What one thing was UNNECESSARY?

jko121

Interesting thread. We have traveled for many years and did start out taking information from a "Must Have" list and created my own list. I do the list in a spreadsheet so I can alphabetize it and change it whenever necessary. I still use the same list and copy it into a new spreadsheet if I'm going to a colder or warmer climate. My list has everything from deodorant to vitamins -- how many tops, pants, shoes (including colors), etc. While I still pack too much, I'm getting better.

When I pack I check the items off of the list. This avoid duplication in case I forget that I already packed something.

I love to read (although not as much on a cruise) and gave up "books" years ago as they are way too heavy. Kindles are now quite inexpensive and many e-books are much less expensive than paperback or hardcover books so overall, having a Kindle saves money.

Many places now have a very compact device with both USB ports and plugs (lightweight - found it on Amazon). In terms of shampoo/conditioner (if you want to bring some), decant it into small plastic bottles (small bottles manufactured by Nalgene do not leak). If you take a whole bottle of shampoo and conditioner, it will likely weight at least 1/2 - 1 lb. each.

I just read a post where someone wrote "less tops". IMO, you need many more tops than pants/shorts. We sail on an upscale cruise line where we do need to dress up somewhat. So, I have three pair of heels (silver, gold and black - this matches almost everything) and inexpensive small handbags (again - from Amazon) to match. Then I pack a couple of flip flops and sandals). Lightness for me is important in terms of the weight of the suitcases. I also pack black and navy slacks (sometimes a couple each) and a long black skirt. My weakness is the tops. I have casual tops and fancy tops - both of which can be worn with the slacks. Never pack jeans as they are too heavy to pack and too warm in tropical climates. I do pack a couple of pairs of shorts and capris.

Anyway, the bottom line for me is my list. It alleviates my having to think about what to pack. To be honest, I dread packing and am not looking forward to packing for a 25 cruise to the Amazon next month. It will be hot and sweaty - wish that I could wear paper clothing and just throw it away:evilsmile:

Must have a certain pair if shoes end up not wearing

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The average man has 3 pairs of shoes; the average woman has 30 pairs. Therefore the average man is spectacularly ill-equipped to advise his wife on which pair of shoes to wear tonight ...

And, the moment every man dreads - his wife appears from her dressing room and says, 'Well ...?' :D

With apologies to Jasper Carrott, whose original material this is - circa 1993.

I took too many bathing suits. I took 3, just in case. Figuring two to have for back to back water days.

But found they were dry enough by morning to wear again.

YMMV, depending on the exact suit material.

Where I took two and they were still wet, so this time I'm taking three [emoji1]

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Super excited! We are taking our first ever cruise in December to celebrate by 40th birthday! As I'm looking through all these "MUST" pack lists, it makes me wonder :confused: ...

What was the one item you packed that you thought you HAD to have with you... but then never used and was a waste of space?

A bathing suit

I'm glad I found this, though I'm still a bit befuddled... Leaving day after tomorrow and I've been told I should take 14 pairs of shorts and one pair of jeans for a 7 night cruise. :confused:

Wow, way too many shorts, IMO. I take more like 3-4, even for a two week cruise. I do take one pair of jeans--light weight semi-skinny jeans for me--and a couple of pairs of capris. Also maybe some leggings.

Unless I've worn them all day I can usually wear shorts more than once. I also bring along a couple of running shorts and tend to wear them in the room or up to the lido --i do exercise in them, mostly walking.

Re: post about hangers. I always ask the steward for more hangers the first day. They always bring plenty.

There are a lot of things I can do without; to name just one--alarm clock. We just leave wake-up calls if we have to get up early. Most clocks have annoying sounds and/or lights.

And less shoes--always a temptation for me to throw in just one more pair. I can and have got by with a pair of walking shoes, sandals and black heels, but I prefer a couple more pairs.

Those disinfectant wipes to wipe down your cabin with.... I packed those for the last time. I find the embarkation process exhausting and aggravating and I am never in the mood for cleaning after that - and I still do not get sick. I also can't seem to find time to read a book, either. I'm always too busy on the ship - and when I'm not I want to enjoy the view not read. Waiting in line to get on the ship is a better argument for bringing a book - but I found it too much hassle trying to read, juggle carry ons, and make sure my sun hat didn't blow off! So the book was a waste. Finally, I don't need "6 swimsuits" or even 3 for that matter. One to wear if one is wet is fine. I enjoy the beaches but those crowded public pools.... not so much.

As for "must bring" items I brought because of those lists and found I couldn't live without them: magnetic hooks and clips (great for lanyards, excursion tickets, ship newsletters!) a travel alarm clock, sunscreen, towel clips (great for hanging up wet clothes, not just securing your towel to a chair!), a camera, and money (never bring enough of that!)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm glad I found this, though I'm still a bit befuddled... Leaving day after tomorrow and I've been told I should take 14 pairs of shorts and one pair of jeans for a 7 night cruise. :confused:

That's crazy!!!! I'm about to go on a two week cruise, and for bottoms, I have a pair of jeans, two maxi skirts (like sweatpants, only they work in the MDR), and a single pair of jean shorts. Oh, and a pair of shorts to toss over my bathing suit. Now, if we're counting pajamas, I have a pair of pants and a pair of shorts because I never know what the temp controls in the room will do, and I can't sleep if I'm too cold. :-)

Lol, I have to laugh because there is one thing that I take on each and every cruise, but have never used: a box of Bonine tablets. The same damn box, which we’ve never opened, yet have taken on all of our cruises and will take with us on our 6th cruise this weekend. My husband made a comment that it’s probably expired by now, but I can’t bring myself to buy some more. At this point I feel like it’s a tradition to bring that same box of Bonine with us on every cruise.

Lol, I have to laugh because there is one thing that I take on each and every cruise, but have never used: a box of Bonine tablets. The same damn box, which we’ve never opened, yet have taken on all of our cruises and will take with us on our 6th cruise this weekend. My husband made a comment that it’s probably expired by now, but I can’t bring myself to buy some more. At this point I feel like it’s a tradition to bring that same box of Bonine with us on every cruise.

Maybe it is your good luck item you pack since you don't seem to get sea sick and don't need it. My Bonine was always opened because I used it the day before I got on the ship to prevent getting sick. So it was good luck for me as well. I say keep on taking it with you :D.