Question for those who have the Carnival credit card

crazyboutdisney

I think the best way to do this is, Wait until after your cruise. You get double points for everything on the ship. Then you have I think 180 days after your cruise to cash in. Just go on-line and get a credit on your card. If you want OBC I think it costs you more points.

At a certain point, you also get a better rate redeeming your points post cruise (aka applying your points to your credit card balance) than buying OBC before hand.

We recently received our Carnival card and have enough points for $100 onboard credit. How does that work? Do we redeem that before we sail and it reflects on the credit card?

Yes redeem with the CCL C/C 2-3 weeks before you sail.

you can do it online . You will get a notice in your cabin that you received a $100 OBC

If you have 20,000 points you can get $200 in OBC which is the same as paying $200 off your bill, so it is a break even. The only thing you gain by paying after you cruise is that you get double points for everything you charge on the ship.

You can also use your points to pay for your tips before you cruise.

At a certain point, you also get a better rate redeeming your points post cruise (aka applying your points to your credit card balance) than buying OBC before hand.

Very true... For the same amount of points that would have given me $200 OBC, I got $300 statement credit.

Don't buy OBC, just use the card for all your on board purchases and then use points for statement credit! :D

Sounds like a good plan as we'll be booking our 2016 B2B while on our 2015 B2B so we'll rack up more points on those deposits.

Yes, points expire after 5 years.

"Eligible purchases" are just about any travel-related purchases, including airfare and hotels, but Carnival purchases give you a better redemption rate.

To get to the page where you can redeem points for a statement credit:

- click "Manage Rewards" tab

- then, under "Pay with FunPoints", under the picture of the cruise ship, click "Redeem Now" button

- a page with your eligible purchase will then show up and you can choose and redeem from there.

:)