4 nights in Stockholm - first time visitors!

was trying to respond to and thank PNW traveler but

response came up blank !!

think we have narrowed our choices to victory & scandic

did either of you (traveler & vineyard) choose the lower price

paying at booking ?? how many nights did you stay ??

did the elevator function ? we don't do stairs !:eek:

We used Scandic Star Solentula just a month ago. It is not in the centre of the city. You have to go by train and then by subway to get to Gamlastan. But it took us half an hour altogether as the public transport n Stockholm is very well organized. And the price was lower than in the Scandic located in the centre, so we decided that as we were staying for five days we would have enough time for a little trip like that. The hotel was very nice! Beautiful lobby, nice room, quite spacy. Breakfast was above all expectations. It was a buffet breakfast and you could not even taste everything that was offered. You can use a sauna there. Not that I liked it much but we thought that it was one of the local traditions, so we had to experience it. And the experience was quite interesting.

really looking forward to boats and ferries !!!

want to go on the boat for greater part of the day that goes along the archipelago !!;)

Yes, this too. We did not use this option, but I think a saw an add somewhere, that there is a HO-HO boat (same like a HO-HO bus - you get a day ticket and can hop on and off on different islands whenever you please). I do not know if it goes along the archipelago as well or only to the islands in the city, but you may check it.

We used Scandic Star Solentula just a month ago. It is not in the centre of the city. You have to go by train and then by subway to get to Gamlastan. But it took us half an hour altogether as the public transport n Stockholm is very well organized. And the price was lower than in the Scandic located in the centre, so we decided that as we were staying for five days we would have enough time for a little trip like that. The hotel was very nice! Beautiful lobby, nice room, quite spacy. Breakfast was above all expectations. It was a buffet breakfast and you could not even taste everything that was offered. You can use a sauna there. Not that I liked it much but we thought that it was one of the local traditions, so we had to experience it. And the experience was quite interesting.

sounds like you had a super experience at the scandic !! :)

were there elevators or escalators at train & subway stations -

we have a problem with stairs :eek: ???

Yes, this too. We did not use this option, but I think a saw an add somewhere, that there is a HO-HO boat (same like a HO-HO bus - you get a day ticket and can hop on and off on different islands whenever you please). I do not know if it goes along the archipelago as well or only to the islands in the city, but you may check it.

i believe it is a different boat but will try to experience as much of

the boats / ferries as possible - am thinking that is the way my ancestors

would have done it as there were no subways in the olden days !!!;)

Edited by loma linda ca a & j

The Ho-Ho boats just goes around the Stockholm harbour.

However Waxholmsbolaget also have Island Hopping but this requires quite allot of planning-

http://www.waxholmsbolaget.se/visitor/archipelago-traffic/island-hopping/

For a single destination, Möja is nice but is quite far out like many of the other destinations.

probably requires to stay over night for best experience.

Möja Tourist office is closed but they reply to emails the year around:

http://www.mojaturistinfo.se/

More destinations:

http://www.waxholmsbolaget.com/visitor/archipelago-traffic/destinations-and-day-trips/

http://www.visitskargarden.se/en/destinations/

We used Scandic Star Solentula just a month ago. It is not in the centre of the city. You have to go by train and then by subway to get to Gamlastan. .

Sollentuna yes, it is north of Stockholm. Mostly a residential area not much to see. Gives you less flexibility then staying in central Stockholm

and after a long day it would perhaps be nice not to have to go on a subway/commuter train to get the hotel.

sounds like you had a super experience at the scandic !! :)

were there elevators or escalators at train & subway stations -

we have a problem with stairs :eek: ???

Yes they have elevators that hotels and at all subway stations there are escalators and/or elevators. It is mandatory by law in the latter case.

Also all hotels have a breakfeast buffet in some form.

Edited by Desdichado62

am so relieved to know there are elev. or escal. at the subways !!!;)

am still undecided which to book - scandic gamla stan or victory !!!!

I have to correct myself, most subway stations have elevators and not all subway stations have elevators at all exits/entrances.

The info is only available in Swedish but go here: http://sl.se/sv/info/resa/tillganglighet/t-hissar/

for info about which subway stations that does not have elevators at all or not at all exits/entrances.