What one thing was UNNECESSARY?

jko121

The number one useless thing we brought was....an over the door organizer for storage................we had enough cubbynooks for everything.

Also the best Item I brought and will continue to bring is a mini first aid kit with bandaids, neosporin, tylenol. immodium.

Also love my easy erase magic markers,

Leave messages on the bathroom mirror for the DD, and she gets them, no harm no fowl, it washes right off:D

This way she knows what is going on when and where.

Sea Ya

I agree totally. We have used the first aid kit often. We include OTC cold meds because the selection on the ship is very limited and the ship shops close. Nothing worse than needing medicine at night and knowing that the shops won't be open and you have to wait until you can go out to the port, find a pharmacy, etc. I've never used the easy erase markers. My 2nd most important thing is the zip-locks I use for packing almost EVERYTHING (including my first aid items).

I packed three medium thickness sweaters thinking it would get cold on deck as well as a hoodie. That was something very unnecessary in October in the Western Caribbean. All I really used was a cardigan I packed and the hoodie.

Unless I go on an Alaska cruise, I'm not packing sweaters again.

First I gotta say that I LOVE having the over the door organizer. And that is with only 2 of us.

As far as stuff goes:

Hey it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it! Unless it's weighing you down too much of course.

Before our first cruise I bought some of those 2-way radios that a few folks suggested. Maybe if we had kids they would be handy but we haven't used them one single time. We cruise with another couple and we just call or plan ahead and go out together. No need to use them since we are standing right there.

Edited by Johalla

Way too much jewelry

Way too many pairs of shoes

You don't need things to help you keep your balcony doors open. (I have had 3 balconies and managed to live without this)

SO MANY CLOTHES!!!! You can cross pack your outfits. I am with each cruise getting better at this. Like learning how 3 pairs of shorts can be created into 7 outfits by pairing them with different shirts.

The amount people bring on cruises is just insane to me. I guess the don't fly?

Oddly enough we never used the electrical outlet that everyone says to bring. We just don't travel with much that needs charging.

I agree with this as well.

We stay pretty much unplugged. We have had a cruise or two where outlets were at a minimum but we just don't bring that much and what we do bring doesn't get used much while we are on the cruise. We each have our iPhone. We bring the iPad, but only use that on the plane and only check in with the family once during the cruise because it's so expensive to do so. I also bring a hair dryer and a flat iron but none of it is really ever charging at the same time except for our phones on the last night. Which one outlet can handle 2 iPhones. I know a lot of people say bring an extension cord but I don't. I just alternate what needs to be plugged in and when.

Now if you had 3-4 people in a room at once and more than one person getting ready at once I could see this being an issue.

On one cruise I finally gave in to my husband and only packed one pair each- flip flops, dress shoes and casual daytime shoes. The casual shoes broke and if it wasn't for the ingenuity of the steward I would have been up a creek.

I had to use duct tape to keep bedside table drawers closed during a rather severe nor'easter on a North Atlantic TA. Duct tape can be used to fix a hem, mend a holes and keep a shower curtain away from "grabbing" you.

Smartphones have replaced some things on the lists. I use my IPhone for an alarm clock, use flashlight app and check email/search the web with it (when near free wi-fi).

A few clothes pins is a must to hang bathing suits on the retractable drying line in most cruise ships' showers.

The highlighter is great to use on dailies.

Never needed the over the door shoe holder but I use hardly any make-up.

Do bring at least one sweater or shawl. I have yet to go on a cruise that the dining room wasn't at 60 degrees or lower.

A bit off topic- We use a code when we sign for things.....maybe an X or a check mark somewhere on the tab. It paid off on one cruise where the was a sweatshirt charged on our account from one of the gift shops. We showed the purser that was the only receipt that had no code on it. Plus the fact it was a medium and my DH and I have had a medium on our bodies since high school!

@JKO

You know, it is SO personal. There is a thread over on "Ask a Cruise Question" forum, about the five MUST HAVE items. Person after person mentions a highlighter to mark the Daily (which arrives under your door in the evening) for the next day's activies. I took two or three colored highlighters and never touched them! Hey there's only two of us and if we really want to do something, we'll remember it. It's not like the help-wanted section of the NYT!

I never took and never missed the over-the-door shoe-caddy (again, there's only two of us and the airline restricts to a quart-zippy-bag... and one more for "dry" items). We did take over-the-door HOOKS (for the closet door, not the bathroom) to hang-dry wet raincoats. While we never encountered rain last cruise, those hooks will be going this trip.

There were a few things I didn't use on last cruise (Panama Canal last November). I never did write and deliver any thank you notes, for instance, but I still think it's a lovely idea. We'll see what makes the cut this coming cruise!

c520e52b4755e56e406f766e3588aa26.png

1f18e45d1d2e18733908514d444c3d59.png

8c6d697705f80a87f46b336f5a717085.png

132c04ec73a292f40a8fd493eef0c0af.png

Edited by crystalspin

We seem to be like so many others. The more cruises we go on, the more items we cut out on our must have lists. Regardless of how many pairs of shorts I carry, I always have "favorites" and so I now carry less in number, more of the favorites and send them to the laundry on the ship. On one cruise, a piece of my daughter's luggage had a problem with the zipper. We were in the process of getting out the duct tape to use to make sure it didn't break on the way home when our steward saw us and offered to take it to Guest Services. He said they have "people" on the ship that can sometimes fix these things. When we returned to the cabin a few hours later, the piece of luggage was sitting in front of the bed and you couldn't tell there had ever been an issue with the zipper. Never carried duct tape again. I was also told that Guest Services can get you duct tape if you have an emergency and need it. My Mother was able to get a sewing kit from Guest Services on one of our cruises when a button came off my Dad's dress shirt. We do carry a sewing kit now and we ALWAYS carry a zip lock with OTC medicines of every sort (in travel size). I'd be willing to pay the jacked up price, but when you wake up in the middle of the night and have an upset stomach, headache, toothache, sudden cold symptom, the ship shops are closed and you have to wait until the ship docks and you can wander around in a port looking for a pharmacy.

Too many shoes, not enough tops.

Didn't use the highlighter but found the battery operated bedside clock with a nightlight useful in an inside cabin.

Didn't need the raincoat but a light cardigan was usual for the theatre which was sometimes chilly due to air-conditioning.

My tablet. I always think I will use it for reading books, taking pictures and quickly get on the internet while in port. Nope, I always end up using my cell phone and I start to read a book, but then end up vegging out and staring at the beautiful ocean water.

Edited by Roadtripster

I didn't realize this was an option. Anyone know if there are there facilities on NCL's Sun?

I don't believe any of Norwegian ships have a self-serve laundry. I know the N.Star did not last year, and according to cruisemates-dot-youknowwhat, the N.Sun does not either.

On the other hand, you could count on using the HAL laundry rooms, only to find them closed and locked at the first hint of Noro Virus on board.

If you're on a ship with coin-operated washing machines, you can get quarters from the "purser" or front desk. No need to pack those heavy rolls of quarters! (Google tells me a roll of quarters weighs half-of-a-pound! Current carry-on limits are about 18 lbs on several major airlines! No quarters for me!)

I didn't realize this was an option. Anyone know if there are there facilities on NCL's Sun?

No self-service laundry on Norwegian. However, they will offer a mid-point "All you can stuff in the paper laundry bag" for $29. If you are creative and roll things small and tight you can really get a lot of clothing in them. Just be warned that sending out 'delicates' isn't a good idea, just rinse them in the sink and hang on the line provided in the shower.

-Too many shoes.

-Too many nice outfits. Read all those threads about dress code & thought I should wear something a little nicer around the ship. Nope, outside of the dining room, most people are very casual & still in swimsuits & shorts, etc. And since we ended up going to the Windjammer most meals, completely unnecessary.

-Laptop & tablets. Kids never touched once (although they use a lot for 10+ hr drive to port. So maybe still safer to bring than leave in the car). Neither did I. Used my phone.

-Electric toothbrushes. We used them obviously, but took up so much space. May just buy cheap, disposable ones for next cruise.

-Extension cord - not allowed. Was confiscated.

-Too many curling irons/flat irons/ blowdryer. I just let my hair air dry plus there was blowdryer in cabin.Only curled once for formal night.

-Socks. Only need 1 pair for ice skating, which we never got a chance to do.

-Sand toys. The kids enjoyed them but so big & bulky to carry in port. Nobody wanted to be stuck carrying them, so only used once.

For snacks on port, we packed cereal boxes, etc from the WindJammer. Worked great.

Things I WISHED I had:

-Thin hangers- not enough in the closet (RCL)

-Waterproof case for my phone (trying to take pics at beach w fear of dropping phone in water)

-Alarm clock (used alarm on my phone but was muted one morning & missed it. I like the idea of using wakeup call. Should have thought of that)

-Over door hook -kept looking for place to hang something. Not much floorspace)

-More sunscreen. We don't use much at home. Didn't realize how fast we'd (adult+3kids) go through a big bottle & very expensive to buy on ship/in ports.

I love to take a collapsable cooler. We use it in the room and the room steward fills it with ice every day. I drink a lot of water and it is nice to have a cold water in the room.

This is a great idea, and going on my list. We had the ice bucket filled twice a day... and it was always melted by the time we needed it. Calling for more was useless

• 2 weeks later...
We have only been on 2 cruises and so far I have learned that I dont need:

1. To take so many shoes.

2. Dont need to bring towels. you can take the cruise ships off the ship or get them at the pool area.

3. Dont need A change of clothes for every single day.

4. Only one formal dress. Last cruise we only did one formal night and skipped the second to go to the specialty restaurant.

5. Bring a book. They have a library on the ship if I feel like reading something. I bought a book at the airport twice and never read it. I was to busy relaxing and going to the shows or on excursions.

6. Take less tops and buy a souvenir top to wear on the last day or when off boarding.

We are doing the Mediterranean next year and plan to pack as lightly as humanly possible! Def doing laundry before we get off the ship since we will be doing a land trip for a week after.

I like your style.

JB

• 3 weeks later...

Reading over these suggestions, I findvit a good idea to think about your itinerary. If you are going to Alaska, you won't be walking around the ship in shorts and bathing suits--at least not most of the time! If you are going to Europe, you will need different clothes than a tropical cruise--no shorts in churches! So, please, be aware of the climate and the styles required for different cruise destinations!

I've never used my emergency med kit, but I am still taking it every time (antacids, anti diarrheal, aspirin substitute, antibacterial ointment, etc.)!

• 2 weeks later...

After our first cruise on Disney, we took a over the door hanger.

Our DD doesnt put anything away at home in her own bathroom, what made me think she would change on a vacation.:eek:

We now travel without it and have more luggage space.

The crown loft suites on Allure, she had her own bathroom, and managed fine, and we had our own upstairs bathroom and did better.

Enjoy

Save the luggage space.

Sea Ya

@ 4CruisingSake

RE: the thin hangers. The last two cruises, I took my husband's button-up shirts (all he wears) already on the dry-cleaners' hangers, folding each one's sleeves across the chest in turn, then folding in thirds from the tails up. They didn't take up much more room! and the six or seven extra hangers turned out to be exactly enough to hang everything we had (with the ones in the closet)(NCL and HAL). OTOH, I've heard people say that you can ask your steward for more hangers.