Wharf extension OPT

[quote name='cruisine21']We are on the Carnival Spirit next month. If we are boarding at the OPT are passengers still able to be dropped off and picked up?[/quote]

As of today all private pick ups, that is family or friends etc, will be directed to a section of Hixon Road just behind Campbells Cove where a section of the street will be barricaded off to allow pick ups. Pre Booked shuttle buses and cars will still be able to pick up at the old location on Circular Quay West.

Oops:o just realized I do not know if drop offs will be allowed but I think the same will apply. I was upstairs all day doing checking in and did not see, but I will confirm.

These changes will apply for the rest of the cruise season ( or until they finish the terminal...which ever comes first:confused: but could vary depending on circumstances.;

[quote name='gbenjo']As of today all private pick ups, that is family or friends etc, will be directed to a section of Hixon Road just behind Campbells Cove where a section of the street will be barricaded off to allow pick ups. Pre Booked shuttle buses and cars will still be able to pick up at the old location on Circular Quay West.

Oops:o just realized I do not know if drop offs will be allowed but I think the same will apply. I was upstairs all day doing checking in and did not see, but I will confirm.

These changes will apply for the rest of the cruise season ( or until they finish the terminal...which ever comes first:confused: but could vary depending on circumstances.;[/quote]

Thankyou

I got off Celebrity Solstice yesterday..the cruise was fine..however disembarkation was total chaos. Not enough porters or trolleys, road closed except for buses, half was sent out one door and half out another. Disabled passengers stranded outside terminal unable to meet up with pre arranged transfers, wheel chairs everywhere. Broken pavements hard to drag our heavy cases up to Hickson Rd. Not entirely the fault of the cruise line but some warning of the extent of the changed arrangements would have been helpful...so that we could have made appropriate arrangements for the pickup.

I'm glad we are going to have a decent terminal to welcome visitors but they have to get something sorted properly while it's under construction.

Sue

[quote name='rugbypopsie']I got off Celebrity Solstice yesterday..the cruise was fine..however disembarkation was total chaos. Not enough porters or trolleys, road closed except for buses, half was sent out one door and half out another. Disabled passengers stranded outside terminal unable to meet up with pre arranged transfers, wheel chairs everywhere. Broken pavements hard to drag our heavy cases up to Hickson Rd. Not entirely the fault of the cruise line but some warning of the extent of the changed arrangements would have been helpful...so that we could have made appropriate arrangements for the pickup.

I'm glad we are going to have a decent terminal to welcome visitors but they have to get something sorted properly while it's under construction.

Sue[/quote]

You are right Sue, it was a "bit" of a mess yesterday but to be fair Celebrity would not have had enough time to contact many people about the change of pick up points,we only found out about it ourselves yesterday. The situation at the OPT is changing almost daily at the moment and unfortunately we are just going to have to live with it till the reno finishes.
There has never been any luggage trolleys at the OPT due to a couple of reasons, space and safety and having only a limited number of porters available does not help. With repositioning cruises (as yours was) there is always a lot, lot more luggage and for some unknown reason the Solstice always seems to create the biggest dramas.
The Hickson road pick up point will be used until the the works are finished and hopefully after some fine tuning the system may work a little better but Sydney Ports cannot do much about the condition of the footpaths between the terminal and Hickson Road.

[quote name='gbenjo']You are right Sue, it was a "bit" of a mess yesterday but to be fair Celebrity would not have had enough time to contact many people about the change of pick up points,we only found out about it ourselves yesterday. The situation at the OPT is changing almost daily at the moment and unfortunately we are just going to have to live with it till the reno finishes.
There has never been any luggage trolleys at the OPT due to a couple of reasons, space and safety and having only a limited number of porters available does not help. With repositioning cruises (as yours was) there is always a lot, lot more luggage and for some unknown reason the Solstice always seems to create the biggest dramas.
The Hickson road pick up point will be used until the the works are finished and hopefully after some fine tuning the system may work a little better but Sydney Ports cannot do much about the condition of the footpaths between the terminal and Hickson Road.[/quote]

G'day gbenjo

Where abouts on Hickson road is the pickup. someone told me it was near the corner of George St someone else said it waqs down near the Hyatt.

Perhaps some of those sitting on arses up and down George Street wanting handouts might think about getting down to OPT and pulling a few suitcases for a few bucks...just a thought.

By the way only buses were being allowed in normal pickup area no prebooked transfers by small van or car that I saw...mass confusion everywhere.

Sue

[quote name='rugbypopsie']I got off Celebrity Solstice yesterday..the cruise was fine..however disembarkation was total chaos. Not enough porters or trolleys, road closed except for buses, half was sent out one door and half out another. Disabled passengers stranded outside terminal unable to meet up with pre arranged transfers, wheel chairs everywhere. Broken pavements hard to drag our heavy cases up to Hickson Rd. Not entirely the fault of the cruise line but some warning of the extent of the changed arrangements would have been helpful...so that we could have made appropriate arrangements for the pickup.

Sue[/QUOTE]

Welcome back Sue, glad your cruise was good but sorry the chaos of disembarkation has put a damper on the trip.

[quote name='rugbypopsie']Perhaps some of those sitting on arses up and down George Street wanting handouts might think about getting down to OPT and pulling a few suitcases for a few bucks...just a thought.

By the way only buses were being allowed in normal pickup area no prebooked transfers by small van or car that I saw...mass confusion everywhere.

Sue[/QUOTE]

I have already flagged a similar proposal as a entrepreneurial business opportunity for someone.:D Edited by MicCanberra

[quote name='rugbypopsie']Perhaps some of those sitting on arses up and down George Street wanting handouts might think about getting down to OPT and pulling a few suitcases for a few bucks...just a thought.

Sue[/quote]

As far as we were told prebooked shuttle buses and cars/limos were able to pick up from the terminal. I will ask again on Sunday.

[quote name='GUT2407']G'day gbenjo

Where abouts on Hickson road is the pickup. someone told me it was near the corner of George St someone else said it waqs down near the Hyatt.[/quote]

The pick up area is between the Northern end of the terminal where the upper level road for taxis to enter and leave the terminal is and the Park Hyatt.

[quote name='gbenjo']The pick up area is between the Northern end of the terminal where the upper level road for taxis to enter and leave the terminal is and the Park Hyatt.[/quote]

Thanks mate, that's not too far then.

[quote name='gbenjo']As far as we were told prebooked shuttle buses and cars/limos were able to pick up from the terminal. I will ask again on Sunday.[/QUOTE]

Yes ask again, I had to hang around for about an hour as our pickup got a flat tyre. No sign of any limos or vans, just Murrays buses and ships transfer buses.

Everyone else was being directed elsewhere..

No damper for me any day at sea is great! Just thought I should share the info.

Sue

[quote name='gbenjo']The pick up area is between the Northern end of the terminal where the upper level road for taxis to enter and leave the terminal is and the Park Hyatt.[/quote]

Hi Graham
Have you checked as to whether the drop off area is also there?

I work for a worldwide travel wholesaler that books private transfers. Yesterday, we received several calls from US and UK pax off Solstice who missed their transfers as they did not know that the drivers were down in Hickson Road - the drivers were not allowed to leave their vehicles unattended for very long. By the time pax gave up waiting and called us , the drivers had already gone (they wait 45mins). Not a nice welcome to Sydney for them.

it would be good to have a sign or better still, a person directing prebooked transfer passengers to the areas where the vehicles are.

[quote name='timtam2']I work for a worldwide travel wholesaler that books private transfers. Yesterday, we received several calls from US and UK pax off Solstice who missed their transfers as they did not know that the drivers were down in Hickson Road - the drivers were not allowed to leave their vehicles unattended for very long. By the time pax gave up waiting and called us , the drivers had already gone (they wait 45mins). Not a nice welcome to Sydney for them.

it would be good to have a sign or better still, a person directing prebooked transfer passengers to the areas where the vehicles are.[/QUOTE]

As I said earlier, we ( shoreside services staff)were told that pre booked pickups i.e. limo's, shuttles etc were able to pick up from the OPT and family and friends type pick ups were in Hixon Road so maybe there was a mix up with the security and traffic control people. There were also quite a few of our staff stationed along the street outside the terminal directing passengers but I guess they would not have known if the pick up drivers were not being let in Edited by gbenjo

[quote name='gbenjo']As I said earlier, we ( shoreside services staff)were told that pre booked pickups i.e. limo's, shuttles etc were able to pick up from the OPT and family and friends type pick ups were in Hixon Road so maybe there was a mix up with the security and traffic control people. There were also quite a few of our staff stationed along the street outside the terminal directing passengers but I guess they would not have known if the pick up drivers were not being let in[/QUOTE]

I just hope it gets sorted for the next cruise, so that it will run a bit smoother for all concerned.:D

[quote name='MicCanberra']I just hope it gets sorted for the next cruise, so that it will run a bit smoother for all concerned.:D[/quote]

Yes it will be "interesting" tomorrow with the Solstice's first White Bay check in turnaround but I think with all the planning involved it should be OK:confused:
The fear of the unknown will no longer exist after tomorrow:D

With all these changes, I think I was very lucky to transit the OPT in August . The in/out process :) was handled very well by everyone with whom I had contact. I said to one Graham , who was pointing passengers to the individual customs desk people , are you Benjo ? he looked at me strangely and said move to Desk 1 please . My memory of gbenjo's face must have failed me. Anyway kudos to the OPT check in people on that day , I thought they were very well organised.

[quote name='gbenjo']Yes it will be "interesting" tomorrow with the Solstice's first White Bay check in turnaround but I think with all the planning involved it should be OK:confused:
The fear of the unknown will no longer exist after tomorrow:D[/QUOTE]

yes, hope it all goes well.:D

[quote name='BuzzBuzzen']With all these changes, I think I was very lucky to transit the OPT in August . The in/out process :) was handled very well by everyone with whom I had contact. I said to one Graham , who was pointing passengers to the individual customs desk people , are you Benjo ? he looked at me strangely and said move to Desk 1 please . My memory of gbenjo's face must have failed me. Anyway kudos to the OPT check in people on that day , I thought they were very well organised.[/quote]

Or it was him and you are on his "list".:D

[quote name='GUT2407']Or it was him and you are on his "list".:D[/quote]

It is becoming a very long list:D:D:D

Don't think it was me if it was the person directing you to the check in desk as I have not done that job for some time ( and I would have known who I was ):D Edited by gbenjo