Cabin-is being in the middle of the ship make a difference

Macktuttle

hi everybody

Almost ready to book our 4 day cruise in late feb from Miami, was wondering if the position of the cabin makes a big difference in terms of motion, is it really better being in the middle of the ship?

Will be an inside cabin,

Many thanks

C&L

For avoidance of motion sickness, the best location is in the middle on one of the lower decks - and yes, huge difference. Also you must have at least a window - when your eyes see what the body feels, you don't get sick. If you can afford it, don't stay in an inside cabin.

The voice of an experienced motion-sickness queen here - yes, it does make a difference to be in the middle of the ship. You don't get nearly the amount of movement, and the lower you can be, the better if you suffer as I do. I don't have a problem at all having an inside cabin - I find I am bothered more by seeing the horizon rise and fall with the movement of the ship. If I can't see what's going on, I feel much better. I still take Bonine (meclizine), but it's all about location, location, location!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

If the question is reduction of motion when the ship is pitching -- the bow and stern are going up and down -- yes the cabins amidships are the best. As has been said, think of a seesaw. There is the least motion in the center.

That being said, the most common "motion" is rolling -- when the ship rolls from side to side -- and being in the middle makes no difference since the "seesaw" has the sides of the ship on the ends and interior cabins along the centerline of the ship as the center of the seesaw. If you are prone to seasickness, being in an inside cabin is the biggest no-no of all!

Then let's talk about "as low as possible." That used to be correct, but really depends on the ship you are on these days. Decks around the main deck used to be just about at the level of the ship's Center of Motion -- which is what really matters -- but that was when ships did not have the massive superstructures that they now have. If we go back to the seesaw, the top deck is way above the actual center point of the seesaw, so it is going to move more than whatever deck is the equivalent of the center. Today's modern ships have many, many more decks that older ships, and that makes the entire equation much more complicated. The best deck is not the top deck, but not the lowest deck either. If you can guesstimate the middle of the ship from the keel to the top, that would be the best deck.

Since the most prevalent motion is rolling, being amidships is a bit overrated. It does help to eliminate pitching motion.

It is also good advice to have a window or balcony. You want to be able to see the horizon. Seasickness is caused by a conflict between the eyes' not seeing motion (if you are inside) and the inner ears' signals to the brain that you are indeed moving. So you need to have the eyes see the motion to eliminate the conflicting signals to your brain.

Although it does help a little, I can't say that I've noticed a massive difference one way or the other. I think whether you need a midship cabin like that depends very much on how sea sick you get and the route you are taking (some seas are super calm, some are very rough). I've cruised in the frontmost cabin on the second-to-top deck before, but it was such a quiet route that we noticed almost no movement!

Middle of the ship is good. Lower floors are just as good. Inside is good so you dont actually see the motion. Most people get seasick on any motion ride. Went to universal studios and did a ride where we actually did not move but the surroundings did. Started to get queezy looked at the floor of my car and it went away. Car was stationary. Same with ship room. Indoors you dont see that motion. Table away from window. That could do it also. Good luck

We found that the direction of the bed mattered... when my sister and I shared a cabin, our beds were at right angles... one 'across' the ship, one 'in line with' the ship.

She was seasick when across, but felt better almost immediately when she switched to the other bed. Don't know if head to the bow mattered or not.

hi everybody

Almost ready to book our 4 day cruise in late feb from Miami, was wondering if the position of the cabin makes a big difference in terms of motion, is it really better being in the middle of the ship?

Will be an inside cabin,

Many thanks

C&L

It absolutely makes a big difference. The middle doesn't move as much. You won't get that "sway" back and forth (or should I say up and down). I have personally found that the back of the ship is the worse (however I have read many people dislike the front of the ship the most, but we enjoyed the time we were on the very front). :)

Middle of the ship is good. Lower floors are just as good. Inside is good so you dont actually see the motion. Most people get seasick on any motion ride. Went to universal studios and did a ride where we actually did not move but the surroundings did. Started to get queezy looked at the floor of my car and it went away. Car was stationary. Same with ship room. Indoors you dont see that motion. Table away from window. That could do it also. Good luck

Bad advice. For most folks, it is the disconnect of inner ear motion with not seeing the actual motion that makes them queasy.

Most yacht sailors will agree that the last thing you want to do if you feel "seasick" is to go below. Watching the "moving" horizon coordinates your vision to your inner ear's experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

idk, it works for me. I did not say go below but the dining rooms are below so if there don't sit by the window.

Sorry but you're still missing my point (or I just wasn't very clear). If you have to go below (e.g., for dinner), and you feel a bit motion sick, you should sit by the window to let your eyes see the motion your ears feel.

That is also why an interior cabin with no windows is not a good idea for someone who experiences motion sickness.

All that said, big cruise ships with stabilizers have few motion issues for most people.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

hi everybody

Will be an inside cabin,

Many thanks

C&L

Does low middle mean less movement? Yes. However, it has been my experience that if the ship is rocking, the entire ship is rocking. So, does it make a big difference? Based on my experience - no.