New Pre-Cruise activity

sharkaymon

We cruise in four days and this morning I started feeling "unwell"! Nothing specific, just not my usual self and my neighbor had a great suggestion. Emergen-C. She does this before every cruise because she has a fragile immune system and has to work hard to stay healthy.

She starts four or five days ahead of time and takes one packet a day, continuing all the way through the cruise.

Makes sense to me. Close contact on the flight, close contact with 3000+ people during the cruise=unfriendly germs.

Took my first packet today with plans for one a day until I get back.

Do you do any preventative treatments like this?

Sort of. It wasn't unusual for me to start having sinus issues leading up to any trip. A couple years ago, the light bulb finally went off in my head. I have dust allergies (like many people do), and I'm exposing myself to dust as I gather things (the non-clothes things) for the vacation that have been sitting in one spot for months. So I have started wearing a mask as I gather things for the trips, and make sure to wash my hands when I'm done. It has seemed to work great.

I've never tried that Emergen-c stuff, but I take an Ester C in the days leading up to a cruise, since it's my go-to vitamin when I am feeling sick. And I try to eat somewhat healthy in the days leading up to it; no eating out.

Edited by k2excursion

Not a bad idea at all to boost up that immune system/. Don't want to be sick while on vacation or in the aftermath. I know we always go so hard on our cruises I think our bodies let down afterwards just because of the extra on the go.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...

I am stocking up and decorating masks for our next cruise. We didn't get sick for 2 years beause of covid protection. We recently started watching 2 of our grandsons and right away caught a somach bug and then-and still have- a really rough cold. I'm seriously thinking of going back to masks but will decorate them for cruises and other special occassions

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vicky3vicky said:

I am stocking up and decorating masks for our next cruise.

If by doing so, that will make you feel more comfortable in traveling, good.  Not all of us, as I am sure you understand, feel the same way and for reasons that may be different from yours.  

• 4 weeks later...

My husband and I became hermits for about 3-4 weeks before our cruise in September. It was our first post-covid trip ANYWHERE and I was so anxious about that pre-cruise covid test. We wore n95 masks on the plane and during embarkation and switched to normal masks for the cruise (they were still required indoors then). I was SO DANG NERVOUS I'd test positive and miss my first vacation in 2 years that I got a little obsessive. 🤣

Husband came home with covid. 🤦‍♀️ 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2022 at 12:01 PM, bassmk said:

September. It was our first post-covid trip ANYWHERE and I was so anxious about that pre-cruise covid test

Me, too.   I told the DH if the nurse had also taken my blood pressure she would have said I was unfit to travel.  It is so nerve wracking.  I sure wish they would not test those of us who are fully boosted.  

be sure you wash your face when you wash your hands. 

Edited by Mary229

On 5/29/2022 at 12:20 PM, Mary229 said:

be sure you wash your face when you wash your hands. 

VERY good point. I'm hoping the testing requirements change, too. Eventually they will, and for now? Ehhh...even the risk of getting covid is one I'm willing to take so I can go on vacation. That's how cooped up I feel. 🤣

And I was a hard-core rule follower for the first 20-24 months of the pandemic! But I guess everyone has their breaking point.

15 minutes ago, bassmk said:

VERY good point. I'm hoping the testing requirements change, too. Eventually they will, and for now? Ehhh...even the risk of getting covid is one I'm willing to take so I can go on vacation. That's how cooped up I feel. 🤣

And I was a hard-core rule follower for the first 20-24 months of the pandemic! But I guess everyone has their breaking point.

I think many of the rules are malarkey but if a private business owner says no shoes, no service I follow the rules.   I took a relative to the clinic today and had three medical professionals shake my hand and never washed theirs.  I pulled out the hand sanitizer and sanitized - that has always been my habit particularly in a medical setting.  It is just a good practice.  

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I think many of the rules are malarkey but if a private business owner says no shoes, no service I follow the rules.   I took a relative to the clinic today and had three medical professionals shake my hand and never washed theirs.  I pulled out the hand sanitizer and sanitized - that has always been my habit particularly in a medical setting.  It is just a good practice.  

Most of the rules were common sense/good practice things anyway. I never minded wearing a mask...I tend to want to disappear in public anyway, so I didn't mind the bonus effect of a bit of anonymity. 

And if a doctor doesn't "foam in/foam out" at the door, you should definitely say something at the reception desk. That's a big thing for clinical settings. It ties into reimbursements and other reporting things, and that doctor should get a gentle reminder from their colleagues! (Also never feel shy about asking for that...no doctor worth a damn would argue!)