and heard about what is needed to make a good sled dog.

The dogs were all so excited to be picked to go on a run. 15 were hooked up to a harness, with lots of barking and jumping, and 7 adult tourists were loaded into the cart and off we went for a ride through the forest. Our guide was a young man who knew every dog's name on our cart. He was preparing to compete in the Junior Iditarod race.

IMG_3575_zpse84a1294.jpg

IMG_3095_zps1eebe7b7.jpg

IMG_3576_zpsdbcaee2c.jpg

IMG_3599_zps45aac339.jpg

IMG_3623_zpsadae5b53.jpg

IMG_3100_zps0a20ba92.jpg

After the ride, we were able to play with some puppies. Then we went into a shed and heard about the requirements of the Iditarod, how it was organised, how much food and equipment you need, the type of clothes required, and information about the sleds. I tried on one of the coats and it would be incredibly warm. The storyteller from before told us more tales from past Idiarods - he really was very good at story telling!

IMG_3694_zpsc3d80742.jpg

IMG_3113_zps69ef303f.jpg

IMG_3678_zps52bbb7ce.jpg

IMG_3684_zps96adc400.jpg

Our day with Sharman had come to an end, and she dropped us into Seward at the ‘A Sunshine House’ B&B which is opposite the multicoloured tiled library. Marsha Gustkey met us at the front door along with Butch the Cocker Spaniel. We had two rooms upstairs which shared a bathroom. I actually thought that we would have a bathroom each, but this was a misunderstanding on my part. But it worked out fine, and we were only there for 2 nights. The rooms were cosy and the beds were comfortable. Marsha is a quilter, and has beautiful handmade quilts on the beds and also on the chairs in the living room downstairs.

We had not had lunch, and it was around 4pm, so we decided to have a late lunch/early dinner at the Seward Brewing Company http://www.sewardbrewery.com/home. The boys went straight to the restaurant/brewery, and Nancy and I had a look around at some of the shops first. We found one with Russian hand carved and hand painted figurines, mostly Santas and animals. The one that I liked was of a curved Salmon with a mother and baby bear sitting on it. I ended up buying the carving the next day. We looked in the quilting shop, and then joined the boys for our early dinner. The meal was probably my least favourite of the trip so far, but I did have my first root beer float, and that was delicious. And Bill got to try more kinds of Alaskan beer!

IMG_4079_zps1f33d65c.jpg

The B&B, very comfortable and yummy breakfasts!

IMG_3688_zpsfb0d1c29.jpg

IMG_3696_zpsefbe3107.jpg

The Seward Library

Our day with Sharman had come to an end, and she dropped us into Seward at the ‘A Sunshine House’ B&B which is opposite the multicoloured tiled library. Marsha Gustkey met us at the front door along with Butch the Cocker Spaniel. We had two rooms upstairs which shared a bathroom. I actually thought that we would have a bathroom each, but this was a misunderstanding on my part. But it worked out fine, and we were only there for 2 nights.

I found it interesting that you experienced the same thing that we did at the Sunshine House B&B. Here is a quote from my review of our Alaska Coral Princess cruise.

The reservations had been made in September and the cash price for two nights for our room was $305.25. Overall our stay was pleasant and our hosts, Mike and Marsha, very warm and hospitable. I will go into more detail in the next post about our "out of this world" breakfasts but did want to make mention of a slight issue. It was our understanding when we booked that we would each have bedrooms with private baths, but instead were given the two upstairs bedrooms that shared a bath.

With a little coordination on shower times, we made things work, but the situation was less than ideal. There was a third bedroom with a private bath downstairs, but it was occupied by other guests.

Although we had a very enjoyable stay at the Sunshine House, I would encourage anyone staying here in the future make sure the arrangements are spelled out in writing via email so there is no misunderstanding. Although we didn't say anything, I also felt like we should have been charged a lower rate for the inconvenience of having rooms on the second floor AND sharing a bath. Instead we paid the same rate as for the room on the first floor with a private bath.

AryMay, that is interesting! I was sure that the website said only 2 couples would be in the B&B at the same time. I think Marsha heard us discussing it, as she later bought it up and clarified that if she had two couples that did not know each other, she would have one upstairs and one downstairs. But if there were 2 couples travelling together, she would put them upstairs to share a bathroom, and then be free to have another couple stay in the downstairs bedroom and bathroom.

In the end it did not matter, we worked out timings for showers, but the toilet being in the same room as the bathroom could be a problem if the other couple were using the bathroom to shower, and you needed to use the toilet!

We had a lovely stay, and great breakfasts. Maybe we should have said something and they could change the description on their website.

Thursday 24 July - Today we were booked to go on the full day Kenai Fjords tour with Alaska Saltwater Lodge from 8am to 5pm http://www.alaskasaltwaterlodge.com/alaska_whale_watching.htm.

We were so lucky with the weather and had a beautiful sunny day again! There were times during the day that it was cloudy, but the sea was calm and the temperature was comfortable. We went down to breakfast and Marsha made us pancakes with maple syrup and home made honey orange syrup, as well as serving omelettes and smoked salmon. There was also fruit and juice, and tea and coffee.

At 7.30am we walked down to the port area of Seward which took about 25 minutes. We met at the assigned place, a bakery, and a company rep took us to meet our boat and Captain Jim. There was the 4 of us and a couple from Sweden, so a nice small group. We sailed into Resurrection Bay, into the Gulf of Alaska, up into Aialik Bay, into Holgate Arm, up to Holgate Glacier and back again. We spent a lot of time in the open ocean, but we did pass close to rocky outcrops where we saw Stellar Sealions, Harbour Seals, Eagles, Rhinoceros Auklets and Puffins nesting and swimming, and even a Mountain Goat! We watched some Humpback Whales diving in the water, and we also saw Fin Whales and later another few Humpbacks. It was great to see these animals in the wild. We had quite a few Dall Porpoise zooming along next to our boat and jumping out of the water.

IMG_3698_zps0ac03e6d.jpg

IMG_3699_zpsbd2f81d4.jpg

We walked past the fire department on the way to the dock

IMG_3700_zps7a7341ad.jpg

A husky carving

IMG_3705_zps3faa2af2.jpg

IMG_3707_zps38aa4800.jpg

At the dock, leaving on our adventure

IMG_2923_zps2c714d15.jpg

A mountain goat we saw from the boat