HAL visits Antigua and Leon

barante

El Quetzal and Corinto are seldom together on itineraries. That's why two forthcoming HAL cruises may be of interest. In fact, I booked this yesterday:

18 Days Transcanal/Panama Canal

Holland America Line • ms Amsterdam

San Diego, Puerto Vallarta, Huatulco, Puerto Chiapas, Puerto Quetzal, Corinto, Puerto Caldera, Panama Canal, Oranjestad/Aruba, Curacao, Half Moon Cay, Fort Lauderdale

1 departure date: Dec 18 2015

The other may be even more intriguing. Here is the itinerary:

16 Days Coastal Cruises

Callao, Puerto San Martin, Puerto Caldera, Corinto, Puerto Quetzal, Zihuatanejo, Manzanillo, Puerto Vallarta, San Diego

1 departure date: Dec 2 2015

Puerto San Martin would be of interest to me. Because my hometown Baltimore reigned as the guano trading capital world during the Clipper ship days. That's where all that ---- comes from, droppings of seals, bats, penguins, and birds. Captains hated ferrying that stuff because it was a fire hazard. It emitted such a strong odor of ammonia that crew members could only spend five minutes at a time in the hold. As a historian put it, guano killed rats but was equally harsh on ship's cats.

Edited by barante

El Quetzal and Corinto are seldom together on itineraries. That's why two forthcoming HAL cruises may be of interest. In fact, I booked this yesterday:

18 Days Transcanal/Panama Canal

San Diego, Puerto Vallarta, Huatulco, Puerto Chiapas, Puerto Quetzal, Corinto, Puerto Caldera, Panama Canal, Oranjestad/Aruba, Curacao, Half Moon Cay, Fort Lauderdale

1 departure date: Dec 18 2015

We had this same itinerary this past April/May 2014, on the Zuiderdam. Really enjoyed the variety of ports. If you have not been to Antigua, be sure to consider that when calling at Puerto Quetzal. It is a delightful colonial town. We took the ship's transfer and then met a private guide there for a walking tour of the town.

We did a FLL to Seattle on the Amsterdam in April/May. I decided then and there that I would want to go back to Antigua and Leon. The Amsterdam's holiday cruise in 2015 does that and gives us also an opportunity to do something we have not done in recent years -- really dress up at Christmas and New Year's.

It is a pity that so few ships go to Leon (Corinto port) or Antigua (Quetzal). Or that their port time is very tight. Puerto Vallarta (where we have been before) and Puerto Chiapas and Curacao differ from the earlier cruise. And since this is a reverse, our last day before arriving in FLL will be a beach day at HAL's private island.

The Amsterdam's holiday itinerary is the best I could find. A bit pricey, but that's the holiday premium for an itinerary that is hard to find.

And it also gives an opportunity to go to San Diego a couple of days in advance. A great city, with surprisingly affordable small hotels.