Selling clothing on Ebay?

judy&steve

I think I'm at a point now where I need to sell my plus size clothing. I am considering Ebay, but I don't have any experience with it. Have any of you ever tried? I actually have a double closet FULL of almost or brand new plus size clothing (Lauren by Ralph Lauren, Democracy, Alnoral, David Dart, Talbot's Woman, etc) that I would like to sell. I have dealt with consignment stores in the past and really don't trust them too much. I am NOT trying to sell anything on this board; I just need some advice from any of you who may have had some good/bad/ugly Ebay experiences!

Thanks you --

Judy

I have two pieces of advice: always post a picture of anything that you're trying to sell. Auctions with photos are far likelier to receive bids. Second, if you haven't done so already, open a PayPal account. PayPal makes it super-convenient for purchasers to submit payment, allowing them to bypass writing a check or buying a money order. PayPal also expedites the transaction because you will receive payment confirmation almost immediately, which allows you to mail out the goods sooner. Other than that, good luck!

I think I'm at a point now where I need to sell my plus size clothing. I am considering Ebay, but I don't have any experience with it. Have any of you ever tried? I actually have a double closet FULL of almost or brand new plus size clothing (Lauren by Ralph Lauren, Democracy, Alnoral, David Dart, Talbot's Woman, etc) that I would like to sell. I have dealt with consignment stores in the past and really don't trust them too much. I am NOT trying to sell anything on this board; I just need some advice from any of you who may have had some good/bad/ugly Ebay experiences!

Thanks you --

Judy

When I lost my weight, I sold quite a lot on EBAY. Same thing with my husband's clothing (we lost weight together). Be sure to add a good picture, measurements (have handy if you don't want to post to each items description) and accept Paypal. The Plus clothing sold like hot cakes. The biggest item we found were my husband's medical scrubs in XXL and XL. I also found the people that bought my clothing always paid on time and were very easy to deal with. Good luck!

I've sold a few things on Ebay and confirm what the others have said.

Open a paypal account, post good photo's and give excellent descriptions. Also, note any flaws - if you don't, and someone buys something w/ a flaw that wasn't disclosed, they'll give you a bad rating.

Do you already have an Ebay account? If you don't, you should open one and buy a few things.....even a book. People are nervous about buying from someone with no history.

Ebay has a list of tips for sellers. Read them thoroughly before posting your items.

Good luck and congrats on the weight loss.

Jane

Thanks to all of you who answered my question.

I have actually purchased some books through half.com so I have an Ebay account. I'll do a PayPal account as well. It's a shame about the consignment stores, though. It would be so much easier if I felt like they weren't cheating me:( I do have some beautiful things that have hardly been worn and I realize they aren't getting any newer the longer they hang in the guestroom closet.

Thanks again. I'll start taking digital photos over the next few days.

Judy

I must agree with the others. Selling clothes on Ebay is a great way to clean out the closet and get a nice return.

What has always helped me is putting down measurements, as stated prior. If you put down the size along with the actual length/width or what not, it will help those who are interested in bidding know if the item will fit properly or not. So many clothing lines have different ideas of small, medium and large :p

Best wishes!

~e

Hi Judy,

Would you mind sharing your experience with consignment shops?

I've actually been thinking about trying consignment because I was under the impression that you make much less on ebay. I've sold quite a bit on ebay, and, frankly, there's so much "competition" that the selling prices are quite low, then there's listing fees, sale fees, and paypal fees.

How does the consignment thing work, and how come you feel like your getting cheated? Just curious! I'd love to know...

take care,

Melissa :)

Hi Melissa,

I took a lot of pieces to a local consignment shop a couple of years ago. They were happy to take everything and told me they would welcome more things in the future. I didn't get an accounting of what they took and I had no idea what they were going to charge. I felt uneasy about this because. I just left all of the clothing and was to wait for a check at the end of the season. I probably left over a dozen very good pieces and at the end of the season they sent me a check for $64. Their deal was 50-50. I had no control of the price and if and when it went on sale. So, I got $64 for a lot of really good things and the store got who knows what. There were no computers, no list of what I gave them. It was blind faith and I wouldn't do it again. I would rather donate to a charity and get the tax write-off.

I understand that a lot of the consignment places work this way. I understand that the clothing is of no use to me anymore and the customer will get the best deal if she knows what to look for. I felt really cheated and violated. I was not under the impression that I would get a lot of $$ for anything, but this was crazy.

The thing is, when I was 90 pounds heavier, I still bought the best things I could buy, because quality goods last longer than junky stuff. I have a couple of closets-full of my 50-75 pound loss wardrobe. I had to shop every couple of months for a year and a half. The things in my guest closet now are from the next-to-last round of shopping!

For anyone interested, I lost the weight by diet. I was warned by my endocrinologist that I was on the fast track to diabetes. She sent me to a dietician and I learned how to eat a different way (lots of small meals, no refined carbs, low fat, etc) The best compliment I ever get is from people who haven't seen me in a while and once they recognize me they ask if I have had gastric bypass! And, as far as eating on a ship -- I pretty much don't eat anything except unsauced meat or fish, fruit, nuts, cheese. I am really careful. Mostly the high fat content in prepared foods just doesn't agree with me anymore.

--Judy

Hi Judy,

I've actually been thinking about trying consignment because I was under the impression that you make much less on ebay. I've sold quite a bit on ebay, and, frankly, there's so much "competition" that the selling prices are quite low, then there's listing fees, sale fees, and paypal fees.

How does the consignment thing work, and how come you feel like your getting cheated? Just curious! I'd love to know...

take care,

Many people think it's free to sell on eBay, and they don't know that there is a fee for putting up an item. I use eBay.ca, which is in Canadian currency, however the point still remains the same, there are fees. For instance, the lowest fee for eBay.ca is $0.30, which is for a basic item under $1.00. Once the starting price of the item goes up, the fee does as well. Also, there are fees for multiple pictures done with eBay, having a gallery photo (photo shows up in the eBay search), and other small extras like that.

People tend to go to the "gallery photo" auctions more. I suggest spending the ($0.25 charge?) for it. I also suggest making a fixed shipping price, which makes it easier for the buyer. If you are in a hurry to sell them, then you can put them up normally. However if you can wait, there are special "seller days", where sellers get discounts on the fees and that kind of stuff.

Hope this helps.

Hi Judy,

take care,

Melissa,

Judy dealt with either a dishonest or simply sloppy consignment shop (sloppy in terms of paperwork & record keeping).

I have a friend who always gives her stuff to consignment shops. The deal is 50-50. My friend gets a printed sheet of items given and the shop owner tells her what she think she can get for an item within a range. Then when it's sold, she gets an itemized accounting. If an item doesn't sell in a given time period, the shop owner suggests lowering the price a lot or my friend takes it back - it's my friend's choice.

Jane

I just had to throw my 2 cents in.

In Scottsdale, there are three consignment stores with designer and better clothes. All of them give you an accounting of the clothes you bring in. Two of them do not let you know what the clothes will bring, do not notify you if your clothes do not sell. They either reduce them to the $1.00 rack or give them to a charity. The checks are VERY small. The third doesn't even give you a check. You have to use your "money" at their store AND within 90 days after they credit your acccount. The percentage is larger at the third store, but it is over 100 miles from my house and I have twice lost money by not being able to go shopping within their 90 day period. No more consignment shops for me.

Sell them on Ebay. Much easier (you don't have to leave home). Yes, there are fees, but all together, on a $100.00 item, you should spend about $10.00 in Ebay fees for pictures, listing, and final value fees. That does not include the fees Paypal charges. You will need a Premier or Business PayPal account if you intend to accept credit cards. The regular basic account will not let you accept credit cards. You are charged the bank fees for PayPal (2-3%) and there is a minor PayPal fee. On the above mentioned $100.00 item, it should be about $11.50. $80.00 in your pocket is still a lot better than $50.00 from a consignment shop.

I sell clothes on Ebay as well and agree with everything that has been stated. Its a great way to empty the closet and make room for more clothes. I am about to place some items myself from my daughter and myself. It would be nice if we could post our items here but CC would not allow that.

Thanks again for all the great advice and tips! I knew about the fees for Ebay and PayPal.

Now, I am taking photos of everything and documenting measurements, fabrications including laundering instructions in a spreadsheet. This is going to turn into quite a project, but I think it will be worth it and great experience for me.

You guys are the best!:D

Jane -- I agree that my consignment shop was far from good. Evidently, that's the way it works around here in Baltimore. It seems like the people who run these shops just need some tags and a pen. And a cash box! They don't use computers and would just assume never to see you in the store once the garments are on the selling floor.

My friend used to have a store where they bought outright children's clothing and turned around and resold it. It was good for everybody. The seller got a fair price for their unneeded kids clothes and the next buyer got a good buy on slightly used and clean stuff! I would like to see something like that for adult clothing.

Judy

thanks again -- Judy

I sold some of my cruise dresses on Ebay last year after our first cruise. I did have gatric bypass surgery (down 127lbs) and knew I would never use them again. Had good and bad luck. Had to sell one a couple of times. Make it very clear in your add that you are just a private citizen selling these clothes. You are not a store and will not accept returns. Had someone upset because they were the high bidder but didn't want it if I wouldn't take it back if it didn't fit. But, overall it was good. :) Oh, I agree with everybody else. Take good pictures. I don't even look at adds without pictures. I'm sure you wouldn't buy something from the store just on the saleperson's description. :D

I also sell on ebay and advise that if you are going to set finite shipping costs, be sure you know how much it's going to cost to ship. I thought I had the shipping costs down to a science, then I shipped a heavy item and misquoted the shipping costs by $20. I lost my entire profit on the item, essentially I gave it away plus my time and effort to ship it. So be sure you know how much the item is going to cost to ship otherwise go with the shipping calcator feature. It was a very expensive lesson I learned. Also, make sure you state that you don't ship to PO Boxes unless you want to use the USPS. UPS/Fed Ex do not take PO Box addresses. Learned that one the hard way too. Happy Sailing!

I've been selling on e-bay for about 6 months now. But I just put up some clothes for the first time today. One is a formal maternity dress, so I hope that one sells, not planning on wearing that one again. The other is a cocktail dress I bought when I was about 10 lbs heavier. Not sure if they will sell.

Most of the stuff I've sold is Gone With The Wind collectors plates and Civil War Collectors plates. Those sold pretty well, though. I averaged about $25 each plate, but I think they sold for $30 new. I've become more of a minimulist in my home decorating style, so I am getting rid of a lot of knick nacks.

One thing to do is when you are trying to decide how much to sell your clothe is to always do a search for finished items in the category your are selling. That will give you a good idea of what you might get. Sometimes whole collections of clothes sell only for $10 or $15. But you know it is better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Good point about doing research for starting price first. Also, timing is everything. I have a Brighton item I want to list but right now there are too many identical items listed so they are going for alot less than it was earlier this year so I'm waiting until I have less competition. Maybe closer to Xmas as this item would be great as a gift. Happy Sailing!

I love selling on eBay. When I go to the store like Field's or Bloomingdale's, I try and look for really cheap items that are not my size to sell on eBay. For example, two weeks ago I sold a pair of Callaway Golf pants that were size 40 x 34 for only $4.99 at Bloomingdale's and I sold them on eBay for $19.50 plus shipping. I also sold used clothing, people will bid on it no doubt.

1) Open up a PayPal account for easy payments.

2) Include details about the item.

3) Attach a picture or pictures.

4) Specify NO RETURNS!

5) Get a shipping quote from usps.com, ups.com, or fedex.com. ALWAYS overestimate the shipping weight because you need to add in the tissue paper, peanuts, box weight, etc....

6) Also specify you are not responsible for lost packages in the mail!

GOOD LUCK!!!

-Chris

It seems like consignment stores would be fighting to have your stuff, there's never enough quality plus-sized clothing. What they do have is normally cheap-looking and stretched out. Anyway, I got burned by a consignment store, too. I dropped off a bunch of clothing after it was inspected...I was supposed to check back in 30 days (this was about 6 years ago and was a reputable place, but reciepts were handwritten and there was no computer). When I went back the store was locked. I called, and waited, and it turned out the owner had left town for some reason and her brother gave everything to goodwill!! Good for goodwill I guess.

I have a bunch of designer clothing from my TV days that I probably won't fit into again, so maybe I'll go the e-bay route again, too. But I wonder if a size 2 would sell very well. Clearnace racks are full of 'em because hardly enyone who can afford Chanel wears a size 2:D . Of course there are those lucky exceptions...

Hi I recently purchased a lovely formal dress on ebay for 20 dollars. It's a perfect fit and is better than it was discribed. I also sell on ebay, and disagree with some here, about the No Return policy. I gladly accept returns, and have only had to refund someones purchase price twice. I have over 800 positive feedbacks, and have bought as much as I have sold.

Just list items, described to your best ability, measure every possible demention, and you will do well. Make sure you post pictures from several angles. Make sure to specify shipping charges include a handling charge, if your comfortable with that. I just charge exact shipping, usually Priority Mail, or Media Rate if a book. Have fun with it,

PS, I intend wearing the newly purchased dress on my first cruise, that leaves in thirteen days, and a wake up. Also start your auction at the minimum you would sell the item for. Then if you only get one bidder, you'r still doing ok.

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share a quick e-bay success story. I bought a pair of brand new with tags Gucci pants that were size 4 & out of season. I paid only $4.00. I waited for their season to roll around and re-sold them on e-bay for $90.00! I was soo excited. As already mentioned, make sure you have a good estimate of the shipping cost. It's not fun to underestimate and have it come out of your profit. I always add $1.30 to the shipping cost so I can track and confirm they received the package ok. It's not insurance, but I know when they receive it. Best of luck to you and congrats on your weight loss!

I love ebay. Just bought two new formal outfits and they fit beautifully. I ditto that it saves time to have the basic measurements in the description since I had to email one seller and wait for her reply before bidding.

Also put in the title the given size, like 18W or 22W. Can help people searching for a particular size range.

We also buy books at discount shops and sell on ebay but you need to really know your stuff because the market can change fast.

Take good pictures. If you want to sell a dress, make sure the picture is attractive.

You are sooo right. I think excellent pictures and description are what sells an item on ebay. I can't tell you how many times I have clicked on an item I'm considering for purchase, only to get a very poor picture - blurry, too far away from item, etc. As they say - a picture is worth a thousand words - especially on ebay! Happy Sailing!

Archived