Mens Dress code

Lesley52

As an ex resident of Bermuda I asked this question - I was told that dress shorts were acceptable with plain long hose socks, and shoes. I would double check before wearing them though.

Dress shorts being of a material similar to suit material

Edited by Ataraxia
clarification

Do men always have to wear long trousers in the restaurants?

Simple answer - yes.

Things can get slightly relaxed at lunchtime - but it depends on the Maitre D' and I would not rely on it.

Anyway, long trousers less than £10 at Tesco or Asda, one black pair will suffice...

As an ex resident of Bermuda I asked this question - I was told that dress shorts were acceptable with plain long hose socks, and shoes. I would double check before wearing them though.

Dress shorts being of a material similar to suit material

I visit Bermuda a couple of times a year and the shorts worn as described so actually look very smart with a suit jacket or tux - they suit Bermuda very well and are common place.

However they would probably look out of place and certainly draw attention in the MDR.

But if you are from Bermuda and these are part of your regular evening dress then in the same way a Scot might wear a kilt then good luck to you and wear them, they would certainly make a good conversation piece - if you could put up with the whispers, pointing and gawps!

If however you just want to wear smart shorts for the sake of it then the MDR on a cruise ship is not the place!

Shorts are most definitely permitted in the main dining rooms for breakfast and lunch and large numbers of passengers will be wearing them, so you won't be alone. In the evening it's a definite 'No' even on casual nights.

If it's your first cruise and your ship has 'informal' as a dress code, you may also be pleased to know that ties are not required (although some, mostly elderly gents do wear them and it's fine that they do).

Cruises are a lot more relaxed than they used to be, with formal nights being the only evenings where the code is fairly strictly enforced - although some people mange to do that badly and don't seem to be thrown overboard!