Almost "Live from" Disney Wonder to Alaska! My Second Disney Experience

lovely_serenity

We then made our way over to the theatre and lined up. Next to us was a set of doors leading to the open deck. I kind of stared for a little, but eventually thought that, while we were there, I figured I might as well check out the scenery on the other side of the ship. I told my dad I’d be right back and I darted outside.

16345025130_1e448a56fd_b.jpg

16532502695_14fec96ee9_b.jpg

I quickly snapped a few photos and ran back inside to line up at the theatre with my family.

16506476986_8b1e862951_b.jpg

15909909104_6713f334ac_b.jpg

15912296783_1ae9c58b9e_b.jpg

Once we entered the theatre, we quickly sat at our usual area. Tonight’s show was a hypnotist show with Ricky Kalmon.

16506477546_28962f742b_b.jpg

So apparently this guy had had some little boring show mid-day, which was so terribly boring, it deterred some people from coming to his night time theatre show (my oldest cousin + her parents). In actuality, he was completely different. His mid-day promotion show thing was completely boring and terrible, but his night time theatre show was amazing!! It was one of my favourite shows (by a person) all week. He was an amazing hypnotist. He explained how some people were better candidates for being hypnotized than others, just because. He would do his thing and have everyone relax (he explained that it wasn’t that they were in a trance, but they actually knew what was going on). He would then pick out specific people that he found was “in deeper” than others (better targets to get them to fall into his power of suggestion LOL) and segregate them. He’ll play certain music and then say things, like tell people to imagine certain things, completely relaxing your body, and if it worked on you, you would subconsciously do what he was telling you to. It was hilarious, because there was this one guy that he noticed, that seemed to have fallen REALLY deep in and while he was checking all of them, he was like “LOL wow this guy is gonna be great hahaha” ^^. He would eventually tell that guy “When I snap, you are going to awaken, and when I say the word “___”, you are going to take your left shoe, thinking it is Simba, and introduce him to the rest of the guys from Pride Rock”. And let me tell you, it was amazing LOLOL. A sudden blast of “IN THE CIRRRCLLLE OF LIIFFFEEEE~~~~” with this one guy prancing around the stage with his shoe, doing the “lift”. :,D After that, he snapped him out of it, and the guy was just like // o-o?? *notices shoe* .. o-o?? *puts it back on*// and Ricky asks him what he remembers and he’s just like //o-o? Uhm, I remember hearing Lion King music?// LOL Anyways, that guy really made the show great LOL. (Ricky would get the group to go more and more ridiculous tasks, and then based on their reactions, he’d weed out the ones that were less “in deep”. This Lion King guy was the one that was in the deepest ^^. Anyways, amazing show, we laughed so hard our sides hurt (:

Edited by lovely_serenity

After the show, we went back to the lobby. There I saw Goofy in his Alaskan outfit, twirling, dancing and jumping around ^^

15914009693_3bddb6e249_b.jpg

16346726460_c021171b46_b.jpg

(LOL You think it’s funny, huh? NO LOL, I CAN’T GET A CLEAR SHOT OF THEM)

16532500661_d9e7b966e5_b.jpg

The same with Donald! He was upstairs in his Alaskan outfit, dancing around so much it was impossible to get a clear picture LOL. I think I took like 10 and this was the best one I could get??

16347945119_2bf9dc0692_b.jpg

After that, we went back to our room to change into comfortable clothes (first took a picture of my dress)

15911648484_9420c33cd9_b.jpg

Before making our way to the Buena Vista Theatre, waiting to meet up with my family + relatives to watch Captain America together.

On the way there, look who I spotted!!!! :D

16348314547_e00b521c6f_b.jpg

16346767080_d26d0d717f_b.jpg

I then ran down to the stage to attempt a terrible-panorama! ^^”

15911753134_5c32e33e1f_b.jpg

(I actually just took pictures in every direction and tried to glue them together LOL – hey, at least I tried?)

16534403455_b2193a2933_b.jpg

16508374536_70aecbf7aa_b.jpg

16346859070_2d39faf686_b.jpg

As more of our relatives appeared, more arrived with chicken wings and nachos + dip from Diversions for us to eat. It was initially intended to last throughout the movie, but we wound up eating everything before it even started LOL.

16532612511_6bd6db7303_b.jpg

After the movie, it was pretty late, so everyone headed back to their room to hit the hay. Completely exhausted from my very eventful day, I drifted off to sleep~

End of Day 3

HI all!

Sarah ~ nice to see you back here!:D Loving your pictures as usual. Tracy Arm is so beautiful & you were so lucky to see all those seals.

Does your family have their next cruise planned yet?

I just have 5 more sleeps until we sail around Cuba. So looking forward to getting away from these -20C days!

~ Jo ~ :)

HI all!

Sarah ~ nice to see you back here!:D Loving your pictures as usual. Tracy Arm is so beautiful & you were so lucky to see all those seals.

Does your family have their next cruise planned yet?

I just have 5 more sleeps until we sail around Cuba. So looking forward to getting away from these -20C days!

~ Jo ~ :)

Hi Jo! :)

Hehe thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying them~ Yeah, the weather and the seals really enhanced the experience!

Well, tentatively, my parents are going to be going on a cruise without us kids (sigh LOL) and we may be planning a family one in August ^^

Wow that's amazing! Have a great trip! (Although you're probably back or other there right now haha)

Wow! Love your trip report! We are hoping to book Disney Wonder - Alaska for Aug 2016. :):):)

I know that the highlight of the cruise should be Alaska, but my daughter is crazy about Frozen. What activity do they have that are Frozen themed?

Thanks! :)

Thanks! :D Oo that sounds great ^^~

LOL well, there's their Frozen character meet and greet? It's just like, a picture and maybe signing + interacting with them for a bit. They seemed like ... a rare species that didn't roam the ship, but just appeared in exclusive locations o_o They have a kid's menu that is Frozen themed that she might want to keep too! :D They also played the movie a few times in theatre, other than those, I didn't see too many of them ^^"

Wow! Love your trip report! We are hoping to book Disney Wonder - Alaska for Aug 2016. :):):)

I know that the highlight of the cruise should be Alaska, but my daughter is crazy about Frozen. What activity do they have that are Frozen themed?

Thanks! :)

There's a new frozen event coming to Alaskan cruises this year. Since they haven't started yet there's not much info. I wonder if this event will replace the Pixar/Pirate party.

Thanks! :D Oo that sounds great ^^~

LOL well, there's their Frozen character meet and greet? It's just like, a picture and maybe signing + interacting with them for a bit. They seemed like ... a rare species that didn't roam the ship, but just appeared in exclusive locations o_o They have a kid's menu that is Frozen themed that she might want to keep too! :D They also played the movie a few times in theatre, other than those, I didn't see too many of them ^^"

Thanks for the info. :)

Really? That sounds great, I love Frozen LOL :D

This is from the Disney Park blogs. I haven't heard much else though.

"A Day of Frozen Fun, Including New Deck Party

Debuting this summer, on select Disney Magic and Disney Wonder sailings to Europe and Alaska, Disney Cruise Line guests are transported to the land of “Frozen” when the ship is transformed into a winter wonderland and a day of frozen fun culminates with an extravagant celebration with friends from the Kingdom of Arendelle. The deck party, “Freezing the Night Away with Anna, Elsa and Friends,” is a family-friendly interactive celebration featuring the famous royal sisters and their fun-loving Nordic companions."

Debuting this summer, on select Disney Magic and Disney Wonder sailings to Europe and Alaska, Disney Cruise Line guests are transported to the land of “Frozen” when the ship is transformed into a winter wonderland and a day of frozen fun culminates with an extravagant celebration with friends from the Kingdom of Arendelle. The deck party, “Freezing the Night Away with Anna, Elsa and Friends,” is a family-friendly interactive celebration featuring the famous royal sisters and their fun-loving Nordic companions."

Thank you, awesome news! :D

Frozen and Alaska sounds like a perfect combination... I really hope they release the Summer 2016 itineraries soon. :)

Wow that's sounds great!! I feel like I'd like that more that the Pixar Pals Party they had going on, and it sounds like it's going to include such festivities throughout the entire day and not just after the show/dinner! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, Sarah, for taking the time to post such details about this Alaska cruise - and also your previous cruise aboard the Queen Elizabeth, one of my favourite ships.

I am happy you included some photos of the interior of the Vancouver cruise terminal. I have visited the hotel and seen several ships depart from there, but have never been in the terminal. We are taking an Alaska cruise in May on Holland America. We are familiar with Vancouver and the transportation by air, rail, taxi, etc. I have a question that Translink has not been able to answer. On my last visit to Vancouver I noticed that ticket gates had been installed in Skytrain stations but not yet in use. Notices say they will be activated at a future date. On their Website, Translink does not say when.

If we come in from the airport by Skytrain and take the route you did to the Pan Pacific Hotel (we are staying two days before the cruise) we may not be able to get through the second station without a ticket or electronic pass. Have you heard when the gates will be in use? If they are in use when we get there it may be easier for us to go outside the Waterfront Station and simply walk to the hotel.

Many thanks,

David

Thank you, Sarah, for taking the time to post such details about this Alaska cruise - and also your previous cruise aboard the Queen Elizabeth, one of my favourite ships.

I am happy you included some photos of the interior of the Vancouver cruise terminal. I have visited the hotel and seen several ships depart from there, but have never been in the terminal. We are taking an Alaska cruise in May on Holland America. We are familiar with Vancouver and the transportation by air, rail, taxi, etc. I have a question that Translink has not been able to answer. On my last visit to Vancouver I noticed that ticket gates had been installed in Skytrain stations but not yet in use. Notices say they will be activated at a future date. On their Website, Translink does not say when.

If we come in from the airport by Skytrain and take the route you did to the Pan Pacific Hotel (we are staying two days before the cruise) we may not be able to get through the second station without a ticket or electronic pass. Have you heard when the gates will be in use? If they are in use when we get there it may be easier for us to go outside the Waterfront Station and simply walk to the hotel.

Many thanks,

David

Hi David!

Haha you're welcome :) Thanks for reading!

Well around the entire lower mainland, there isn't a single gate in use. We've kind of just gotten used to it LOL. && If you're taking the Skytrain, your ticket should still be valid anyways, right? With that ticket, just hold onto it if you're going to take the same route as me (just in case there's a ticket check, if you get caught riding the trains or in a fare-paid zone without a ticket, you'll get fined), you should be fine!

Cheers,

Hi David!

Haha you're welcome :) Thanks for reading!

Well around the entire lower mainland, there isn't a single gate in use. We've kind of just gotten used to it LOL. && If you're taking the Skytrain, your ticket should still be valid anyways, right? With that ticket, just hold onto it if you're going to take the same route as me (just in case there's a ticket check, if you get caught riding the trains or in a fare-paid zone without a ticket, you'll get fined), you should be fine!

Cheers,

Thanks, Sarah. I forgot about the 90-minute validity in any direction on a single fare :o. We may buy day passes for the two days we are there and that won't be an issue.

Best regards,

David

Thanks, Sarah. I forgot about the 90-minute validity in any direction on a single fare :o. We may buy day passes for the two days we are there and that won't be an issue.

Best regards,

David

No problem, David :D Yeah, the tickets are valid long enough for you to basically complete your trip plus some more extra time. Day passes are like 9 dollars, so if you're planning on jumping on and off of transit frequently throughout the day, it's definitely a good idea. (The zone system is simple really. Moving within the zone you are currently in as well as one zone away = 1 Zone ($1.75) Moving two zones away = 2 Zone ($2.75). If you aren't moving away from the Richmond-Vancouver-Burnaby-Surrey area, you won't need more than a 2 Zone. Day passes are (I believe) all zones if I'm not mistaken. They cost like $9, so make sure you're actually saving money considering the number of times you're probably going to use the train!

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

HI Do you know if the stores had pin trading books? OR was it just that book outside of preludes you posted a photo of one night? And was there a captain pin trading night? how was the kids club space for younger ones (age 7) this boat seems older and smaller then the fantasy....

HI Do you know if the stores had pin trading books? OR was it just that book outside of preludes you posted a photo of one night? And was there a captain pin trading night? how was the kids club space for younger ones (age 7) this boat seems older and smaller then the fantasy....

Hi! Unfortunately, since I personally am not much of a pin trader, I did not look for pin trading books, so I wouldn't know. The only instances of pin trading I noticed were those which randomly appeared in front of the gift shops (the picture you're referring to) and occasionally at the Disney Vacation's Club desk by the atrium. I actually do have pictures of the kids clubs because I specifically made a trip to their open hours to take pictures for you all! I don't remember which day I went, but it'll show up!

Day 4: Skagway

Thursday, August 21, 2014 : Cruise Casual

Okay, so my day started out a little hectic- let me explain. I woke up at around 11am and vaguely remembered my dad saying something about getting off at the port together (I was half-asleep). I also recalled last night’s conversation amongst my relatives that we would be getting off the ship together at around 11am. Frantically, I got ready (since amongst the 3 of us, I was the only one who was getting off at Skagway. My siblings and I had agreed that we weren’t too nuts about the port, but I wanted pictures of the port, as well as my relatives) grabbed the key cards on the desk and rushed outside. I looked at the time and it was around 10 minutes past 11. I knocked on my parent’s door multiple times, but to no avail. I called out to them and pressed my ear against it to listen for any signs of life. Nothing.

At this point, many possible scenarios started crossing my mind. Could they have left already to meet up with everybody else at the atrium? If they were in there, there should be some noises, right? And I knocked so many times, for a good minute too! I decided that chances were, in my half-asleep-ness, they might have said something like “Meet you in the atrium to leave together!” or something. I dashed downstairs and looked around. Lined up and on their way out of the gangway were my relatives.

o-o!!! //gasps// they’re already leaving?? (well, okay I guess it makes sense since it’s 15 past 11…) I rush downstairs to the gangway and wait near the door area. I pace frantically back and forth- expecting my parents to show up any minute. A minute passes, then another. Now I start to get nervous.

//Many panicked thoughts start running through my head// What if my parents aren’t even coming here? Then I should be with my relatives! But the distance between us is quickly growing, even with my uncle slowly pushing my grandma in her wheelchair. WHAT DO I DO I CAN’T GO OFF ON MY OWN ;___; cries. After a while, I decide that I’m better off joining my relatives than blindly waiting by the gangway all by myself (with no guarantee that my parents are even coming). I run over to the card beeper to exit the ship, when suddenly the alarm buzzes and the staff stops me. “Uhm excuse me, sorry but … you aren’t allowed to get off the ship on your own”. o_o … HUH?? EXCUSE ME WHY ((looks out the door and sees my relatives getting REALLY far away)) SCREAMS. “WHY SIR WHY I’M EIGHTEEN I CAN GET OFF WHENEVER I WANT” ;____; //panicking as they get farther and farther away//. “Uhm, that’s not what it says here…” o-o!!! I lean over and look at the picture displayed in front of him. It’s my sister. My sister who is sixteen, and therefore, not allowed to exit the ship by herself. Oh dear.

AAAHHHHHH >_<, ((imagine me freaking out like a cartoon character grabbing her head and screaming)) THIS IS SIS’S CARD WUT WAT OH.MY.GOSH. //dramatically collapses to the ground//. ;___; The image of me grabbing the wrong card off of the vanity crosses my mind. TT-TT ((TEARS EVERYWHERE)) I bleakly look at my group of relatives growing further and further away (dramatically reaches out to them D,: don’t go!!).

Literally, this was where I was vs. where they were.

16948102061_5c915e48b7_b.jpg

I frantically rummaged through my camera bag in one last attempt at a miracle and feel something hard and plastic in my SD card pocket. O_O!!!! MY CARD!! I whip it out, stuff my sister’s card into the pocket and dash over to the staff managing the gangway. “HERE, HERE’S MY CARD SCAN IT SCAN IT HURRY THEY’RE GETTING AWAY AAGHHH” o_o??? *scans it* -bye? I dash off the plank, scurry down the ramp and literally book it to shore. I ran like there was no tomorrow. (I’m sure there were people staring at me like girl, there is no rush, the port isn’t going anywhere >_> LOL) I ran as fast as I could to catch up to them, and as I scurried under some large structure, I was brought to a sudden and unexpected halt. 0_0 my sibling-duo cousins, lagging behind the big group and taking ship pictures! They both were surprised when they noticed me and said that they didn’t know I was coming too. I just smiled (breathing heavily LOL) and said that indeed I was. (I feel tired just writing this and remembering what happened LOL)

This was basically the point in which I caught up to them hehe ^^ (continued from the earlier picture, keep walking down that path and turning at where I took the picture from)

16761502480_1e35f046bd_b.jpg

So apparently my parents were just slow, someone was out of the room and someone else was in the bathroom so nobody heard me and I was ignored -_-. They allegedly came downstairs and saw me running after my relatives from out the window, so they were like “oh. there’s my kid. Ok.” LOL (yeah I got lectured afterwards about how ‘what if they didn’t see me and thought their kid was missing and searched the entire port looking for me’. Goes without saying I got in trouble .___.)

Anyways, happy thoughts, happy thoughts ^^”! I slowly made my way to Skagway with my cousins and took several pictures on the way there.

16762744049_9e687f23be_b.jpg

16923016246_39222bf013_b.jpg

On this day, Holland America’s Oosterdam and the Grand Princess were docked as well!

16328896973_61d09aa992_b.jpg

But of course, our ship looked the liveliest! ^^

16761519720_c4e4d2f604_b.jpg

16923030046_64480a85ef_b.jpg

16741628527_0e087cdf22_b.jpg

16326599114_c7edcd9ee1_b.jpg

As we took pictures, one of my cousins told us to hurry along because the group was getting a little far away (they kind of stopped and waited for us to catch up)

16761523230_e8aa99e2c1_b.jpg

(You can see my oldest cousin all the way to the left!)

16948029811_70d05114a5_b.jpg

Finally caught up to everyone!

16741635437_d73d31f3b7_b.jpg

16741635867_151f38a03d_b.jpg

16947676722_371b047e9a_b.jpg

On the way there, we saw a train and took some pictures with it

16326607924_99bf33fef4_b.jpg

As we approached the town, my oldest cousin suddenly freaked out because the thought a bug got in her mouth. We thought it was hilarious, but reassured her that even if that were the case, bugs are protein LOL. :,D

16948998215_53e14d5882_b.jpg

16762785619_59aa27d54b_b.jpg

16761313778_46bc6f4e78_b.jpg